Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GGR TTers and AXers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
DanT
GGR AXers and TTers, this is a proposal I have made to the incoming Comp. Dir. and the DEC. What do you think?

I would like the Competition Director/DEC to consider an immediate Tech bulletin for tire points. This could be instituted prior to the upcomming 2007 competition season. Many competitors have yet to ordrer/buy competition tires for the 2007, so this could be implemented without undue stress for the majority of competitors.
An increase in the granulairty of the points assessed for tire types/wear ratings would help move some cars into a more competitive class.
Currently in AX taking a totally stock car and placing any R rated tire on it for competition moves it up essentially 3 classes ( assuming that the points spread for each class is 50 points)

tire points
>100 WR 0 points
</=100 but > 40WR 50 points
</=40 WR 100 points
full race slicks 150 points

In this way an upgrade for any given car would only potentially move it up one class, for the first division of R rated tires.
DOT R tires such as R/A3S06 Hoosier, Kumho V710s have a decided traction advantage over DOT R tires such as Toyo RA1s, Kumho Victoracers, and Nitto NT01s
Initially when the points classification was proposed, one of the talking points was not to have any one modification move a car into a class where it became uncompetitive.

Also make the points for tires the same for AX and TT.

I see no reason for a differing points total for tires for AX and TT.

thank you for you consideration
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 29 2006, 02:06 PM) *

GGR AXers and TTers, this is a proposal I have made to the incoming Comp. Dir. and the DEC. What do you think?

I would like the Competition Director/DEC to consider an immediate Tech bulletin for tire points. This could be instituted prior to the upcomming 2007 competition season. Many competitors have yet to ordrer/buy competition tires for the 2007, so this could be implemented without undue stress for the majority of competitors.
An increase in the granulairty of the points assessed for tire types/wear ratings would help move some cars into a more competitive class.
Currently in AX taking a totally stock car and placing any R rated tire on it for competition moves it up essentially 3 classes ( assuming that the points spread for each class is 50 points)

tire points
>100 WR 0 points
</=100 but > 40WR 50 points
</=40 WR 100 points
full race slicks 150 points

In this way an upgrade for any given car would only potentially move it up one class, for the first division of R rated tires.
DOT R tires such as R/A3S06 Hoosier, Kumho V710s have a decided traction advantage over DOT R tires such as Toyo RA1s, Kumho Victoracers, and Nitto NT01s
Initially when the points classification was proposed, one of the talking points was not to have any one modification move a car into a class where it became uncompetitive.

Also make the points for tires the same for AX and TT.

I see no reason for a differing points total for tires for AX and TT.

thank you for you consideration

Dan,
I assume that you are looking for comments on this? This will spread things out a bit. I think many of us really didn't care what class we were in because the simple act of updating the car put us out of competition. Sooooo in order to keep doing what we love, we pretend or make ourselves believe we don't care and fun run instead of compete.
By the way... in a slight hijack it is nice to see Chilli posting on this. Not only is he a 914 dude (even his Boxster is just a late model 914) but he is the new SVR President and about to be inducted into the Zone 7 Wall of Fame... Congratulations Mike!
DanT
Now those should be some interesting board meetings biggrin.gif
I have known Chilli since 1990. Ken Mack was Tech Inspection Director for Parade that year. Chilli and I both worked Monterey Parade Tech inspection.
There was way too much Fosters available for free for the tech crew that year (Fosters was the Porsche indy car sponsor then) beer3.gif
I then worked with Chilli, Larry, and Chet off and on over the years at head of grid at the GGR TT series. Congrats to Chilli... Great Porsche guy.

"you don't have to be smart to own a Porsche" a famous Chilli quote from the GGR TT series.

Anyway...any other comments or input?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.