Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side shift parts cost
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
Curious what parts are needed and what is a fair price for them to convert a tail shift transmission over to side shift. Someone local is switching a side shift over to tail for a 5-speed in a beetle application and is looking to sell the side shift guts. Ultimately I'd like to know what all is needed to convert a tail shift car to a side shift car (probably can find out through search), but right now I'd just like to know what is needed from the tranny and a fair price for it.

Please let me know when you have a minute.

Thanks,

Chris
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jan 10 2007, 05:52 AM) *

Curious what parts are needed and what is a fair price for them to convert a tail shift transmission over to side shift. Someone local is switching a side shift over to tail for a 5-speed in a beetle application and is looking to sell the side shift guts. Ultimately I'd like to know what all is needed to convert a tail shift car to a side shift car (probably can find out through search), but right now I'd just like to know what is needed from the tranny and a fair price for it.

Please let me know when you have a minute.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris the problem with the conversion being reasonable in cost is that everyone wants to do it, the parts are therefore scarce, and the new parts that are available are outrageously priced.
The three shift forks the oval shift plate assembly the rear tail cover and a gasket kit is what is needed from the transaxle and a great price would be 200.00. the other parts needed are (from these transmission parts forward) the ball cup bushing the rear shift head the rear shift set screw the rear shift cover band and boot and tie the rear crown bushing the rear shift rod assembly including the aluminum coupler the engine mounting bar the two engine mounting tabs on the engine the two ourboard solid mounts all of the associated engine mounting hardware the front shift boot at the firewall (hard to fit to the early firewall) the firewall shift conversion bushing the firewall shift bar the coupling set screw and finally the complete front shifter with its coupling and hardware. It is a bolt together process once the transmission is converted.
type11969
Wow, really that expensive? I had no idea. Thanks for the help!

-Chris
TravisNeff
You will need the following from a side shift car:

Shifter
Shift bar (in the tunnel and in the engine compartment)
conversion bushing at firewall (around $10 new)
engine cross bar
Engine cross bar mounts
motor mounts (available new)
solid mounts for the body (where your old motor mounts went)
transmission
Dr Evil
I dissagree with George on his pricing and availability estamates. These trannies are dropping like flies and you can by a core side shift for $125 usually. This gives you all of the internals and direct tranny parts that you need. You can get them for less from memebers here, I tend to charge $100 for the parts because I have to source them and so forth.
Travis has the correct list of parts you will need to get for the peripherials. If you need internal parts I either have them or can usually get them.
type11969
Thanks, I was hoping you would chime in. Those prices are more in line with what I was thinking, so that is good to know that I wasn't out of line.

-Chris
biosurfer1
I got all of the external stuff I needed for $125...and the the internal stuff from the good Dr. for an extra $100.
rhodyguy
when you are getting bushings, order the ones that cradle the ball on the shift lever, the shift rod coupler, where the rear rod goes thru the support housing on the trans, and the ball cup bushing where the linkage enters the trans.

k
type11969
Thats a ways out if you have seen my progress thread, hopefully I will remember when I start putting this thing back together!

Thanks,

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.