Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Trim Retainer Clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I have a delimma. I just talked to the glass guy about removing my windshield so I can get the car painted. I thought it would also be a good time to replace all of the trim clips because I have 1 that doesn't hold very well.

He tells me that I would be better off pulling it myself using the old wire saw trick.

As I am not really looking forward to it, is there any way to replace the clips with the windshield installed?
McMark
Unfortunately, replacing the clips with the window installed is doubtful. sad.gif But each window install is different. It's all about how close the glass is to the clips.
toon1
took mine to glass shop for a front window seal replacement. Imade it prfectly clear, DO NOT CUT OFF THE WINDOW TRIM CLIPS. they cut iff three if them, reinstalled the window and now I have to pull it to install the clips.

do it yourself, it's easy, I wish I had. Also, there are some rubber stoppers that go on the bottom of the windshield to keep it from moving down
914Sixer
You need to have the windshield out to replace the clips. The pin pushes into the body. You might check to see if the clips are still available. I thought I remebered another post awhile back saying they were NLA from Porsche.
dflesburg
They are still available.
william harris
Having done this, I don't see any way to replace the clips with the windshield still in place. I recommend using modern adhesives with a professional installer to reinstall the glass. They must heat the glass to use the modern adhesives, but the bond is a real structural bond not possible with the butyl tape.
gregrobbins
Do a search, there was a windshield post some time back and Dave Darling had some good information on what to use to reinstall the windshield.
swood
so....the clips aren't really needed with a modern adhesive bond?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(swood @ Jan 3 2007, 07:37 PM) *

so....the clips aren't really needed with a modern adhesive bond?

The clips hold the trim in place. The adhesive holds the glass in place. With the glass in place, the clips are difficult if not impossible to replace. Glueing the trim in place? Not so sure about this. I would not.
SLITS
Clips, as said, are not replaceable with windshield in.

I cut all of mine off and used the rubber trim (without chrome stripe) with butyl tape. Time consuming to get it on the windshield, but it looks good.

Screw the brightwork.

Used 3/8" butyl tape to install windshield .... pretty easy with two people.

william harris
That's right, the clips only hold the chrome surround trim in place. The point is was making was to seriously upgrade the windshield bond by using the modern adhesives versus the old butyl tape which is not a strong bond. I agree that once the windshield is bonded in place it would be difficult to place the clips back in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.