IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image

$4200
14,000 miles
timing belt replaced at 12k miles
Elliot Cannon
Ask THOMAS. He's a Ducati freeeek.
jasons
BUY IT!!!! I had a 750SS of the same vintage. I loved that bike, I still love that bike. There is nothing like a Ducati Twin at full note. Awesome canyon carvers, air cooled, they're alot like 914's.

Also that looks like an SS-SP which has adjustable front and rear suspension.
Twystd1
If you need empirical information from A BUNCH OF GUYS THAT RIDE THEM DAILY...

pm ME... i HOOK YOU UP....

dam caps buton
Joe Bob
Interesting valves and adjustments....read up on them.

Major cool bike....
jasons
Oh and I forgot. WHEELIE MACHINES!!! Those bikes love to get up on the rear wheel.
Twystd1
I am looking at Three right now..

The Ducati BoyZzz just showed up at the cafe....

Very kewl cats... All European guys. And they always bring insane choclates from around the world when they show up. (And they gimme some.. very kewl)

And their chicks are VERY GOOD to look at... The chicks have their own bikes.
No back seaters here.....

Clayton
neo914-6
One of my friends had one until he got married blink.gif

My other friend got one a few months ago and he's a Yamaha motorcycle designer Actually they consider this "research". laugh.gif
Twystd1
Hi, I'm on Claytons computer. He said you were looking for some feedback on the Duc. I sell them and have been in the bus for over 5 years. The 900SS are great, reliable, relatively easy to maintain bike. You do have to look them over for corrosion from poor storage conditions as the finishes on certain parts was not of the best quality. If the belts were done at 12K that great because it means it had its most expensive service until 24K miles. But how long ago was the 12K service done? If it was more than a few years ago, you'll want to put a new set of belts on (about $180), as they might have some dryrot or cracking and the last thing you want is them to let go...expensive repairs. The bike has the desirable full fairings which are not easy to come by these days, so if everything looks good and well taken care of, you're getting a great deal for $4200. Hope this helps.
ahdoman
Buy it! I sold mine about 2 years ago and regretted it ever since! If you like to tinker on your 914 you'll love the Ducati. It's an unbelievable bike. nothing else sounds like it or feels like it. Parts can be a little scarce but once you get it dialed in and know it you'll never regret it. Remember it's Italian but since you own a teener you know about pain. Oh, and your jackstands won't work either!
seanery
Thanks everyone! keep the info coming!

Anyone know where I can find specs? Any books I should go pick up (like at Borders, etc...)?

I appreciate all of the first hand knowledge on this. biggrin.gif
PatW
I had one. What do you want to know?
seanery
Pat,
I know absolutely NOTHING about these beautiful Italian bikes!

I've always been a Harley guy, but right now can't afford one, so I thought I'd get a sport(y) bike to get around while on tour with the circus. Plain jane isn't my style either, I like "character cars" - and bikes smile.gif Your average Honda or Yamaha, while probably being a great bike just seems a bit boring. I ended up finding the Ducati and fell in love with the style and performance reputation of them.

That's it - I know no more biggrin.gif
mudfoot76
I looked at getting a second hand Ducati like that 4 years ago. At the time, the bike was about 5 yr old. It was at a local bike shop, they were asking 3.5k, but the previous owner(s) had not taken very good care of it even though it has low miles (less than 10k). The main thing that stopped me from getting it was the insurance. One year of basic coverages was going to cost more than both my cars combined blink.gif
Marv's3.6six
I have had a 900SS a 900 Monster, and a hotted up 996, and currently own a VROD. If your reference point is the Harley then be prepared for a radical change in riding style.

IMO a Harley is like a Lincoln Town car and a Ducati is like a Ferrari, very different.
Harleys are social tools (for group "put put" rides) a Ducati is a Hooligans bike, a knee draggers rip it up bike with major Italian style of course.
Joe Bob
Where do ya put a "Guzzi" sport bike? Ya know...the other Italian?
914-8
I had a 2000 Monster 900i.e.

Very fun. Technically pretty neat. Fuel injected, desmo valve system. Nicely made bike, I never had any problems with it.

I've had lots of other sports bikes, mostly high revving japanese bikes. The Duc was more like a V8. Two big cylinders = lots of torque. It was fun to cruise at 3000 rpm and roll back the throttle and feel the torque. In my old age, I've come to like torque more than screaming revs.

The sound was also awesome with the carbon pipes and an open airbox.

To my eyes, it was absolutely beautiful to look at. To me, perfect, just how a motorcycle should look and feel.

I think mechanically, the 900SS is similar.

Fun bikes, I liked it a lot.

IPB Image
JmuRiz
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 10 2007, 09:02 PM) *

Interesting valves and adjustments....read up on them.

Major cool bike....

Yep, those are the only issues with the bike, not the easiest thing to adjust and you have to do them relatively often. It's a lot like a ferrari 308 in that way, you can get them for a good price but the maint might cost you if you don't DIY.

Cool bikes though, I have to agree, desmo valvetrain and dry clutch make for some cool sounds! Go for it.
effutuo101
That is a great deal. Buy it. One of my all time favorite bikes. Second only to the 500cc version by the same mfg.
PatW
QUOTE(seanery @ Jan 12 2007, 05:08 AM) *

Pat,
I know absolutely NOTHING about these beautiful Italian bikes!

I've always been a Harley guy, but right now can't afford one, so I thought I'd get a sport(y) bike to get around while on tour with the circus. Plain jane isn't my style either, I like "character cars" - and bikes smile.gif Your average Honda or Yamaha, while probably being a great bike just seems a bit boring. I ended up finding the Ducati and fell in love with the style and performance reputation of them.

That's it - I know no more biggrin.gif

Great bikes.. Just make sure you get it checked out by a pro.. Lots of horror stories about getting parts from Italy ohmy.gif so be ready to wait or you'll have to adapt. Front brake master cylinder sucks. Replace with someting from Japan..
Engine bolts are a joke. Replace with bolts from NicholsMfg.com. Watch cam belts and valve adjustment. Adjust valves every 5-to-7k. Replace Cam Belts every 9k. Watch the cam rollers too!. Most Ducatis are sprung stiff, so you'll want to revalve the supension sometime. Factory jetting is really lean, better to jet and pipe to wake up a few ponies. Stock seat is a butt killer, get a Corbin. Be ready to shell out big $$ if someting goes wrong and wait for a long time.

Scare you off yet? smile.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(914-8 @ Jan 12 2007, 08:18 AM) *

I had a 2000 Monster 900i.e.

Very fun. Technically pretty neat. Fuel injected, desmo valve system. Nicely made bike, I never had any problems with it.

I've had lots of other sports bikes, mostly high revving japanese bikes. The Duc was more like a V8. Two big cylinders = lots of torque. It was fun to cruise at 3000 rpm and roll back the throttle and feel the torque. In my old age, I've come to like torque more than screaming revs.

The sound was also awesome with the carbon pipes and an open airbox.

To my eyes, it was absolutely beautiful to look at. To me, perfect, just how a motorcycle should look and feel.

I think mechanically, the 900SS is similar.

Fun bikes, I liked it a lot.

IPB Image

I showed this thread to my son and he agrees wholeheartedly - he now has a Monster 900ie and loves it! I believe the Monster line is the modern successor to the SS.
Keep 'em flying!
seanery
not scared yet...keep trying biggrin.gif
914werke
Ya know...the other Italian?

What do you call Aprilia? Laverda, Bimota? burnout.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.