Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SLITS' "Gucci" Caliper Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Eric_Shea
I've decided to do a little write up on the Ferrari conversion for a 914-6/GT rear brake. I've done over a dozen of these now and they seem to be more and more popular (my car has a set).

The Ferrari 308 uses the (almost) exact same caliper as a majority of the 914-6/GT's. This is basically a 914-6 caliper with a 10mm spacer kit (spacers, longer fasteners and longer pins) added to allow the use of a vented rear rotor on a 914-6 race car. The 308's came from the factory with the spacers and vented rotors.

The only problem is... Enzo decided to mount them upside down on his cars (compared to the average 914-6/GT). The bleeder is in the wrong position. There is a solution for this (that's what this thread's "actually" about). Follow along.

Now... how Ron acquired a set of these (read... probably hot/stolen/drugs involved etc.) we don't know. Here's what we've done to date with Ronnie's little "Gucci" calipers:

Gumby says let's get started on our little tour. It will be informative for those who just need to know the subtle nuances of Ferrari and 914-6/GT calipers. yawn.gif

Click to view attachment

Gumby says; "This is all wrong. Those damn Italiano’s put the bleeder in the wrong spot ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment

Gumby says WTF.gif is this? A 16mm banjo fitting? (Seriously he did say that... I was there. Gumby's kinda got a potty mouth.)

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Other issues ensue. These calipers have been "touched" before. The basic pad hardware is kinda wrong. The springs are correct but the pins aren't.

This spring has been repaired and won't make it through the plating process in one piece (we can rebuild it... we have the technology... ahhh Porsche/ATE still has the kit available at a fairly reasonable price too). The rivet will dissolve.

Click to view attachment

Here's a shot of the proper hardware kit. This is not for a 914-6/GT but for the lowly 911. The right stuff is on the left and the lef... errr incorrect stuff is on the right.

Click to view attachment

Notice something? This is where one of those extremely interesting facts comes into play. Later Ferrari calipers differ from 914-6/GT calipers with these pins. I guess they finally decided it was really, really stupid to have different size pins (left and right like your 914 has) in the calipers. This is a relief as it costs a tad to have custom pins made up for 914-6 calipers that will be converted to GT specs (pins need to be 10mm longer in the middle).

Here's a shot of "Pinheads" Ferrari pin holes:

Click to view attachment

Here's a 914 caliper for comparison.

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
The nice thing about these calipers is, they match in spec, the early (we're talking pre 85 this time) 911 rear caliper.

So what?

Well... this is where a variety of calipers can be matched up front. What did Porsche use with these?

M-Calipers (Standard 911 and 914-6)
S-Calipers (First 930, 911S, some 914-6/GT and various 914-6 demonstrator/prototype cars)
A-Calipers (911SC)

We've also stated over and over that the S-Caliper or the A-Caliper will be all that's needed for a flared 914.

Here's a picture of the pad that came out of the "Gucci" errr Ferrari calipers. It's sitting in a 911 Rear M-Caliper 1/2. This is the rear caliper 911 came with through 1984.

Click to view attachment

Here's another fun fact. The following picture is the same 911 Rear M-Caliper but this time we're comparing caliper "nose" sections. See anything molded into the 911 caliper 1/2? A 914-6, 914-6/GT and Ferrari 308 caliper is made of the same component. The nose is machined to accept the piston adjuster.

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Well, the rear adjuster covers didn't get much better over the years. biggrin.gif

A quick whack with the chisel in the 8:00 or 9:00 position at about a 45 deg angle usually does it.

Whack:

Click to view attachment

Spun:

Click to view attachment

This happens about 95% of the time so be prepared if you decide you should adjust your pad clearance (and you know you should) and you run into this one. My advise is this: Put some pressure on the 4mm adjuster but not enough to strip it. If you feel it going that way STOP. Take the caliper off and hit it with the chisel. It will free up and you can then reuse the plug and get on with the job. Use some anit-sieze on it when you put it back.

*** My real advice is use the 10mm replacement plug that we supply with all our rebuilds.

Here's something I found on a different Ferrari caliper (on the left for comparison). It's the same plug but with a 5mm cap. That's "nice" and seems to solve the problem. I think I'm going to try and source this one. idea.gif

Click to view attachment
Rusty
Where did Gumby go? ohmy.gif
Aaron Cox
nice and informative....

thanks eric
Eric_Shea
The pistons came out without a hitch (basically). Again, someone's been in here before. Here's a shot of one of the outer adjusters. It has an interesting 13mm nut for a lock nut. There's supposed to be a slim nut (shown for referrence) here so you can attach the clip.

Click to view attachment

Here's another comparison with the nut off and the clip in the picture:

Click to view attachment

The other one was fine (with the exception of the missing clip) and the pistons all slipped out without any fuss. There was fresh blue fluid in these so they look like they were recently in use.

Couple of things; Ferarri pistons differ from 914-6 pistons through evolution. With the later 914 calipers (73-76) the adjustment mechanism inside the pistons changed. The early 914-6 used the early style mechanism. The later Ferrari calipers use the later style.

