Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the best way to pack a windshield for moving?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I've got a windshield sitting in my shed that's brand new, and I've come to the realization that I will not get my LT1 914 done before I move 300 miles south to Escondido. Most of the project is packed away in plastic crates, but the windshield is bulky and fragile. I know from experience that windhsields can crack under their own weight if set down wrong. How the heck do I make sure it gets to the new place undamaged?

I've shipped rear glass in a custom expanding foam filled crate, but it was flat, and the rear glass is much stronger (tempered instead of laminated). I'd worry that pressure exerted by expanding foam could crack the windshield, and because it's not flat it would take quite a bit of foam.
Jenny
move it yourself. Seriously. On one of your trips south, make some room in the car for it. Have someone hold it. Whatever you do, don't stick it with the rest of the stuff that needs to be moved. Think 'carry on' as opposed to 'checked luggage'.

Jen
r_towle
place it were is goes in the car with foam insulation tape insted of butyl behind it, use duct tape to hold it in.

Rich
Aaron Cox
a crate.... wrap the windshield in trashbas full of packing peanuts... then fill the entire crate with expanding foam smile.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 10 2007, 02:54 PM) *

place it were is goes in the car with foam insulation tape insted of butyl behind it, use duct tape to hold it in.

Rich

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.