Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion Bar questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Bear with me: wink.gif
  • how long do torsion bars last?
  • I want stiffer than stock Tbars up front- what size is ~ equal to 140 lb rears?
  • I have a 911 front suspension to go in, so i can run used 911 torsion bars?
  • Is this a good idea?
  • What were the stock sizes for 911/914's?
  • thats it for now?
Thanks unsure.gif
Qarl
I've got a set of 19mm 911 torsion bars from a Carrera for sale.
brant
Aaron,

I'm sure someone can chime in here with more detail.. but in a nut shell:

914s came with 17.8mm
911s came with 18.9 (or something like that)

they do not interchange becaue they have a different number of spline, as does the inside of the A-arm.
You can buy aftermarket of either style 911 or 914.

If you haven't replaced your stock ball joints and front suspension bushings yet... then its a good time to just buy the 911 style and upgrade... If you've already done those 2 jobs, then buy the 914 style.

Spring rate?.. good question. Its hard to say what is best because that depends upon intended use and driving style. someone will connect a link which shows the table to the different rates as they compute from MM. But for 140rear springs my own advice would be 19mm or maybe 20mm. (one of the reason to buy 911 arms is that you can usually get the 19mm bars for free (no one wants stock bars in their 911) and thus the upgrade includes the increased spring rate.

Misc=
-they last until they rust or crack
-if you upgrade arms take the sway bar mounts into consideration.
-there is an early and late style of ball joint

brant
Eric_Shea
<>

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm depends on the treatment they get. Others say they lose their zip after a while but I've never done a back-to-back same size comparison to see if that's correct. Usually it's "rust" that kills them. Water and condensation can build up rust 1/4" thick on the inside of the t-bar tube. The bars can rub their protective coating off and "snap". Look for this and use your judgement as you guide as to whether or not you'll want to use that a-arm.

<>

Teeners have 17mm. 911's have 19mm so you're getting that immediate advantage right out of the gate. They're commonly replaced so you can usually find 19's out there for shipping as there's virtually no demand for them. Your 911 front end should have them in there already but make sure they're not scarred or rusty. This is where it becomes a personal preference; I'm not a huge bar fan. I think there's a place for them but when a 73 RS can handle like it does with a 19mm t-bar... auhhhhhhhhhh, I start thinking that the $200 could go towards driving lessons and get me a shit load better return on investment (could Vic Elford or Brian Redman kick my ass in a stock 914 vs. one with 21mm bars? Smart money would not be on me...) Also, I think that a 17mm bar with a 90lb spring is what was stock. A 19mm bar with a 140lb spring might be a good start. Moreover... make sure you have a decent sway-bar up front. I'm using a factory through body bar from a 76 930 (18mm factory). Someone said the metalergy in these bars is better (I have no idea) and they equal aftermarket bars of larger diameter... (can't prove a single bit of it myself). Others will weigh in on the t-bar thing. I'm sure there's advantages of having bigger bars... in the end that would be your choice for your car.

<>

Yup... in fact, you'll have to. Splines are different from 914 to 911.

<>

No... it's a necessity smile.gif

<>

19mm and 17mm respectively (list, correct me if I be wrong on this)

Hope that helps...
Aaron Cox
okay... that answered some. thanks guys.

I have a 911 whole front suspension from a '72 T. has stock everything. I want some stiffer torsion bars for my teener. is 19mm pretty good for an Aggresively driven street car?. stock sway bar installed.

19mm bars for free (no one wants stock bars in their 911)
Kellzey???? wink.gif

My question is: do i want 30 year old 19mm Tbars or 20 year old torsionbars?
brant
does your suspension include the 911 a-arms ?

I wouldn't worry so much about the age of them as much as the condition... are they rusty?

If it were me I'd use them if they look good.... you've already got them and it won't cost much to use them.

You can always upgrade later...
brant
Aaron Cox
i pick it up this weekend. a complete setup (a arms, struts, tbars, brakes/calipers/hubs.)
Eric_Shea
It should have 19's in it then... it sounds quite complete. It's a perfect setup for an agressively driven street car (IMHO).

Again, check for rust inside the tubes. With everything off the car the t-bars should be in a position where they slide right out. Bring a small flashlight with you when you pick it up. Pull the bars and inspect them but don't make it a deal breaker... I'm sure Karl will give you a great deal on his smile.gif Look down the tubes and see if they're rusty. Some would be expected but chunks etc. would be a bad thing.

When checking the t-bars make sure they're not worn, chipped or rusty. "Small" imperfections can be touched up but major gouges just aren't worth it.

Here's a pic of some "real" damage I found on my 911. I'm lucky it didn't snap in two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.