Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marvel Mystery Oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB 914
Ok, their is a thread on my boating forum talking about using marvel mystery oil to keep the engine clean, fuel system & tank clean, ect.

alot of guys swear by this stuff that it makes the engine run better, keeps it clean and helps keep the tank clean.

anyone ever use it? is it snake oil or does it actually do some good?

popcorn[1].gif
So.Cal.914
We used it on old engines, and it does clean thing up and unclog oil passages.

Edit
Hey jkeyzer what am I chopped liver? Well now you have heard from others I

guess maybe I wasn't lying.

Paul
mightyohm
I have always thought it was snake oil. I would be interested to hear if anyone has any first hand evidence that it does anything beneficial. I think there is something wrong with putting a muscle car product into a Porsche. biggrin.gif
JB 914
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 11 2007, 11:43 PM) *

I have always thought it was snake oil. I would be interested to hear if anyone has any first hand evidence that it does anything beneficial. I think there is something wrong with putting a muscle car product into a Porsche. biggrin.gif

I'm thinking for the twin V8's in my boat. boat engines have to deal with living in a harsh salt water enviorment.

if it will be helpful to the fuel system and keeping the tank happy then it's worth it.
Twystd1
Aaron uses Marvel Mystery Oil in his underwear....

I dunno why...

If you don't believe me......

Shake his hand..... Now go smell your hand...

SEE... I TOLD YOU SO......!!!!!!!

So Joe, hows the engine swaps/builds going???

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
ive used it to lube air tools......

crash914
its like electrical magic smoke..... wink.gif
pfierb
At one time years ago I had a Corvair that I installed a Judson supercharger on it had a glass tank that was to be kept filled with Marvel Mystery oil as per Judson's instructions also a Chicago Pneumatic air wrench that CP wanted lubricated with the stuff.....So I would assume that Marvel Mystery works,never had any trouble with the air wrench or the supercharger.
Jake Raby
Yep, I use it... I use a shot glass full in every tank of fuel and a week before an oil change I'll dump a cup full in the oil sump..

It is the best upper cylinder lubricant and the only oil that I have ever seen that claeans AND lubricates..

I even use it to clean and lube rifles, pistols and shotguns..
Ferg
It unstuck my sometimes sticky lifter. No sticky lifter since biggrin.gif , plus I feel better knowing the inside of my engine is cleaner FERG.gif

Ferg
jd74914
We unfroze a Chevy engine with it . . . in a few weeks I'm trying it in an Olds Rocket 303 that my dad rebuild almost 30 years ago and never ran (this one's not frozen, but I'd rather be safe than sorry).

So in my experience it does work very well.
brer
I am told that when added to the gas tank it is also lubricates the injectors and that using it will extend their life.

very important in my opinion with the cost of ours.
Joe Bob
It's good in gas tanks for good running motors....I prefer Techron or Seafoam for ones that have issues.

I have used it as a penetrant for stuck motors.....
Crazyhippy
No experiance w/ cars, but use it as an additional lube in my outboard (2.5liters, and 330HP turning just over 10,000 rpm)

BJH
Cap'n Krusty
Dyed and scented Kerosene, more or less. Works as advertised, though. The Cap'n
whatabout1
Used to add it to the gas in the early electric fuel pump days.
Those pumps liked to sieze after running them out of gas a few times.

It cured the problem. Also used Seafoam.

b
jfort
i had good experience with their transmission oil additive on an old mercedes.
Brando
Marvel Mystery oil... Works great as advertised. I ran it through as a detergent on my 944 pre-oil-change and it not only cleaned out the passages good but it unstuck the sticking hydraulic lifter and made things simple quiet again.
JB 914
thanks for all the feedback. i'm going to give it a whirl on my boat engines and fuel tank.

I heard Twsdtd1 uses it as a sunscreen and insect repelant when he's in Mexico.
Crazyhippy
Twysted1 needs not repelant of any kind, as nothing is attracted to him (besides Aaron). Might be useful as sunscreen though.

BJH
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jan 12 2007, 11:18 PM) *

Twysted1 needs not repelant of any kind, as nothing is attracted to him (besides Aaron). Might be useful as sunscreen though.

BJH

something about pheremones..... chairfall.gif
JPB
One of them items aircraft mechanics swear by. Dollar for dollar, this product is by far the cheapest form of maintenence as in not having to use the whole bottle to get results and engine cleaning/protection. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.