Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot mb sL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
What does the club know and think about a mercedes Sl 380 or 560? They are built like tanks and they are cheaper then 911 for same age. I know this is apples to oranges but they look like nice cars. What to look out for? What is best year?
Thanks,
Buck
nomore9one4
Maybe Dr Evil will chime in here. I am presently looking at a '66 200 series.Got to love that old classic luxury. driving.gif
914-8
These are all older cars now, with prices that have dropped down.

Do yourself a favor and stick with an 86 or newer 560. It's a much better, stronger, sorted out car than the 380.
TravisNeff
I had an 82 500SL (grey market car) with a SOHC V8 about 15 years ago. Soft suspension and a fairly powerful engine. Nice cruizing car, quiet with the hardtop and not so bad with the soft top. Maintenance was expensive, didn't own it long enough to share any gotcha's with the car.
v82go
Its a shame your not closer, as I have one I am selling for a friend.
It has a 5.7 chevy.(1987 560 sl) My friend bought it and when his wife saw it, she
threatened legal action. I have heard that it costs $8000
or so to rebuild the original v-8. This one shure drives nice, just a little
too large for me.
Bob
rick 918-S
I have a 1970 380SL here. I flew to OH and drove it from OH to MN before tearing it down for resto, or should I say rusto.. These things have very poor corrosion protection. Forget about the damage caused but a poorly placed battery like the 914. These things rust out from the inside out. There like any early german car. They rust anyplace there is a bend or fold in the metal. Like the 914 there are parts available but bring your gold card. The grille in almost $ 3000.00.

About the ride and handling and performance? What ride and handling and performance? I couldn't wait to get out of that car. BTW: If you found a nice car for under $ 20,000.00 that's a deal. I don't know why it's a deal but I'm told the goup that loves them like we love the 914 pay up for the nice ones.
jasons
We've just been looking at a 450SL as a fun car for my wife. I found this article on the net doing some research....

Motor Trend Article

Apparently the 380's are the worst of the bunch. Single row timing chain and when it goes, it goes bad. The 560's are the most desirable just because of the numbers. The 450s are great workhorses that go 300k miles with little problems. The screamin deal is the 450SLC if you don't want a convertible. But whats the point then.....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.