Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder Coating in the Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STP
Does anyone know of a good place I could go to have my engine tin powder coated in the SF bay area?

I called a couple places in the east bay, where I live, and nobody would powder coat them for me.

Thanks, Sean
Jeffs9146
Livermore Powder Coater - Maas Brothers Powder Coating

This is where I went!

Jeff
neo914-6
B R & F Spray (408) 988-7582
http://www.brf-spray.com/
3380 De La Cruz Blvd
Santa Clara, CA 95054
STP
Awesome thanks!

Livermore would be convenient, Santa Clara is kinda out of the way for me.

How much did they charge? What did you have done? Do you know what kind fo powder they used?

I'm thinking about doing the engine tin, the fan shroud, and maybe the valve covers.

-Sean
Mueller
I'm wondering why the local to you shops declined to powdercoat your parts??

what do you mean what "kind" of powder? ...do what to know what brand they use??

most shops will carry more than one brand to better cover the needs of the customer....

thanks Jeff, I didn't realize they are right off of Vasco...I might swing on by there to get a quote on some stuff...
STP
I just called a few shops around the Hayward area and they all said that they didn't have the right kind of powder to coat them with and that they had never coated anything like engine tin before and that they didn't want to try to. I don't remember if it was a different kind of powder or just a different brand, but that was the main reason they couldn't do it. I just figured it would be something I should know.

Jeff - If you can recall: What did you have them powder coat? How much did it cost?

-Sean
scotty b
QUOTE(STP @ Jan 10 2007, 05:37 PM) *

I just called a few shops around the Hayward area and they all said that they didn't have the right kind of powder to coat them with and that they had never coated anything like engine tin before and that they didn't want to try to. I don't remember if it was a different kind of powder or just a different brand, but that was the main reason they couldn't do it. I just figured it would be something I should know.

Jeff - If you can recall: What did you have them powder coat? How much did it cost?

-Sean

Sean never powder coating engine tin and didn't want to try to would cause me to refer people AWAY from those guys ! That's rediculous. As for the powder Yes there are different types of powder, some are for indoor use and some are for indoor/outdoor use. Obviously indoor is less durable and IMHO I don't understand why any shops would NOT use indoor/outdoor. Buy what we do is mostly outdoor anyway so maybe there is actually a need for indoor only? ANYWAY as for cost $150.00 -$200.00 MAX. unless your tim is in need of repairs. I would also recommend ( might not be neccesary) hightemping the cooling fin tins, but the majority of the tin is fine with standard powder.
scotty b
some basics on powder types for your enjoyment biggrin.gif

http://www2.sherwin.com/chemicalCoatings/metalAdvAbout.asp
bmendel
AJ at West Coast Powdercoating in South San Francisco did the coating of my 912 tin, super quality, does a lot of Porsche work, has a couple of his own. Not super fast or super cheap, but definitely good work

recently coated engine tin
neo914-6
my experience is:

They can price per lot. I'd bring in a box and they had a $90 minimum. I "need" to bring in a lot more parts to determine when I went over the minimum since it seemed like there was room for more. Maybe particular or large parts will cost more, mine were just basic parts.

They will probably address them but make sure you spec which holes are to be masked.

Parts will be subject to high heat so make sure all plastic or rubber parts are removed.

Be aware the coat will add thickness which may affect mating surfaces.

STP
Great thanks for all the help.

Scotty B - I know, totally, after I called two shops that said they wouldn't do it and one that never returned my call I decided to make a post and ask. They wouldn't even look at what I had, I don't know how places like that stay in business.

Thanks again,

-Sean
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.