Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 rear trailing arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I need to find 944 rear trailing arms, cheap obviously....

Rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 11 2007, 08:05 AM) *

I need to find 944 rear trailing arms, cheap obviously....

Rich

please what year kind steel or aluminum?
Aaron Cox
sticking em on a beetle are we?
McMark
Nah, he's sticking them on a Type 3.... Noo a bus! Noooo a 914!!!! mueba.gif

av-943.gif

mellow.gif I'm not funny.
r_towle
Looking for steel at this point.
I may just rip up a perfectly good setup out of a ghia to get what I need.

I need the whole tube, with mounts for the a-arms.

doing an independent suspension speedster out of a coupe.

Rich
McMark
Cool. thumb3d.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
r_towle
Soon, still working on the hole in my garage so it looks a bit more like a car.

I sectioned the deck lid, ripped out all the previous metal work that the previous owner did dry.gif and I am finalising the rest of the motor build for this car...2.6 liters...woohoo...

Once I get a bit more progress, I will sort through the pics and make a blog (new learning excersise on a cold day in the future)

Plans are to take out the rear suspension from a ghia I just got, get some new trailing arms (they are rusted out) build independant rear end, 901 from a 912 for a five speed, 2.6 liter, electric roof (think boxter...hideaway style)
Rosewood trim on dash, doors, around the door cavities, and rear conv cover piece...all rosewood.

then elec windows, A type headlights (its a C)
I havent decided on the front suspension yet, I think coil over would be nice, George suggested trying to get a 914/911 front suspension in there...not out of the question..just cause.

It will have 4 wheel disks, not some old C level stuff, but the new bolt on systems that can be had for a beetle or a 944.

Hmm
Back seat will be raised up, and a bench style for the dog, and it will hide the 901 tunnel and two big ass speakers that will shoot out behind the seat.

I may do a corvette style dash..the speedster has a single "hump" that mirrors the steering wheel, the vette (same vintage) has two humps, and the flow into a really nice center console...all in rosewood...that may happen..

For now, its metal work and a running driving car by June so I can bring the "beatster" to a local german car show and piss off a few CW level guys I know...

Oh, and it will be nice and loud.

Rich
racerbvd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2007, 12:40 PM) *

I sectioned the deck lid, ripped out all the previous metal work that the previous owner did dry.gif and I am finalising the rest of the motor build for this car...2.6 liters...woohoo...

Once I get a bit more progress, I will sort through the pics and make a blog (new learning excersise on a cold day in the future)

Plans are to take out the rear suspension from a ghia I just got, get some new trailing arms (they are rusted out) build independant rear end, 901 from a 912 for a five speed, 2.6 liter, electric roof (think boxter...hideaway style)
Rosewood trim on dash, doors, around the door cavities, and rear conv cover piece...all rosewood.

I havent decided on the front suspension yet, I think coil over would be nice, George suggested trying to get a 914/911 front suspension in there...not out of the question..just cause.

It will have 4 wheel disks, not some old C level stuff, but the new bolt on systems that can be had for a beetle or a 944.

Hmm
Back seat will be raised up, and a bench style for the dog, and it will hide the 901 tunnel and two big ass speakers that will shoot out behind the seat.

I may do a corvette style dash..the speedster has a single "hump" that mirrors the steering wheel, the vette (same vintage) has two humps, and the flow into a really nice center console...all in rosewood...that may happen..

For now, its metal work and a running driving car by June so I can bring the "beatster" to a local german car show and piss off a few CW level guys I know...

Rich

I have the control arms and the tube, and I'm open to trades!! But I'm in FL.
r_towle
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jan 16 2007, 04:58 PM) *

Hmm

Rich

show me what you got.
If I go all the way, its five lug brakes and all.
Rich
rick 918-S
That is going to be a cool project!

<<<<<<<-------------------- cool_shades.gif smile.gif
r_towle
Im gonna try a tricky thing...

open up the inner doors panel so there is a pocket (similar to the american roadster 356 in the previous Excellence magazine) and purely for a cup of coffee..
Each door will have enough room for a cup.
then behind that, or behind an inner skin, will be a window that will come up through the rosewood.
It will be cable driven to reduce the overall width of the mecanism...

Still in my mind right now...but it will happen.

For the short term I will build it with pockets, skin and rosewood, window may happen then or after depending upon time frame.

The roof will be the same...I will build the false seat back, create the cavity for the roof, cover it with a piece of hinged rosewood, but no roof on day one.

The roof, windows, and both lids will eventually be electric motors to move them.
Still contemplating suicide doors...not sure yet on that one..
But, If I gotta do it...I gotta go all the way.

Also thinking about one of those computers for the car...it hooks into and is controlled by a screen type radio...Im thinking that along with my music, I could look at the stats on how my car is running, and only put a speedo on the dash...really super clean look.
No gas guage, no tach...just the speedo.
and totally hide the radio behind a motorized door..but in the center console so you cant see it.

Rich
scotty b
Rich did you happen to see the Excellence or possibly 356 registry article about the guy who put a 944 suspension under a 356 front and rear IIRC? If not I'll hunt it down and let you know exactly which and when mag it is in. REALLY cool idea that drove like a dream I'm sure.

I'm also parting out an 86 944 if you need parts but I MAY be keeping the rear arms for a dune buggy. I probably have some steelies from a bug though!
racerbvd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2007, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jan 16 2007, 04:58 PM) *

Hmm

Rich

show me what you got.
If I go all the way, its five lug brakes and all.
Rich

I'm stuck in the office until I head to the DE this weekend, so it will be next week before I can get you the pix.
drewvw
I saw the beatster the other weekend, it is quite the recipe for an aircooled monster...you should definitely take some pics along the way.

ghias rule. needed to be said...
r_towle
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jan 16 2007, 09:14 PM) *

I saw the beatster the other weekend, it is quite the recipe for an aircooled monster...you should definitely take some pics along the way.

ghias rule. needed to be said...

Ghias are good for parts biggrin.gif

at least this one...as you know.

r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 16 2007, 08:12 PM) *

Rich did you happen to see the Excellence or possibly 356 registry article about the guy who put a 944 suspension under a 356 front and rear IIRC? If not I'll hunt it down and let you know exactly which and when mag it is in. REALLY cool idea that drove like a dream I'm sure.

I'm also parting out an 86 944 if you need parts but I MAY be keeping the rear arms for a dune buggy. I probably have some steelies from a bug though!

I really would love to see that article.

Please look it up.

Rich boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
scotty b
Rich the article is in the 356 Regristry mag Volume 29, number 5 January/February 2006. It has 944 (late) front suspension and 911 trailing arms and spring plates. Definitely werth your time to find it.I'll Pm you the info as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.