Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch pedal hard to push
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I'm noticing my clutch pedal seems generally hard to push. It's pretty hard to push down until the point where the clutch begins to release. Then it eases up. Right now it's releasing pretty low. I plan to adjust it to release higher.

Normal or is something up ?
rjames
Start with the easy stuff. Check your cable, clutch tube and pedal cluster.

Mine was this way until I replaced the cable- it was fraying where it goes around the plastic wheel under the rear trunk and would bind.

If it isn't one of these, someone else will have to chime in as I haven't had to learn anything alese about transmissions yet (thankfully).
ClayPerrine
That can also be the symptoms of a worn out flywheel.

The 914 flywheel is a 2 step flywheel. It has a shoulder where the pressure plate mounts, and another where the disk rides. If the flywheel is ground down without cutting the shoulder the same amount, then the pressure plate geometry is screwed up. If it is cut far enough it can result in a very hard to push clutch pedal. After it gets past a certain point, it becomes lighter. That's when the plate gets back to the point where it should have started.

The only way to verify this is to measure the flywheel. The specs are in the Haynes manual, both the 914 and 911 versions.

Hammy
Robert, thanks. I'll go over the easy stuff first. Though my clutch cable is pretty new. It also appears my clutch tube has been repaired in the past, doesn't seem like it's loose or broken free. I'll check it though.

Clay, that makes sense. I can describe it as feeling like the clutch is either engaged or disengaged, and in between these is very small it seems. If it does turn out to be flywheel being too thin, how do I fix? Resurface?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jan 9 2007, 10:00 PM) *

Robert, thanks. I'll go over the easy stuff first. Though my clutch cable is pretty new. It also appears my clutch tube has been repaired in the past, doesn't seem like it's loose or broken free. I'll check it though.

Clay, that makes sense. I can describe it as feeling like the clutch is either engaged or disengaged, and in between these is very small it seems. If it does turn out to be flywheel being too thin, how do I fix? Resurface?

Only proper fix is a new flywheel. You can, however cut the shoulder that the pressure plate bolts to down so that the dimension is correct per the factory spec.

But you will have to put spacers under the ball pivot for the throwout arm, otherwise it will hit the case before the clutch disengages.

BTDT...... headbang.gif
Hammy
Yeah..... my pivot ball already has 2 washers under it I believe.

Damn, new FW's are pricely.
I have another spare flywheel laying around. How do I measure it?

I just want a smooth operating clutch sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.