Click to view attachment

Every Ferrari inner adjuster I've seen has these unique white o-ring seals.

Click to view attachment

The insides are fairly clean. This is a great core set.

Click to view attachment

The next step is to take everything to the machine shop tomorrow for the Bleeder conversion. Once that's done everything will get re-plated and put pack together.

Stay tuned.
TROJANMAN
Ron's still at my house. Please come and get him. He won't leave. At least Toast is with him. She is nice.
Those calipers are worth more than the brown turd in front of my house. Ron is threatening to start another forum.....914assholes.com
It must be the mezcal talking drunk.gif I think he ate the worm.
JPB
Sweet info and drooley.gif

So are the Guccis and the Porschies the same in price or are we talking big danros for the F-name?
Joe Bob
Gud yob, salmon boy....

Hey, answer my PM about the check and the Turbo calipers, ya putz....
Eric_Shea
Never got a PM... I did get a check. smilie_pokal.gif

What about the turbo calipers?
Eric_Shea
Ron's still at my house. Please come and get him. He won't leave.

Hey... you invited him slap.gif

lol3.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 7 2007, 06:36 PM) *

Never got a PM... I did get a check. smilie_pokal.gif

What about the turbo calipers?

Got any pretty red ones for my 79 Turbo on an exchange basis? They work fine...just not red.... blink.gif
Eric_Shea
What are we gonna do with you? confused24.gif

Nada... I have a set of 944 Turbo calipers here but they're black. wink.gif

We could have them gold plated for you... wink.gif
Joe Bob
Nah...I'll just get my crayons out....
sean_v8_914
the white o-ring is probably teflon. it is commonly used in high pressure hydrolic bore seal applications
http://www.parker.com/ead/cm1.asp?cmid=247
tat2dphreak
great post as always Eric! very cool!
johnlush
agree.gif great post!

What are you and Gumby currently getting for doing this? I've had a pair of these sitting around for quite awhile and just haven't gotten them to you.
fiid
This is a really nice write-up of a fascinating topic; nice job man. Thanks!
Eric_Shea
What are you and Gumby currently getting for doing this? I've had a pair of these sitting around for quite awhile and just haven't gotten them to you.

Gumby works for New Years Eve Party leftovers that he finds in the ashtray in the garage... (now who the hell was in my garage that night?) idea.gif

I "don't" biggrin.gif

$150.00 for the bleeder conversion and $275.00 for the caliper restoration... more if your initials are Ron Meier! w00t.gif

(thanks Fiid) wink.gif
SLITS
Damn, I thought I was in trouble, but seeing as how the price of trailing arms has increased to $300 each I think I am well covered.
Eric_Shea
dry.gif
ejm
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 7 2007, 02:28 PM) *

Here's something I found on a different Ferrari caliper (on the left for comparison). It's the same plug but with a 5mm cap. That's "nice" and seems to solve the problem. I think I'm going to try and source this one. idea.gif

This is the plug... I've used them many times

Eric_Shea
pray.gif

Ed to the rescue smilie_pokal.gif

Washer too! Danke!

(now... to find it without spending an arm and a leg)
Eric_Shea
Well... I haven't had time to source the plug Ed but thanks for the info.

"They're Back..." the calipers that is. Ready to head down to the plater tomorrow.

Here's a shot of the new bleeder location:

Click to view attachment

More of the now twin bleeder soon to be 914-6/GT caliper wink.gif

Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
clap56.gif clap56.gif
MoveQik
Is that one of the funny cigarettes that you couldn't keep lit in Moab???

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 7 2007, 12:43 PM) *

(Gumby was drinking too much amongst other things. ( smoke.gif ) he's laying down right now. You think I'm kidding don't ya?)

Click to view attachment

SLITS
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 15 2007, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 7 2007, 12:43 PM) *

(Gumby was drinking too much amongst other things. ( smoke.gif ) he's laying down right now. You think I'm kidding don't ya?)

Click to view attachment

Suck,
ahhhh Just a little bit harder
Please please please please please
Tell me that you're gonna

Now your daddy don't mind,
And your mommy don't mind,
If we have another hit, dear,
Just one more time.

Oh, won't you suck,
Just a little bit harder,
Please let me lite it,
Please say that you will
Say you will

Suck,
Woh-oh-oh Just a little bit harder
Please please please please please
Tell me that you're gonna
Suck, come on come on come on, suck
Suck, come on come on come on, suck
davep
I have also used that cap many times. We had them in the parts bins at the VW dealership. They are identical except for the larger hex key.
BAM
Thanks for the post Eric, great info…

Jimmy
service@bamotortrends.com
Eric_Shea

No those were "Biddies" out of India... biggrin.gif
Twystd1
Dear Mr. Shea,

It has come to our attention via "Gucci" "Legal Counsel" that you are using our trademarked name "Gucci" in several of your "Sales" descriptions on the internet.

AS you may know Mr. Shea, "Gucci Corporation" does not allow any other legal or non-legal entity to use it's name, logos, trademarks or designs without specific written permission from our " Corporate Legal Department".

