Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seatbelt bolt plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
Anyone know where I can buy a new seatbelt bolt plate (the plate welded into the inside of the long to which the seatbelt bolts to)? I had to cut mine out, the bolt was rusted in solid.

Thanks,

Chris
914Sixer
Someone will have to cut you a good one out of a car.
McMark
agree.gif

Or fabricate your own.
type11969
Do either of you know the thread size and pitch for the seatbelt bolts? I seem to remember hearing at one point that it was actually a US size. Any reason why this wouldn't work (assuming the thread size is right):

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/boltkit.html

IPB Image

-Chris
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jan 11 2007, 05:10 AM) *

Do either of you know the thread size and pitch for the seatbelt bolts? I seem to remember hearing at one point that it was actually a US size. Any reason why this wouldn't work (assuming the thread size is right):

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/boltkit.html

IPB Image

-Chris

Give that man a cigar! 7/16-20 it is!.

The hex head is 17mm. The sholder is 14mm and the thread is 7/16-20
I have one I could cut out for you but it is really rusty and crappy. You would be better off making a new one or a better donor.
type11969
Why can't I just buy the plate above and weld it in?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jan 11 2007, 05:49 AM) *

That part is $3.00! nice and cheap. You may need to modify it. It may need to be narrower a little. I would also grind off the plating where it gets welded. Go for it! It's not worth the trouble to cut out a rusty one for 3 bucks.

BTW the work on your car looks great.
type11969
Thanks! Yeah, I would definitely grind that plating off, I don't need to breathe that in!

-Chris
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We of course with our longitudinal pieces we make have had the seat belt bolt and plate made which we weld into the longitudinal repair.
type11969
Ummm, okay.
SirAndy
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jan 11 2007, 05:49 AM) *

because your life depends on it ... ?!? confused24.gif

ever looked at the stock mounting (unrusted)?
it's pretty beefy, and i have a hunch it was done that way for a reason ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
type11969
I'm intimately familiar with the stock mounting, I'm sure you have seen my progress thread. So the question is, have you ever seen the stock mounting method from inside the long? The stock mounting is a plate welded to the inside of the long, a plate very similar to the one pictured. I will know for sure when it is in my hand. Anyway, it is held in place in the long with a few spot welds, and it relies on the integrity of the long for its strength (the plate would have to tear through the long or the threads would have to fail for the seatbelt to fail). I can't remember offhand, but the long probably was double thick in that area.

And yes, the stock mounting I saw was rusty, but that plate in the pic "seems" to be as thick as stock. So I fail to see why using this plate would be any different that what was originally provided. I suppose I am assuming the material properties of the OEM plate and this new plate are the same, but beyond that, what is the problem?

-Chris
John
I still believe that these are a non-standard METRIC thread (close to 7/16-20).

M11x1.25

The metric tap easily screws into the recepticles like it should, while the 7/16-20 tap cuts new threads if it is inserted. I know racing harnesses typically come with 7/16-20 threaded fasteners and will thread (tightly) into the car.

Here is at least one past thread....Helicoil Inserts for Seat Belts?

just my opinion.
type11969
Interesting. Well I got the installation kit anyway with a 7/16-20 bolt, so I should be fine.

-Chris

Also, I contacted the company and the mounting plates are DOT approved. Couldn't get a material spec out of them unfortunately.
SirAndy
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jan 11 2007, 10:22 AM) *

So I fail to see why using this plate would be any different that what was originally provided. I suppose I am assuming the material properties of the OEM plate and this new plate are the same, but beyond that, what is the problem?

because that plate you show doesn't seem to have a lot of thread-depth ...

i'm not worried about the plate folding and tearing through the sheetmetal, i'm worried about stripping the threads in a major impact.

the stock mounting nut on the back is quite deep ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(John @ Jan 11 2007, 11:34 AM) *

I still believe that these are a non-standard METRIC thread (close to 7/16-20).

agree.gif i highly doubt they would have used anything BUT metric ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I put a pic on the title auto atlanta longitudinal repair showing the nut plate installed on the repair piece. We had to have 500 of these nut plates made (different threads than usual) so if you get into a tight I could have our metal stamper send you one.
type11969
As I mentioned, I am aware of the thread pulling out issue, believe you me I'll check to see if the thread engagement is similar. Its DOT approved, so I can only imagine it will be. Worst comes to worse, I thread the bolt in, thread a 7-16-20 nut onto the bolt on the backside, and weld the nut to the plate.

type11969
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 11 2007, 12:02 PM) *

I put a pic on the title auto atlanta longitudinal repair showing the nut plate installed on the repair piece. We had to have 500 of these nut plates made (different threads than usual) so if you get into a tight I could have our metal stamper send you one.

Thanks! Already ordered this other item, but if it doesn't work out, I will keep your offer in mind.

-Chris
McMark

Hey! That's my thread! biggrin.gif I did a lot of research for that and IMHO the stock bolts are definitely and undeniably M11 x 1.25.
Cap'n Krusty
Seat belt fastening hardware is pretty much universal, probably due more to the Feds than practicality. Those commonly available plates are gonna be just fine, as long as you weld them to something equally as sturdy! The Cap'n
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 11 2007, 12:37 PM) *

Hey! That's my thread! biggrin.gif I did a lot of research for that and IMHO the stock bolts are definitely and undeniably M11 x 1.25.

Dang! Looks like I jumped a little too quick. It fit a 7/16-20 quite nicely. Closer examination and McMark is correct. M11 X 1.25. Odd size. I have M11 X 1.5 taps and dies but not that one. The diameter is only .004" off.
tracks914
I tried to find M11 1.25 nuts so that I could make my own.Couldn't find one. I couldn't even find a M11 tap so I just paid someone about $30US to cut 2 good ones out of a parts car and mail them to me.
All installed, original and happy.
John
You didn't try America's Hardware store (aka The Magic Yellow Book, aka McMaster Carr)

(That is where I bought my tap)
dflesburg
Cant find any M11x1.25 bolts at McMaster Carr
flesburg
PCA rules for DE and Club Racing do not want you to use stock mounting points, because
they are too dependent on sheetmetal only.

They want you to use a threaded eye (I got mine from Pegasus Racing). Get two huge like 3" "fender washers" that they also sell. Drill a hole through the floor and mount the anchors through the floor with two washers one on top and one on the bottom, then a lock washer and a big nut.

www.pegasusautoracing.com page 22 Forged eyebolt kit, (the eyebolt, nut and backup washer for 5.49 each.

Their eyebolt is 7/16 - 20 and they will screw into the standard mounting points on a 914. Years ago we did that and then welded the eyebolt to the stock mounting point.
dflesburg
thanks dad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.