Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power from relay to fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
I have a 1974 FI 1.7, my problem is the relay continues to foul with corrosion. I clean it with electrical contact cleaner, but the problem which clears the corrosion problem for a short time. The car runs flawless except this problem and I really can't rely on the car any longer. I there a way to bypass the relay directly to the fuel pump? Thanks Mike
rmital
QUOTE(xperu @ Jan 2 2007, 09:24 AM) *

I have a 1974 FI 1.7, my problem is the relay continues to foul with corrosion.

Mike...how about reaching out to this community on the WTB portion of this site and get yourself a relay board in good condition. Might be a bit safer than hot wiring your pump....

(mike and I have been chasing relay boards "unsuccessfully" on ebay for a while. Can't seem to reach seller's reserve)
BMartin914
QUOTE(xperu @ Jan 2 2007, 05:24 AM) *

I have a 1974 FI 1.7, my problem is the relay continues to foul with corrosion. I clean it with electrical contact cleaner, but the problem which clears the corrosion problem for a short time. The car runs flawless except this problem and I really can't rely on the car any longer. I there a way to bypass the relay directly to the fuel pump? Thanks Mike

Have you used dielectric grease after cleaning? It should prevent any corrosion from occuring.
SLITS
And instead of cleaner in a can .... try a wire brush too!
SGB
There is more resistance somewhere...
try pulling that big plug near the firewall and cleaning those contacts. And the cleaner in a can isn't close to a good physical wire brushing for accomplishing a better connection.
Is the fuel pump fused seperately in an unmolested car? If so, I would check/ clean that area as well.
xperu
QUOTE(SGB @ Jan 2 2007, 09:06 PM) *

There is more resistance somewhere...
try pulling that big plug near the firewall and cleaning those contacts. And the cleaner in a can isn't close to a good physical wire brushing for accomplishing a better connection.
Is the fuel pump fused seperately in an unmolested car? If so, I would check/ clean that area as well.

Thanks a lot, I will start cleaning all the connections tonight and using the suggestion from all the 914 buddies. It's a real nice car with only 56K and this is the only problem I have had. Thanks again Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.