Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help w/ CV install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CHAFF
Hi All,

anyone got a good picture or idea of how to compress the CV's back against the spring retainer to get the dumb c-clips on? Or can a guy just install a thinner "retaining ring"

-L
r_towle
Last time I had to do this.

Clamp axle shaft in the vise, dont push against the other CV joint.

put everything on, including the clip
Get a deep socket, just the right size to push against the clip, yet fit over the end of the axle.

TAP the clip in place.
If all the parts are clean, and there is no grease/dirt holding you up, it should work.

Rich
CHAFF
I'll give'r a shot.

thx
-L
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 29 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Last time I had to do this.

Clamp axle shaft in the vise, dont push against the other CV joint.

put everything on, including the clip
Get a deep socket, just the right size to push against the clip, yet fit over the end of the axle.

TAP the clip in place.
If all the parts are clean, and there is no grease/dirt holding you up, it should work.

Rich

r_towle
part 8 holds it all in place.
part six needs to be opened and put on the shaft as far as you can by hand, then tap it down....you will feel it snap in place.

Rich
CHAFF
my part 6 doesn't quite make it in. Seems like the internal cv needs to be pressed against 8 to compress it so that it flattens out and then 6 will seat. If I had a press I could probably use that with the socket trick. I don't have the clips as shown in the manual. I have the sharp edge clips (which I presume are factory) - similar to the ones that hold in the adjuster mech in the rear calipers. (But much bigger)

-L

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 29 2006, 01:36 PM) *

part 8 holds it all in place.
part six needs to be opened and put on the shaft as far as you can by hand, then tap it down....you will feel it snap in place.

Rich

Crazyhippy
i've always used a 20 ton press from Harbor freight... Made an attachment that fits over the c-clip, and has holes so i can push the c-clip down and into the slot...

BJH
BGman
i don't mean to hijack the thread...but I have always wondered what item 3 "shim plate" does?
CHAFF

I think it serves a washer to distribute the torque of the bolts against the weaker CV boot cap, rather than drive the bolt through it.

-L

QUOTE(BGman @ Dec 30 2006, 09:20 AM) *

i don't mean to hijack the thread...but I have always wondered what item 3 "shim plate" does?

CHAFF
K time to update this with my lesson learned mistake.

I had completely dismantled my CV joints - cleaned, lubed, reassembled.

I did not notice this....the CV joint will only go back on the CV shaft in one direction. This way the spring retainer gets fully compressed and the clip will fit on properly...otherwise its damn near impossible to press it down (I tried). I also built a cheapo press to put this together.

-L
swood
Wow.

That's intense.

My advice is simple.........make sure you put the cv on the axle with the clip befricken for you mate the cv to the stub. Don't friggen ask!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.