Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exterior Door Handle Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jagalyn
The passenger door handle chrome "flapper" part that you pull on to open the door does not return flush with the car. It sticks out about 1/8" to 1/4". Can someone tell me what I need to do to fix this problem. The handle functions properly otherwise.

Thanks,
Jeff
markb
The plastic part (the actuator) is probably broken. Check out my re-keying thread, and look at the first post, and the 6th post, and you'll see what it looks like. You can get the part at most of our suppliers (Pelican, GPR, our own hwgunner etc).
nomore9one4
Are you sure it is on the correct side? There is a right and left handle
URY914
If the handle functions properly like you say it's propably not the plastic piece. Try shooting a bunch of WD40 in there to flush out any crap around the spring and the pin. Open the door and pull the flapper back and you can see the spring.

Is the handle loose on the door?
jagalyn
The handle is not loose. The flapper pulls and opens the door normally, it just sticks out 1/8 to 3/16 when you let go of it.

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 11 2007, 04:36 AM) *

If the handle functions properly like you say it's propably not the plastic piece. Try shooting a bunch of WD40 in there to flush out any crap around the spring and the pin. Open the door and pull the flapper back and you can see the spring.

Is the handle loose on the door?

URY914
Sounds like you have a build up of crap on the spring and pin or crap on the body of the unit that the silder fits around. You have to take the handle off the door to get this part. You can see this from the outside. See my blog, I have some links to "how-tos" for taking the handle off the door. If you need some parts let me know.
Lavanaut
I had this exact same thing start happening to me after I replaced a broken door latch cam on the driver's side. Mine's caused by the new cam simply not sliding freely, which is what yours sounds like. Easy to fix once you've got the door handle out...but a PITA to get to that point. dry.gif You can see it here in the pic below, this was the broken cam that I replaced.

Good luck!
URY914
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jan 11 2007, 10:31 AM) *

Easy to fix once you've got the door handle out...but a PITA to get to that point. dry.gif

Once you get the inside door panel off, the real PITA is trying to find the allen head bolt that holds the front of the handles to the door. You can't see it and there isn't much room to get your hand in there. You can use a small mirror to see the bolt head than get the allen wrench in the head. Once you've done it a few times it's easy. Kinda like, well, everything.
URY914
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jan 11 2007, 10:31 AM) *

I had this exact same thing start happening to me after I replaced a broken door latch cam on the driver's side. Mine's caused by the new cam simply not sliding freely, which is what yours sounds like. Easy to fix once you've got the door handle out...but a PITA to get to that point. dry.gif You can see it here in the pic below, this was the broken cam that I replaced.

Good luck!

If the tab on the "cam" (this should be called a "slider") is broken completely off like that one is, the handle will not function at all. That missing tab is the piece that releases the latch on the door.

This pic shows the tab on the slider in place.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 11 2007, 11:04 AM) *

If the tab on the "cam" (this should be called a "slider") is broken completely off like that one is, the handle will not function at all.

Yep, that's why mine needed to be replaced, door wouldn't open. hijacked.gif

Don't wanna confuse things though, jagalyn's problem is almost certainly caused by the cam (or "slider") not sliding freely. smile.gif
markb
After reading what has been said here, I have to agree it's probably gunk not allowing the cam/slider/actuator to move freely.
URY914
Just as a further bit of info, I have seen the new black replacement sliders fail. The don't break like the original ones do. The problem is the two "legs" that stick up and attach to the flapper will BEND OUTWARD when the flapper is pulled to open the door. If the latch of the door is binding on the door post and not releasing, the legs of the sliper will bend out. Then you take the handle off and everythink looks fine. You put it back on and it doesn't work. Now that is a PITA.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Please notice how we've reinforced the flap and door latch base in the places where they always break.

IPB Image
IPB Image
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we make all of these pieces the black door latch cam being the first part we ever had made back in 1982! We guarantee all for life.
The flap and the base are certainly not for the concours enthusiast, but a less expensive alternative for 914 drivers.
URY914
So is this the plan George, with every thread you're reply with a part that you are selling that will solve the problem? This place is workin' out great for you.

Pardon my tone, but I felt that I had to say it.

SLITS
echo popcorn[1].gif
rhodyguy
the whole mechanisim inside the door must be cleaned and lubricated for any new slider to function properly.

k
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 11 2007, 05:50 PM) *

So is this the plan George, with every thread you're reply with a part that you are selling that will solve the problem? This place is workin' out great for you.

Easy Paul. That was no worse than the gospel of jake and all of his infomercials in threads.

At least he was ON TOPIC poke.gif av-943.gif

smile.gif
URY914
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jan 11 2007, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 11 2007, 05:50 PM) *

easy paul. that was no worse than the gospel of jake and all of his infomercials in threads.

At least he was ON TOPIC av-943.gif

smile.gif

But Jake didn't just show up in the last 2 weeks. Jake has been giving advice longer than he has been selling parts.
markb
Nice pictures of the door handle parts, tho. smile.gif
firstknight13
biggrin.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif popcorn[1].gif smile!!!!!!!!!!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 11 2007, 04:50 PM) *

Pardon my tone, but I felt that I had to say it.

Please please please. I am not here to sell parts only to provide information and advice. Too many do not know that these cheap parts are available for the 914 and keep searching fruitlessly.
I am not asking anyone to buy from us EVER! We have plenty of sales here so I did not come here to make more. Pelican and GPR have these parts available so buy from them! (Dave needs some more sales right now to support his two ex wives, and is a hell of a nice guy)
Please again, I am here for advice and guidance and nothing more. If a person asks a question about a part I will provide it and continue to do so. the door latch thread was one that I felt I could appropriately comment on as we MAKE the black cam and if it fails it is guaranteed and when I saw the broken base I showed the base with a built in reinforcement. Notice I did not say they were for sale NOR put a price on it.
By the way I am about to post another pic that you will probably not like either if the door latch offended you!!!!!! But it is a really neat picture and actually our Garrett here though of it yesterday and our man Dan made it happen. It made me laugh to see it like that as I had never really visualized it as a whole (so to speak you will see what I am alluding to when you see the pictures!!!!)
This is all for fun, and I have the most of it every day!
eric914
You all must admit we have see some cool info since the Dr. has been posting. Steel roof 916 conversion and assembly of available hell hole repair pieces to name two. Finding sources for parts for our cars is part of the challenge. Any info should be viewed as welcome.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(eric914 @ Jan 15 2007, 10:06 AM) *

You all must admit we have see some cool info since the Dr. has been posting. Steel roof 916 conversion and assembly of available hell hole repair pieces to name two. Finding sources for parts for our cars is part of the challenge. Any info should be viewed as welcome.

Thank you for the vote of confidence
914werke
George has there ever been any consideration to offer these NON-Chome?
Satin Black is the obvious alternitive smile.gif
If so Would they cost less?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.