Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weltmeister short shift kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
cant afford a rennshift. sad.gif , is this a good idea or bad.
how much should i pay. ebay ~90 bucks
boxstr
Save your money until you can afford a Rennshift, or ask the seller for there EZ payment plan.
CCLINSHIFTYVILLE
Aaron Cox
simple economics: 90 bucks vs like what 400. I wish i could huh.gif
Jeroen
I think paying 90 bucks for something that will make your bad shifting even worse is BAD ECONOMY biggrin.gif
So either buy a RennShifter or buy nothing at all...

cheers,

Jeroen
Aaron Cox
sound advice.....it makes it worse? (more vague pattern?)

i saw dekman's beast at the d and g swap, he was running one of these idea.gif
FEF
Have you guys seen THIS?

It looks doable
Aaron Cox
Eric Tischer's tailshift cable shift setup.
redshift
Aaron... you have the best shifting setup, how's it working now?

M
Qarl
If money is an issue, spend the $ on new shift bushings all the way around and adjusting your shifter. It can make all the difference in the world.
Porsche Rescue
I have Weltmeister in my car (and new bushings) and it definitely shifts better (shorter, seems more "notchy") than stock. Not as good as Rennshift but not as expensive either. Came with the car so have no idea of cost.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kellzey @ Nov 17 2003, 07:47 PM)
If money is an issue, spend the $ on new shift bushings all the way around and adjusting your shifter. It can make all the difference in the world.

agree.gif i would have to agree with Karl ...
J P Stein
I agree with Jim. The short shifter works for me.....but my trans shifted quite well before the short shift install.....now it's better.

New was (is?) 100 bucks. 90 is too much to pay on ebay.

I'll have to test fly a Rennshifter before ploping down 400 bucks for one.
rhodyguy
after rebushing the 72' and installing a short shifter the improvement was great. i have a shifter ready to go into the silver car in a drawer in the garage. i replaced the 2 ring bushings that cradle the ball on the lever. i like the shorter action. the $90 for ebay is about what i paid for a new one still in the package from gpr.

kevin
redshift
I'll agree on 'if your shifter is in great shape', and I'll add that without a short shift kit, it's hard for me to reach 4th in my seating position.

M
campbellcj
I tried the Welt in my previous 914 and hated it. The shifting action was fine, but the lever was so short that I had to lift my right shoulder off the seat (lean forward) to hit 4th gear. That is a no-no when you are strapped into a race harness -- you wouldn't be able to tighten the belts, or would have to move the seat way too far forward. I am about 5'10" and have relatively short legs/ long torso; not everyone would have this reach issue but I have heard several mention it before.
J P Stein
Ayup, "the reach" was unacceptable. I added bout 2.5 inches to the handle. Gives ya a bit more leverage, also.

The Welt folks over-reached on on the short shift theme....I'm punned out after that one smile.gif
2-OH!
For racing or AXing probly so...But for daily driver or just a weekend car, I don't have the problem...

I did find out something interresting about my shifting problem into REV and 1st (other gears were OK)...

One of the many PO's had resurfaced the flywheel somewhere along the way and done a poor job of it.
They did not maintain the correct dimensions between the different steps of the wheel. Most paticularly the measurement from the center Hub to the clutch plate mating surface.

If this measurement is incorrect, the clutch plate will not completely disconnect from the drive train. Mine was hitting the flywheel bolts and causing trouble going into 1st & REV. Others were OK...Changing the bushings helped some and readjusting the clutch also helped but the new (or properly reworked) flywheel fixed the problem. Also going to check the synchronizer at the first opportunity.

Gears shift great now for a daily car...

2-OH!
Aaron Cox
car has 1 year old bushings. shifts great. just want a shorter throw/better feel wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.