Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: re-upholstery seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
evan
confused24.gif need to have a hole in my seats fixed and since they are pretty worn out I figure i would have them recovered. have been checking around through the club and online for varous pricing etc. question is did the 1973 models or any year 914 have leather as an option. trying to keep my car pretty much stock and do not want to "bastardize" the car if leather was not an option. also custom seats with red inserts.
r_towle
look for World Upholstrey (sp) online.
They send samples and have all the colors you want.

As far as I know, unless special ordered, there were no leather interiors aside from the 916.

Ask the Doctor.
Rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(evan @ Jan 4 2007, 01:08 PM) *

confused24.gif need to have a hole in my seats fixed and since they are pretty worn out I figure i would have them recovered. have been checking around through the club and online for varous pricing etc. question is did the 1973 models or any year 914 have leather as an option. trying to keep my car pretty much stock and do not want to "bastardize" the car if leather was not an option. also custom seats with red inserts.

No never leather even the 916 here has porsche cloth inserts with leather bolsters. Smooth vinyl bolster and back and either stacked brick insert or cordoroy insert available in tan chocolate or black .
evan
Hi Rich,
I contacted them and they have been great! Sent samples too. But the guy recommended that i take the material to an upholster nearby me to have the seats done unless i know what i am doing. My other question though was how "un-original" does it make the car if I do leather? And or change the color to red inserts to match the paint. I guess it is more personal taste but i do want to keep the car somewhat stock / original.
thanks again.

evan

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 4 2007, 01:13 PM) *

look for World Upholstrey (sp) online.
They send samples and have all the colors you want.

As far as I know, unless special ordered, there were no leather interiors aside from the 916.

Ask the Doctor.
Rich

Heeltoe914
Looking at the pictures off your car you already have a few lite mods going. I say do what makes you happy and keeps you enjoying the car the most. Something like seats will not be a big deal to anyone down the line. IMHO
nomore9one4
I am considering to start doing 914 seats. I am going to do a set for my brother in the months ahead. If I can get the pattern down correct and if am pleased with the results I will make a post in the resources section. I am already doing door panels and center consoles for locals. I am not interested in stepping on the toes of the individuals that are doing them "here" I will update if need be. please let me know how "world upholstery" covers work out. Thanks. Bob
Mueller
A second nod for World Up.

I think the black they offer is close to original, but the other colors are not...at least my tan seat coverings from them have a different pattern....not a big deal to me.

go with whatever you like, seats are easy to change out if you decide to sell the car down in the future and the new buyer is picky/anal about your choice of material....you can pickup another set of seats that need fixing for free to a hundred bucks or so....

evan
thanks for all the suggestions will keep posted with pics when it happens
tracks914
Last winter I did my spare drivers seat in black neoprene. There is a thread on it here somewhere. Now that I am restoring another car I am going to use the neoprene seat in it and also do another for the passenger side. I just love it. It's comfortable, waterproof, not at all slippery and not as hot as vinyl to sit on.
If you can find an old seat somewhere redo it in anything you like. It takes 30 seconds to change the seat and you can keep your old one original and put something comfortable in for fun.
boxstr
Evan I have some red if you want it. Ready to slide in.
CCLINREDONTHEHEAD
brp914
I went through this a year ago. Learn from my mistakes:

- there is crappy vinyl and good vinyl. If you buy a kit from a certain so cal online p-car store - it will be the crap variety, as indicated by minimal backing and will be single stitched.

- dont buy a kit. you can't install it, and will pay more than having a good shop fab it from scratch.

- replace the seat cushions since they're likely collapsed.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
There is a guy from Minnesota,( i think) that did his 914 in a leather used for boats. Cleans up good and no worry about rain or UV rays. His interior is blue,he took best interior at the Mid West Classic a couple yrs. ago. I hope he sees this and posts a picture or two. Dave slap.gif
Instru-Mental
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jan 4 2007, 10:07 PM) *

Last winter I did my spare drivers seat in black neoprene. There is a thread on it here somewhere. Now that I am restoring another car I am going to use the neoprene seat in it and also do another for the passenger side. I just love it. It's comfortable, waterproof, not at all slippery and not as hot as vinyl to sit on.
If you can find an old seat somewhere redo it in anything you like. It takes 30 seconds to change the seat and you can keep your old one original and put something comfortable in for fun.

Doug, do you have pics? I wouldn't mind seeing whit this looks like.

Thanks

Todd
iamchappy
I just had my interior done in leather. I think it gives the 914 a nice luxurious touch.

Here is the contact for my upholsterer she is very reasonable and quality excellent.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=64655
evan
shocked[1].gif Just came from a local car, boat, etc reupholstery shop. They quoted $1,600 for both seats vinyl parts & labor or $800 if I provide the materials. Granted done by hand with no 914 experience but my gosh!
Think I will use tracey and lori in florida. from the recommendations from world members.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(evan @ Jan 6 2007, 11:53 AM) *

shocked[1].gif Just came from a local car, boat, etc reupholstery shop. They quoted $1,600 for both seats vinyl parts & labor or $800 if I provide the materials. Granted done by hand with no 914 experience but my gosh!
Think I will use tracey and lori in florida. from the recommendations from world members.

Just to give you an idea, our upholstry man Twan does a perfect job for 300 labor for both seats. It is hard to find someone to do a perfect job. We have seen hundreds of upholstry guys who call themselves that but are not! Autos International is also a great place.
tracks914
Ya here are some pix but they don't do it justice.
tracks914
Remember it was my first attempt.
tracks914
And I added 2 " of side bolster to the seat which changed all the deminsions.
tracks914
But I will do it again. I'm thinking of doing the visors and door in a similar material.
iamchappy
I think Lori will do a fine job for you as she has done for me.
tracks914
Here is the seat modification before covering.
It fits me OK (170lbs) but not for anyone heavy or wider than me.
firstknight13
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.