Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: American International Racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Anyone have experience with American International Racing body kits.

How good they are, how difficult to install and what level of experience is required to pull off an installation.

Thanks.

Randal
john rogers
The quality of their kits is good but like any fiberglass parts they will take a bit of work to make them fit. The same is true of GT Racing or any of the other manufacturers too.
Randal
QUOTE(john rogers @ Dec 30 2006, 10:45 AM) *

The quality of their kits is good but like any fiberglass parts they will take a bit of work to make them fit. The same is true of GT Racing or any of the other manufacturers too.

Thanks John..

Aaron Cox
getty stuff fits....

i have an AIR gt valence.... looks like it was made by a 4 yo.... fit sucks.
Randal
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 31 2006, 11:16 AM) *

getty stuff fits....

i have an AIR gt valence.... looks like it was made by a 4 yo.... fit sucks.

The fit sucks?
TimT
I bought a 935 body kit from Dan McClaughlin (AIR)

He allegedly made, or supplied glass for most of the west coast US built 935s.

The fit of the glass was horrendous ( Ive stated this many times before)..

Ive also had the misfortune of trying make other AIR pieces fit 911s...

See you have to make them fit because the molds are so shitty, that they dont resemble the intended car anymore.

Or of course your friend could buy his parts from someone who makes things that fit........... Getty/Shaw..

Caveat Emptor.... AIR=POS quite simple
TimT
I wish we had taken pics when we built the 935.. it was just the dawn of the digital age when we built it..

But.. We had to cut/reshape every single piece... On the front fenders we had to cut off the mounts to the door jambs, and reglass them so that the fenders would mount properly..... additionally we had to section the front fender such that met the profilfe of the hood..

Then of course there is the hood.. yet another POS in a POS body kit
PORobinSCHE
anyone ever dealt with Showcars? i believe they are in Canada.

RJJ
Randal
QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Dec 31 2006, 07:51 PM) *

anyone ever dealt with Showcars? i believe they are in Canada.

RJJ

I thought they distributed AIR products. Lots of the same pictures on the same sites.
byndbad914
QUOTE(TimT @ Dec 31 2006, 07:13 PM) *

I bought a 935 body kit from Dan McClaughlin (AIR)

He allegedly made, or supplied glass for most of the west coast US built 935s.

The fit of the glass was horrendous ( Ive stated this many times before)..

Ive also had the misfortune of trying make other AIR pieces fit 911s...

See you have to make them fit because the molds are so shitty, that they dont resemble the intended car anymore.

Or of course your friend could buy his parts from someone who makes things that fit........... Getty/Shaw..

Caveat Emptor.... AIR=POS quite simple

agree.gif their parts fit like crap. The rear bumper on my car has a couple hours of f'ing with it by a professional body guy (I gave up) and he basically said he would need to cut some pieces out of it and re-align/rebuild it to make it look right. for the time he would have charged me (and had already charged me) I would have had more than double the initial cost in it.

I have heard great things about Getty. If their stuff is less than double the AIR, buy it because the AIR will cost that much again to fix it and not worth the PITA to mess with.
flesburg
I would buy again from MR Chassis, or from Getty..........and no one else,

Just my 2 cents worth.
Misha
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 29 2006, 11:57 AM) *

AIR glass is very poor quality. Getty glass is a much better fit right out of the box.

Misha
neo914-6
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 29 2006, 11:57 AM) *

I have a friend that is considering using one for his 911 and would like to know how good they are, how difficult to install and the level of experience required to pull off an installation.

Thanks.

Randal

GD Racing 3.8 914 had AIR bodywork and it looked great. I don't know how much the bodyshop worked them but their name was on the car (don't recall). Call Tony C, it may still be there...
campbellcj
Assuming you mean Topper Chasse...yep he made some really good stuff from what I've seen. Unfortunately he passed-away in the last year or two. I don't know if anybody is continuing the business with his molds and stuff.

QUOTE(flesburg @ Jan 2 2007, 07:55 PM) *

I would buy again from MR Chassis, or from Getty..........and no one else,

Just my 2 cents worth.

crash914
can't find any info on mr chassis....got any resources?
naro914
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 29 2006, 02:57 PM) *

Thanks.

Randal

Our car Papa Smurf is a full AIR kit. Yes, it took some time to "fit" it on, but the results were great. With such wide flares, we obviously had to make support brackets anyway, sot it really wasn't much of an issue...And it's held up quite nice for over 5 years now. I don't know of another kit that looks as good for a 914.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 27 2007, 06:12 AM) *

Our car Papa Smurf is a full AIR kit. Yes, it took some time to "fit" it on, but the results were great. With such wide flares, we obviously had to make support brackets anyway, sot it really wasn't much of an issue...And it's held up quite nice for over 5 years now. I don't know of another kit that looks as good for a 914.

you car looks very nice and i do like that kit ... thumb3d.gif

but i still think roger sheridan's body kit is the sexiest (my very own personal opinion, of course). i want one of his widebody kits for the street ...

http://www.ultimate914.com/

IPB Image

IPB Image

bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.