Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ginther Windscreen Mounting Assistance Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Britain Smith
JP and I are in the middle of trying to figure out the best way to properly mount the Ginther windscreen on his car. Does anyone have any pictures or details of what others have done. We are coming across a couple of issues:

1. Where on the cowl should the windsheild be mounts? On the front, middle, or back in the location of the original windscreen.

2. How in the hell are you supposed to get your hand in there to steer, the windscreen is like 2" from the steering wheel.

3. With is all mounted, it is hard to see over the windscreen to see the front of the car...help here?

Thanks in advance,
Britain (and JP)
Chris Pincetich
Have you seen the thread on Roadglue.com with pics of the Ginther racing 914s? Lots of great photos! Good luck beerchug.gif
McMark
Why isn't JP posting? blink.gif

When I mounted Randal's Ginther screen I put it in the location of the original windscreen.

The wheel to hand clearance is small but usable. If it's too tight for you, you can install a center support (a good idea anyway, IMHO) and use the center support to push the screen up a bit. Does JP have a petty bar? That's where I mounted Randal's center support.

I can't speak to how hard it is to see or not. Randal's car had no seats. wink.gif
Misha
"3. With is all mounted, it is hard to see over the windscreen to see the front of the car...help here?"

Weren't the original Ginther screens clear plastic?

Misha
McMark
Smoked lexan I believe...
Britain Smith
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 2 2007, 02:46 PM) *

Why isn't JP posting? blink.gif

When I mounted Randal's Ginther screen I put it in the location of the original windscreen.

The wheel to hand clearance is small but usable. If it's too tight for you, you can install a center support (a good idea anyway, IMHO) and use the center support to push the screen up a bit. Does JP have a petty bar? That's where I mounted Randal's center support.

I can't speak to how hard it is to see or not. Randal's car had no seats. wink.gif

JP ain't posting this cause I am in charge of getting this to fit. I have spent many a weekend working on that car and getting it ready for the 2007 season.

-Britain

Britain Smith
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 2 2007, 03:55 PM) *

Yep, smoked lexan.
URY914
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jan 2 2007, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 2 2007, 03:55 PM) *

Yep, smoked lexan.

You guys really shouldn't be smokin' lexan.
Britain Smith
Ah, I am see stars...oh wait, those there are snowflakes...

-Britain
Mike T
I have my windscreen, a fiberglass Rennspeed part, about an inch farther forward than McMark's picture shows. I have no issues with steering wheel clearance. I also have a smaller dia. steering wheel than stock. About 13".

As far a seeing over it I am very tall in the torso and even though my Kirkey seat is bolted directly to the floor I see over the windscreen easily.

Click to view attachment

Mike T
clubracr
My car felt a little weird at first when I opened it up. It's easier on the track to drive than in the paddock. But I also had my seat so low that even when I had a regular windshield I couldn't see my corners. You'll get used to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.