Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Year, New Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnlush
Here's my challenge for 2007. It's a real '71/6. The body shop hasn't got it on their Celette bench yet but are encouraging that it can be straightened. I'll definitely need some help rounding up parts - preferably in the south-bay area. Once I get a better idea of what's needed that I don't have I'll post a WTB in the classifieds. Best to all for the new year! -JohnClick to view attachment
Ferg
Cool John! clap56.gif

Like you need another car smiley_notworthy.gif is it still in CA? I wanna see it once it's in WY.

Happy Holidays

Ferg
johnlush
Yeah, like I need another armpit........ Yep, still in CA - the goal is to get as much of the body work done out there as I can afford before going to get it.
Mueller
nice...got any history on the accident or how the car got that way??

good luck and thanks for saving another 914 smiley_notworthy.gif
johnlush
It actually belongs to my brother in law - I will let him speak up if he chooses to. Not sure if he is hanging out here on the "world" or not. He's really bummed about it - the insurance co. totaled it and we're buying it back. It's too cool not to try to save - an original '71/6, currently sporting a 3.0 and a 915 but has the original 2.0 and 901.
VaccaRabite
I think that I remember seeing a thread on that car either here or on the club site or somewhere before christmas.

Good on you guys form bringing it back.

Zach
TROJANMAN
nice one john
i will be lightening the load on a '71 1.7 soon
let me know what you need
McMark
Very cool. Looks to be very salvageable. I'm looking forward to continued progress pics. wink.gif
johnlush
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! I sure hope it's salvageable. There sure appears to be some chassis twisting as some of the body gaps got weird. Greg, I'm really interested in the '71 - are you parting it out? I know for a fact that I will be needing a left front fender, hood, and left strut. Some of the rest of it I may have. Oh, and I need a nice top too.
johnlush
02.25.07 Update-------

Talked to the bodyshop friday. They finally got it on the lift and made some assessments. First off, he said he was convinced it can be straightened. He has the Celette bench but needs to get the attachments for the 914. Said the left front is the worst which seems obvious from the pictures and the rear is not as bad as he originally thought, surprisingly. Since all of the suspension needs to come off I thought now was a good time to change out the front end with something with bigger brakes. I found a pair of Koni struts with aluminiun S calipers. (Thanks Stu!)

Here's a question: are the trailing arms the same between the /4 and /6? I have one from a /4 car. How about the axle? I know the CV is different, right? This will be a bit of a challenge as the car in in San Jose and I'm in WY so I'm trying to source parts out there to minimize all the shipping. Goal is to have the SJ bodyshop do as much of the body work as I can afford right now and get it back to roller status so I can go get it soon. Road trip!
TROJANMAN
john,
i have a complete front/rear suspension from a '73
good front and trunk lids
and an extra targa top

contact me on the local board if you need anything wink.gif
johnlush
Carnage and progress.

This is what a 6-8" dia. tree will do: (fiber's not always a good thing)

Click to view attachment

The progress part(s) - Koni struts with aluminium "S" calipers:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.