Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Dad birthday tec
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
howell914
My father turns 60 in a few days and has also just retired. Like many men of that generation he dedicated his life to work and his family. Now he finds himself with lots of down down, time esp during the winter. Any ideas on a gift ? And no, 914 rebuilding is not in the cards.
BMITCHELL
Does he like to fish or flyfish? idea.gif If he does, look around for some kind of kit to start him on to making his own flies durning the winter months and he can try them out in the spring.
howell914
Just started fresh water fishing, fly fishing might be a good alternative. Thx
Cap'n Krusty
Volunteer work comes to mind........ There's lots to be done, and the satisfaction is truly rewarding. Both my parents, now in their mid-80s, have been following their passions on a volunteer basis since before my dad retired 20 years ago. The Cap'n
904svo
Tell him to look at Serline lathe and milling machine. These or small metal
working machines which will keep him busy for many hours building small
engine, steam or air powered. This is what I use to make the parts I need
for my friends and my self.
Crazyhippy
Kinda depends on what he likes to do. My dad fell in love w/ wood turning when he retired, so now he spends all day in the garage making sawdust.

He has also taken to World of Warcraft the uber video game. If he's a computer guy of course...

BJH
PinetreePorsche
914 rebuilding not in the cards--OK, but what about just driving one? Has he had the fun of driving yours? (At least I assume you have one). I got my first one when I was 60 (2nd at 61!), one that was almost perfect--needed the heater fan trouble shot (I did it--but so could you), and the front vent fan, too (I haven't yet--our summers aren't too ban--maybe some year), not much else. Just over 4 grand. Maybe give him yours, get a hotter one? (-with the guarantee that it goes back to you in the will?). Even here where we have some winter, mine is out almost daily--it's a hoot. We need something to keep us from getting old when we get old! Me--I;m waiting for Jake to finish up his turbo research project to upgrade mine accordingly. May even take up autocross! After all, Paul Newman races at 80-ish!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.