Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie here needs help with my 76 2.0!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vespam5
Hi there,
I finally bought myself a 914 after wanting one since high school.
My dad has had a 1970 914-6 since 1972 and i've always wanted one.

Any way I bought a 76 2.0 for about $1400 on new years day, and I love this little car!

It has a small amount of rust, but I plan to treat it soon, Overall it is a solid car.

But I need help!

When I bought it i noticed that the car idled excesively high. I started tinkering around with the engine bay when i got home and noticed that what i believe to be the fuel pressure regulator? (fist sized component with a four wire connector and a vacuum hose-near battery) Adjusting the small screw in it was the only way i could get the car to idle normally (800 or so rpm).

Unfortunately is made the car hard to start once it warms up. I also played with the adjustment screw on the throttle body. But i haven't been able to get the car to idle correctly and run correcly at normal speeds, I suspect an air leak any sugestions would be appreciated!

drive-ability
QUOTE(vespam5 @ Jan 9 2007, 08:24 PM) *

Hi there,

Any way I bought a 76 2.0 for about $1400 on new years day, and I love this little car!

It has a small amount of rust, but I plan to treat it soon, Overall it is a solid car.

But I need help!

When I bought it i noticed that the car idled excesively high. I started tinkering around with the engine bay when i got home and noticed that what i believe to be the fuel pressure regulator? (fist sized component with a four wire connector and a vacuum hose-near battery) Adjusting the small screw in it was the only way i could get the car to idle normally (800 or so rpm).

Unfortunately is made the car hard to start once it warms up. I also played with the adjustment screw on the throttle body. But i haven't been able to get the car to idle correctly and run correcly at normal speeds, I suspect an air leak any sugestions would be appreciated!

I have a V8 in mine but that doesn't sound like a fuel pressure regulator. Hang on and get a service manual. The thought of a vacuum leak sounds like it could be your problem but there are other systems to consider. You came to the right place someone who wears 914 underwear will know what to do. driving.gif
vespam5
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jan 9 2007, 08:32 PM) *

Hi there,

But I need help!

I have a V8 in mine but that doesn't sound like a fuel pressure regulator. Hang on and get a service manual. The thought of a vacuum leak sounds like it could be your problem but there are other systems to consider. You came to the right place someone who wears 914 underwear will know what to do. driving.gif

Thanks it took me awhile to find this forum site! But i'm overloaded looking through them! I have a haynes manual, but is it just me or does over generalize?
Dave_Darling
... what i believe to be the fuel pressure regulator? (fist sized component with a four wire connector and a vacuum hose-near battery) Adjusting the small screw in it was the only way i could get the car to idle normally (800 or so rpm).

Four wires and one vacuum hose; that means it's the Manifold Pressure Sensor. It is pretty much the most important part of the stock D-jetronic fuel injection system. The fact that you could turn any screw means someone had been messing with it, which is Very Bad News--they are exceedingly sensitive to their adjustments, and very hard to put back to "right" again!

You can learn all about your MPS (and the other D-jet components) by reading through the following website: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders .

High idle is almost always caused by vacuum leaks.

The Haynes manual may not be that good, but frankly it's just about the best manual out there for 914s.

--DD
vespam5
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 9 2007, 09:01 PM) *

... what i believe to be the fuel pressure regulator? (fist sized component with a four wire connector and a vacuum hose-near battery) Adjusting the small screw in it was the only way i could get the car to idle normally (800 or so rpm).

Four wires and one vacuum hose; that means it's the Manifold Pressure Sensor. It is pretty much the most important part of the stock D-jetronic fuel injection system. The fact that you could turn any screw means someone had been messing with it, which is Very Bad News--they are exceedingly sensitive to their adjustments, and very hard to put back to "right" again!

You can learn all about your MPS (and the other D-jet components) by reading through the following website: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders .

High idle is almost always caused by vacuum leaks.

The Haynes manual may not be that good, but frankly it's just about the best manual out there for 914s.

--DD

Thanks,
I got the MPS more or less to the point were the car runs well since i marked my starting position of the inner screw.
But the car still has a incosistant idle, it tends to idle well at colder temps and idel high at warmer temps.
Any fixes to idle problems would be appreciated!
Heeltoe914
I live up the 210 fry from you I would be glad to help you out anyway I can. I work in my shop all day on fridays and part of Sat and Sundays. If you would like drive it up and I can give you a good idea of where to go from here, and maybe even get some bugs out of it. You buy lunch. But be careful what you play with, sometime it can be really hard to get things back to spec. Try and write down the things you changed and or adj, so we can ref, back to a start point.
vespam5
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jan 9 2007, 09:58 PM) *

I live up the 210 fry from you I would be glad to help you out anyway I can. I work in my shop all day on fridays and part of Sat and Sundays. If you would like drive it up and I can give you a good idea of where to go from here, and maybe even get some bugs out of it. You buy lunch. But be careful what you play with, sometime it can be really hard to get things back to spec. Try and write down the things you changed and or adj, so we can ref, back to a start point.

I'd really appreciate that and I'd take you up on that and gladly buy lunch!
I've been careful about keeping adjustments referenced, I've replaced most of the dry and cracked vacuum hoses to try and rule those out.
vespam5
Sure enough! I unplugged the Aux Air Regulator and my idle stabilized!

I just did it this morning before driving the car to work, but I think the problem is the AAR all along!
ClayPerrine
Glad to hear you got the problem licked...

And welcome.png
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and now see if you have car running power to the valve and if so spray it with wd 40 to free the valve inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.