Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: watching barrett jackson
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
that these muscle cars are going for! a 428 sj mustang sold for $475,000. wtf!
biosurfer1
welcome to barrett jackson...its even more unreal in person.

you can see why they give each bidder 8 (!) free drink coupons. it is dumb money for the cars.

Go to a local auction for a good price, go to barrett jackson if you want to look big on tv.
messix
looks like a swinging dick contest to me. some of these guys screwy.gif
wilchek
problem is they mess up the prices everywhere else. Know everyone things their car is worth 50K.
Jake Raby
I think its a good thing for the market... More and more cars are being dug up and restored!
william harris
1.15 million for a 70 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 former drag car screwy.gif popcorn[1].gif poke.gif
twistedstang
I was watching the other day and saw a early beetle cabriolet go for 47,000. Boy I should be able to drop my beetle and get a few 914s thumb3d.gif
project-914
69 jag e-type fast back for 27k! I woulda payed that much...and then used the money that I didn't spend on the car for a personal mechanic to drive around with me...still a sweet deal

also a mid 60's corvette restored and went for around 30k I forgot...but that's also a good deal...I've always loved that generation (63-67 or something) my dad restored a few
URY914
I thought it was called "Speed".
I can watch it for an hour but all day, come on GMAB.

(at least it's not ASSCAR)
boxstr
SPEED CHANNEL what a joke, Bobsledding for 4 hours, powerboat racing for 2 hours, then Mazda MX5 cup races for one hour, then The Graet Race movie the rest of the day, then Barrett Jackson from 2006 all day Sunday and Monday. It is
just a waste of time. I would rather work on a car than sit a watch this junk.
CCLINTHEGOLFCHANNEL
GeorgeRud
I miss the early days of ESPN2, when they covered racing and had events such as Thursday Night Thunder. If you don't like NASCAR, SPEED gets very lame. Then only time it's watchable is when they have no NASCAR news or races to cover.

Only Dave Despain's knowledge makes it tolerable.
BMartin914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 1 2007, 05:09 PM) *

I miss the early days of ESPN2, when they covered racing and had events such as Thursday Night Thunder. If you don't like NASCAR, SPEED gets very lame. Then only time it's watchable is when they have no NASCAR news or races to cover.

Only Dave Despain's knowledge makes it tolerable.

They've killed anything that isn't NASCAR or 'import tuner' related. Remember 'Legends of Motorsport'? There must be a huge archive of that show collecting dust somewhere while they roll the 4th straight hour of NASCAR coverage... barf.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 1 2007, 06:52 PM) *

I think its a good thing for the market... More and more cars are being dug up and restored!

Yeah, it's good for the market - if you're not trying to get into it. Yep, it's also great to see chassis's brought back to life. But, a large percentage of 914'ers reallt aren't concerned about selling. I have my 100% original (OK, I DID have it painted in '79) '72 that I will die with. Good for the estate I suppose, but I want another, and preferably an original six. Prices are getting a little high these days. Won't keep me from finding the right car, but what about the incoming afficianados(sp)?

So, buy now, before prices get worse. Are we certain there will be a market for these cars in 20 years? Not that I care, but what about the speculators? Remeber the mid-90's? How long will Barrett-Jackson be able to hold "idiots" prisoner to the money they have? I know the routine - "couldn't afford it when I was young......"

Well, I did have a '70 Chevelle, triple-black, hypo 350! Beautiful car I paid all of $2400 for new. Handles like a pig, but all of sudden they are in demand & go for $75K? What happens when all the boomers are too old (or wiser) to spend that kind of money for an antique. Someone looses. Though 914's aren't quite in that market arena, they are becoming wanna-be's, and bringing some decent prices for decent cars. In 5 years, they'll probably be the darlings of the auction circuit.

So, it has the possibility of destroying the network of 914owners who just love the car because of its nature & affordability (possibility).

Is it good? Yes, for the sellers. No, for those trying to enter. Means nothing to those few of us who will die with a 914 or two in the garage.
914-8
Weird how the market is. The 60s and 70s american iron is so hot right now, but the foreign 70s and 80s supercars (Testarossa, countach, etc.) prices are in the gutter. You can get a nice Testarossa, for example, for around $65,000 or so.

My guess is this is a speculative bubble in the American car market right now, which is going to tank big time. Much like the speculative Ferrari market tanked in 1990. These prices are insane and are only being paid because people believe the prices will do nothing but go up.

Outside of the speculative bubble aspect, I wonder if the American muscle car market really has legs. We all know that car guys tend to "imprint" or "bond" to the cars they lusted after as a 16-20 year old. For the american muscle cars, those guys are now 55 years old, the key age for buying toys like these.

But 20 years from now, maybe even 10, is there going to be a huge pool of buyers for these cars? Or are they going to all be dead or too old to care anymore?

I also think the supercars from the 80s are going to be the "next big thing." Those are the cars that guys who are now late 30s to early 40s lusted after. When we hit our early-mid 50s, we are going to start looking at those cars again, and a lot will have the time and money to drive the prices way up. I could see a $65,000 Testarossa (todays price), going for $250,000+ 10-15 years from now.
Allan
You guys know that the coverage you were watching was from last January right?
URY914
QUOTE(914-8 @ Jan 1 2007, 05:55 PM) *

But 20 years from now, maybe even 10, is there going to be a huge pool of buyers for these cars? Or are they going to all be dead or too old to care anymore?

I've thought about this too. In 10-20 years there will be estate sales from dead baby boomers. The market will drop.
messix
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jan 1 2007, 06:03 PM) *

You guys know that the coverage you were watching was from last January right?

yes i know. but it's just stupid money to pay for cars that aren't all that!
project-914
no kidding...600K for a hemi cuda convertible...cool car...for 50K not 600K

back to the speed point...back when it was 'speedvision' they atleast covered rally (I'm a subaru guy and entered the 914 world for a subaru powered race car) so I'm big into rally and all that...they used to have it on every two weeks but now you have to download it or get in on dvd or something all because some cultureless fuckers would rather watch 4 washed up X-NASCAR drivers talk about NASCAR for two hours straight everyday of the week...less talky more racey!
pfierb
Hard to believe some of those big time bidders look like the local rednecks that hang around the convenience store here at 6am BSing and drinking lousy coffee.....I guess money dosen't care who owns it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.