Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car dies when it warms up... why?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott-thundercat
So i replaced the fuel tank on my car the other day (due to rust clogging it)... anyhow started driving today, got like 3 miles away and it acted like it was running out of fuel... finally died. anyhow pulled the coil wire just to make sure it was sending spark, reallly really weak, so replaced it- much better. car wouldnt really start even floored... unhooked the valve that gives the engine more oxygen (plugged it) cause it was letting air through, and it started when plugged... ran for a while. put the air cleaner back on, no dice... unhooked it and it ran long enough to get me to a gas station.

what would cause it to run great when cool and like crap when it warmed up? it's acting like it's out of fuel... could it be the computer? i cleaned the little ground wires, no change... i'm so burned out on this it's just killing me!!! please someone help me out! 1970 1.7 liter 914
iamchappy
Check the temperature sensor installed in the manifold. These will stop the fuel pump when the engine gets hot when they go bad.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Because of what you last did, I would suggest that you have pinched a fuel line under the tank. Only shows up after the engine warms up
Scott-thundercat
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 9 2007, 05:57 AM) *

Check the temperature sensor installed in the manifold. These will stop the fuel pump when the engine gets hot when they go bad.

in the exhaust manifold? or is it the one on the rear of the intake manifold plenum- i've seen a sensor, didnt know what it was for.... I've checked the hoses and havent seen any pinches... plus there's fuel in the fuel filter...
iamchappy
It's actually on the top of the engine mounted in the head on the right hand side.
2-OH!
Geroge is correct...Pinched or kinked fuel lines under the tank...Take off the gravel pan under the front steering rack...Reach in through the access hole and pull the lines (GENTLY) to straigthen them out...Try to smooth out any sharp bends...

2-OH!
TheCabinetmaker
You changed the tank due to rust. Did you change the filter too?
Scott-thundercat
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 9 2007, 03:30 PM) *

You changed the tank due to rust. Did you change the filter too?

yeah put a brand new filter in, filter looks good.
slothness
I had this same problem with my car, but it turned out to be excessive blow-by. dry.gif

When the oil warmed it thinned out and kept getting past the piston and fouled the plugs. headbang.gif

Plugs were coated in oil, hope yours are ok.
Scott-thundercat
that could be it, cause i know it can be pretty smoky... i'll have to pull em and check. i checked the fuel lines from underneath and they were okay, but i pulled em around anyways to make sure... no worky. talked to someone with a 911 that said theres did the same thing and they replaced the plug wires and it worked. tried it, and it's better, but i think it's only running on 3 cylinders now... probably because of the blow by...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.