Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coating or plating?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
I did quite a bit of searching for a local guy to plate my hardware (door locks, hood latches, etc), and finally found a small motorcycle shop that would do it. I'm paying about $45 for him to blast the hardware to metal, then I'm going to get it coated. I originally wanted to get it plated, but the guy told me it would be significantly cheaper to have it powder coated (about 1/3 the price). What do you guys think? Will powder coating hold up on a door striker?
Engman
No powder coating on door strikers. Plating is way harder and will not chip.

M
Lou W
agree.gif I put all my parts that I wanted plated in vinegar overnight, then sent them out to be replated. Check with BD Stone, he has the striker plates available that have been replated like these, these have been zinc plated. He has lots of other replated parts available too.
project-914
took mine to a chrome shop...and instead of chroming they zinc/gold dipped them...very nice!...all that for $100 and I will take more parts back there such as the ones you speak of

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.