Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need PPI in Phoenix area for tail dragger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
My wife is wanting to purchase a '91 911 cab, and would like to see if someone could do a walk around and drive test on one that is on Ebay right now. NOTE!! The auction ends tomorrow, so it would have to be today! Any help would be greatly appreciated, or if you can recommend a shop to do a PPI quickly in the area.

Thanks!
Rob

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7863&rd=1,1
DonTraver
Ok, there are a couple of questions you need to have answered about buying a 91 964. Most important, has it had a top end done? Next, has the dual mass flywheel been replaced?

Early 964's didn't have head gaskets, so a lot of oil/compression leaks. More importantly, all 964's had problems with valve guides wearing out between 50-70k miles. Mine failed at 51k, $6k average for a top end ovhl. Mine also passed smog 2 weeks before failure, failure happened fast, like in one day. Started engine, looking good, 2 hr drive later smoking blue smoke like crazy, used 1 qt of oil in 50 miles.

Early flywheels were a dual mass rubber cored deal, the rubber would break down and there would be no connection between center and outer ring of flywheel, no way to get power to wheels, IIRC.

Does it have the distributor vent kit installed? When? Has the dist belt been replaced? When. The ozone in the dist eats the drive belt, if the belt fails the driven dist stops and sends a spark to one spark plug, it will weld the piston to the cylinder or eat a hole in the piston. Also the car is 15 years old, even with the vent kit it's time to replace the belt. About $300.

When was the 02 sensor replaced, with what? On the 964 they're only good for about 60k, do not buy a generic Bosch, only a Porsche 02 sensor, about $180. The generic Bosch will work, until you wash the car or get caught in the rain. They're not waterproof and will short out the DME killing the engine. After they dry out, they'll work fine, until they get wet again.

I read the listing, didn't say anything about any of the things I mentioned, with the milage listed the work may have been done, if it hasn't, get ready for it. For more info go to;

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/porsche964/

Don't get me wrong, I love my RS America 964, but getting her dependable and all the maintenance up to date has cost me approx. $7-8k over the purchase price.

Good Luck, Don
jasons
It might be tough to get it into a shop on short notice. Depending on where in town the car is located...

Stuttgart Southwest is in Tempe (602) 968-6764
Zuffenhausen Motors is in North Scottsdale (480)-991-2377
Don Jackson is in West Phoenix (602) 943-0214
Becks is in N. Central Phoenix (602) 997-6572

My first choice would be Zuffenhausen, but Kens a one man show and probably won't squeeze it in on short notice. Also, hes the only one on the list I have experience with. Otherwise, from what I hear Stuttgart is good and DJ is good. Becks, I just don't know.

GOOD LUCK!

BTW I can't see the ad, I'm at work. But, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to tell you if the car is a winner. All I could tell you is whether its an absolute loser. A 964 should probably go for a PPI with a pro. Don't those leak oil pretty bad? Maybe you should look at the 86-89 Carerras.

QUOTE(914rrr @ Jan 3 2007, 08:00 AM) *

My wife is wanting to purchase a '91 911 cab, and would like to see if someone could do a walk around and drive test on one that is on Ebay right now. NOTE!! The auction ends tomorrow, so it would have to be today! Any help would be greatly appreciated, or if you can recommend a shop to do a PPI quickly in the area.

Thanks!
Rob

Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7863&rd=1,1
Ferg
agree.gif With all the above.

Looking at this car, I'd want a pro PPI without exception.

Few things:

1. Wrong wheels (those are 993 targa wheels)

2. Driver's front fender looks a shade off, could be the pics but the gap (pic from the front of car, looks uneven as well

3. mismatched tires

All these things raise a eyebrow, combine it with the engine advice from above and I would not take the risk without a shop PPI.

Ferg
jasons
FYI I just saw the ad and I know where that lot is. Becks is less than 1 mile up the road. DJ is pretty close too.
914rrr
Thanks to all for everything, especially James for the last minute PPI this AM.

Yup, it was painted on the drivers front fender and door, bad hood gaps, overspray on the backside of the top, crack in the back bumper, cracked windshield, etc.

It amazes me that slezoid used car dealers think they can pass off stromberg.gif like this as:

..."Perfect in/out...It will be hard to find one cleaner. This car is absolutely perfect in everyway. Just look at the pictures and judge for yourself. It is a Stunning White with Tan leather Interior and Black top. This is a very rare, desirable and classy color combination. This Porsche was definitely babied pampered and garaged and it shows on its outstanding condition...It has never been in any accidents..."

Quotes were taken verbatim from the auction listing!!!! What a CROOK!!!!!
Ferg
Glad you dodged a bullet. clap56.gif

Ferg
BMartin914
QUOTE(914rrr @ Jan 3 2007, 08:29 PM) *

Thanks to all for everything, especially James for the last minute PPI this AM.

Yup, it was painted on the drivers front fender and door, bad hood gaps, overspray on the backside of the top, crack in the back bumper, cracked windshield, etc.

It amazes me that slezoid used car dealers think they can pass off stromberg.gif like this as:

..."Perfect in/out...It will be hard to find one cleaner. This car is absolutely perfect in everyway. Just look at the pictures and judge for yourself. It is a Stunning White with Tan leather Interior and Black top. This is a very rare, desirable and classy color combination. This Porsche was definitely babied pampered and garaged and it shows on its outstanding condition...It has never been in any accidents..."

Quotes were taken verbatim from the auction listing!!!! What a CROOK!!!!!

Thank God for the PPI. I did't look as closely as Ferg to the pics to detect those irregularities, but I thought that that was a nice looking car. I wouldn't have expected to find what your mechanic found. NO integrity. dry.gif
jasons
I'm not too surprised at what you found. The used car lots in that area are questionable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.