And as this is your second written warning of said trademark infringement of our corporate name.

We, at this time, with great prejudice and hold of harm to One Mr. Eric Shea, using the Pseudonym Of one "Slits" "Brown Turd" 914.
Are hereby requested to cease and desist further illicit use of our trademarked name "Gucci".

We furthermore stipulate and repudiate the following.

We repudiate your request to use our Trademarked name "Gucci" and herein stipulate that you may not use any of our names, logos or any other Gucci" trademarked materials for any reason whatsoever as long as this stipulation is in force.

This is your final notification of said stipulation.
For you to Mitigate this stipulation and relieve yourself of further legal proceedings. You will at once terminate the use of these aforementioned trademarked materials.

We now apprise you that Mr. Aaron Liddle Cox, Esq. will be watching YOU and reporting to our "Legal Council" as time permits.

Sincerely,

Mr. Melvin Belli Sr. Esq.
Law offices of Cochran, Belli and Simpson
A Florida Corporation.

With offices in: USA, Tokyo, Paris, Beirut,
Cancun and Abu Ghraib

SLITS
Mr. Melvin Belli Sr. Esq.
Law offices of Cochran, Belli and Simpson
A Florida Corporation.

With offices in: USA, Tokyo, Paris, Beirut,
Cancun and Abu Ghraib

Dear Mr. Belli Sr. Esq.

I fart in your direction!

Sincerely and stinkly,

Slits
Eric_Shea
These aren't "Gucci" calipers now... but when I'm done having them "Gold Plated" they will be. Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Gucchilli Oochilli! w00t.gif
Twystd1
OUCH....

I feel so repudiated.........

C
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jan 17 2007, 11:44 PM) *

OUCH....

I feel so repudiated.........

C

i love repudiation... its kinda like masturbation for big words.
Eric_Shea
Well, back at it. Here's the plated goodies...

Click to view attachment

I'm not happy with one of the handbrake seals. These basically keep the handbrake shaft clean and moving free however, sometimes water and dirt gets in there and they can get a bit torn up and rusty.

Click to view attachment

Here's another shot of the gunk dribbling down the handle... this one is stuck.

Click to view attachment

The solution will be to cut the Welch plug and pull it out. Then remove the clip and slide the shaft out. We'll install a new shaft and seal and plug and they will be good as new. These are the seal kits... basically have to send to the UK to get them.

Click to view attachment

Almost forgot the box-o-goodies biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Here we are cutting the Welch plug.

Click to view attachment

Pulling the plug...

Click to view attachment

...and wow, what's all this stuff? I'm "really" glad we pulled this one off. I've never seen it this bad. The entire cavity was filled with rust bits. Something got on this caliper to make it go like this.

Click to view attachment

There was a clip in there...
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
The seal and handle end was really bad...

Click to view attachment

Here's a new seal next to the old one for reference:

Click to view attachment

Don't tell Ron but... we're putting some 4-banger parts in his "designer" calipers. Here's the old handle along side the new handle:

Click to view attachment

New seal on...

Click to view attachment

Everything cleaned out and the clip back on:

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
More Bling for our Boy!

Click to view attachment

The other side was much better... normal at least

Click to view attachment

Polished and painted pistons get pulled back in.

Click to view attachment

Eric_Shea
They are done and almost as sexy as their new owner... biggrin.gif

Enjoy Ron. These are on the house.

For those of you who don't know Ron, you don't know what you're missing. He's one of the best human beings I've had the pleasure of meeting. I would guarantee you that at least a dozen teeners will weigh in here with some story about how Ron had helped them find some elusive part or got them back on the road when they were in a jam... ALWAYS refusing to be paid.

Well... back at ya! wink.gif
Qarl
Flippin sweet!
Aaron Cox
i concur....

ron is uber good people. but that slits guy is an asshole tongue.gif
So.Cal.914
Throws a good swapmeet. smile.gif
So.Cal.914
Eric, any peticular year 308?
Eric_Shea
Eric, any peticular year 308?

Not that I know of... wink.gif
davep
So why bother adding a new bleed nipple if you can just swap the arms, or is this not possible?
Eric_Shea
So why bother adding a new bleed nipple if you can just swap the arms, or is this not possible?

The caliper is machined for the arm (you know that!!!) biggrin.gif

I suppose you could machine the other side but the costs of doing that and adding an additional stop would probably be more and... they would look goofy. This way they end up looking the same and having the standard dual bleeder setup the later 914 calipers have.
Eric_Shea
Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about.

One other thing, the fluid inlet would have to be plugged and then drilled on the other side.

Here's the shot of the machined slot the arm rests in. It looks to be a fairly easy process but having this done on a raw core is one thing. At the factory they simply machined this groove and tapped the proper fluid inlet. For us to do that would be re-engineering the entire thing. Come to think of it... the welch plug would have anythign to grab hold of here so that would be practically impossible.
Click to view attachment

Here's the other side. Note the fluid inlet.
Click to view attachment
John
Just make sure you use more than one piece of tape to close those boxes up.

It would be a shame for them to fall out and get lost/stolen during shipment. poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.