Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing my 2.0L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
Okay guys. I attempted to time my 2.0L by myself and had no luck.

I am having a hard time trying to see down through the hole, rev the engine, and aim the gun.

Any tips would help smile.gif

I tried a mirror buy it was just something else to hold. I guess I can ask the wife to help ohmy.gif

Thanks
Kerry
anthony
Clean the fan where the marks are and or repaint them. White-out should be fine for the white mark. I've also found that timing late in the day or in the evening works better than trying to time it in direct sun.
KenH
Jack up one rear wheel - put the transmisson in 5th - rotate the free wheel (turning the motor) till you can see the timing marks - clean them and re-mark them as required.

Go to your local auto parts store and get a square inspection mirror that has a pull out handle. Position the mirror to see in the marks in the hole. Secure the handle with clamp or weights so the air will not move the mirror.

Ken
Kerrys914
Good point maybe I'll try it at sunset or at night. I assume I put the white-out on the 27degree BTC mark. I have the "timing mark" template from the bird site handy just incase things don't show up.

The engine is running okay now, I timed it by ear so I am sure it is off some.

Cheers
Kerry
Brad Roberts
I lay across the entire decklid with my head in the engine compartment about 4 inches away from the shroud hole. You need to be able to look "back" into the holes towards the engine side of the fan. You will need another person to hold it at 3K rpm. I can do it by myself.. but it may take me 2-3 tries.

B
type47
remove engine lid. only held on by 2 10mm bolts.
Brad Roberts
True about the engine lid.. problem is: people tend to loosen one side and let it hang until they get the other side off. This tweaks the "L" bracket for the lid. Just have to be careful.

B
Kerrys914
I have been laying into the compartment from the passanger side. Since I can't touch the ground when in this position...it looks dam funny from the street smile.gif

I'll give it a try this weekend with the wife helping.

Thanks guys
Kerry
Bruce Allert
I use a 6" cosmetic mirror. The kind with a stand. Prop it right next to the hole so you can see back as Brad explained. I can never hold it at 3000k, hold the gun & turn the dizzy so I just turn the dizzy a slight bit & check, turn a bit & recheck until it's right on.
bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.