Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking valve cover gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjkavanagh
All,
When replacing valve cover gaskets, do you use any sealant on the gaskets or go with just the gasket?
-Rob
scotty b
I prefer a thin film of sealant. Grey or Orange RTV is local and cheap. Curil is better, but not local and not cheap. Loc tite same story as Curil......
PinetreePorsche
Rob: I'm on my first 914, and recently pulled a cover for the first time to check the valve lash. The cork gasket looked good, and was stuck to the cover with some goop that was hard and looked like it would last a decade. So I put a real thin layer of Sil 100GP Bondaflex, a clear-ish silicone based compound, on the side of the gasket that went against the alu head rim (after cleaning the latter). I wiggled it a little to be sure it was back at the old spot--the sil 100 is just insurance. Most definitely a good seal, a few weeks out--no sign of anything escaping. The tube says "retains elastomeric properties from -70 to 450 degrees f. Seems like that should cover me. I've run VW vans for about 35 years, and hate starting over with a new gasket if the old one is clearly fine, but may not seat back exactly as before--hence the silicone. --Chris H in the DC 'burbs
Jake Raby
Also, remember that there is a right and wrong way to install the valve covers and one of them will promote leaks more than the other...

The VW logo goes UPSIDE DOWN when the cover is installed correctly.
ptravnic
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 30 2006, 11:02 PM) *

Also, remember that there is a right and wrong way to install the valve covers and one of them will promote leaks more than the other...

I thought you were still on vacation?

hijacked.gif
rjkavanagh
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 30 2006, 08:02 PM) *

Thanks Jake, That could be the problem, I have the logo righ side up. I'll switch it around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.