Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: does anyone know aluminum?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vortrex
I have some large pieces of 1/4" thick sheet aluminum that I will be using indoors as a walkway. from being handled by fork lifts and sitting in the storage the shiny surface has scratches on it. I would like to dull the surface in a uniform manner to hide the scratches and the future wear better. any ideas on the best way to do this? I thought media blasting with a clear coat might be best. what media, what clear coat?

any thoughts are appreciated...
Katmanken
Well,

You can sandblast it, bead blast it, sand it or scuff it with a scotchbrite pad. Aluminum by itself is kinda soft. There are some hardcoat anodizes out there but are prolly expensive.

Aluminum as a wear surface is gonna be difficult. Mebbe epoxy primers like they use on aircraft.

Heck, all the old the stone steps in Europe are dished in the middle. Feet/shoes are abrasive.

Ken
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vortrex @ Nov 17 2003, 05:13 PM)
I have some large pieces of 1/4" thick sheet aluminum that I will be using indoors as a walkway. ... I would like to dull the surface in a uniform manner ... clear coat might be best. what media, what clear coat?

flapper wheel, clear power paint.

BTW - Comcast giveth, and they taketh away - the DVI HiDef connection quit working Friday, and it's not back yet. maybe someday ...
vortrex
ken,

yeah there will be a wear issue, but it's just a walkway to the bedroom, so shouldn't be too bad. the aluminum seems to have some sort of coating on it now, it's shiny and smooth. I was hoping for some sort of clear coat.

rich,

I can't believe it! I never even got around to hooking up my DVI. actually, I was going to do it tonight..

BTW...what's a flapper wheel?
ppickerell
Clear hard anodize after palm sanding with an random orbital sander is the ticket. Plating shops will have $50-$75 mins on the anodizing though.
vortrex
I'll look into the clear hard anodizing. these are big pieces, $75 minimum definitely won't be an issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.