Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race seat for 6'4" 275 lb driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
Looking for a seat that will work for me. Looking at custom Kirkey which is expensive. Anyone know of a stock seat that comes in 20" hip width? Seat must also sit close to the floor to assure I'm under the rollcage.
brant
The evo seat is an awesome race seat.
they make a standard evo, and an evo 2 which is much wider

brant
nebreitling
evo is pretty pricey, but looks like a nice product

http://www.saferacer.com/spevoxlrase.html
BKLA
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 3 2007, 10:53 AM) *

Looking for a seat that will work for me. Looking at custom Kirkey which is expensive. Anyone know of a stock seat that comes in 20" hip width? Seat must also sit close to the floor to assure I'm under the rollcage.

I looked for a while and couldn't find anything in stock over 17" wide. Then, I thought about cutting up a 'glass RECARO to widen it. Fortunately, better sense settled in and I decided to do a Kirkey.

This is the one that I am considering. I am 6'2" 300lbs (yes, a fat boy! biggrin.gif ), but the only way i'll fit is to get a low slope back with leg room and mounted to the floor!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I looked at the evo and sat in it. but my problem is that I don't have enough leg room based on where the back of the seat is placed in relationship to the existing roll cage rear bar and the pedal assembly. I took a sh*tload of measurements before doing anything - even with the Kirkey, I'll have to modify the rear bar of the cage to follow the firewall shape in order not to have my legs interfere with the shifter and steering wheel.
grantsfo
I'm also looking at Ultra Shield Big Boy with 19" hip. I dont think I need 21" hip width. I measure my hips just a little over 19" currently and I'm losing weight. What do people think of this seat?

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=17
Luke
Glad I'm not the only " Big Boy" with a 914 ... HA ....
brant
I have an ultra shield
its probably my 2nd favorite seat in the world.

I helped a friend build a 944Turbo S
his money, my build.

we put a pair of evo's into it.
dang that is absolutely the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in.
blows the ultra shield out of the water.

go sit in one if you have the chance.

brant
Matt Romanowski
Look at the Kirkey Intermediate Road Race. It comes up to 20" I believe. I bought an 18 or 19 and I'm loose in it. For comparison, I'm 6 foot, 300 #, 42" waist.

I had to have the floor pad support changed (reduced in height) and used 944 seat rails for sliders, but I'm low in the car and have no clearnace issues.
crash914
daaammmmmnnnnn mat, you ain't that big.....
shadygrady
I have ultrashield 18's in my race car. I like them better than the Kirkey. Of course I don't sit in mine for longer than an hour at a time. I am 6' 240 lbs with a 42" waist. I do not have sliders. I had mounts welded to roll cage and side rails to lower the seat so my head would be below the bars.
dinomium
sparco had a rev3 for a while too... dtd 5-9 290! I fit in that one...
Eddie914
What back angle works best in a 914? 10 degree or 20 degree.

I'm 6'2" and 205# and currently using a Sparco sport seat similar to the Monza. I need a seat that allows more headroom.

I am interested in a Kirkey Intermediate that would be bolted to the floor.

The question is ... 10 degree or 20 degree back angle?

TIA

Eddie
shadygrady
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Jan 22 2007, 02:39 PM) *

What back angle works best in a 914? 10 degree or 20 degree.

I'm 6'2" and 205# and currently using a Sparco sport seat similar to the Monza. I need a seat that allows more headroom.

I am interested in a Kirkey Intermediate that would be bolted to the floor.

The question is ... 10 degree or 20 degree back angle?

TIA

Eddie

Mine are 20 degrees. That allows you to lay back more to lower your head. At least that works for me. If you have 2" longer legs, that might present a problem. The guy I bought the seats from says most sold are 20 degree.
Hope this helps.

grantsfo
Here is the 18" Kirkey deluxe road race seat. Its much prettier than the car it sits in.

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.