Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barrett Jackson will be auctioning a 914-6 this week!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr. Roger
Porsche's for sale at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale, Az.
Link HERE.

6 1956 PORSCHE 356 RE-CREATION
107 1957 PORSCHE 356 SPEEDSTER RE-CREATION
122 1957 PORSCHE SPEEDSTER RE-CREATION
309 1956 PORSCHE 356 SPEEDSTER RE-CREATION
312 1987 PORSCHE 928S COUPE
415 1970 PORSCHE 914-6 TARGA 2 DOOR COUPE[i]
445 1977 PORSCHE 911 CUSTOM COUPE
605 1956 PORSCHE 356 SPEEDSTER RE-CREATION
646 1988 PORSCHE 930S SLANT NOSE COUPE
647 1966 PORSCHE 911 COUPE
698 1964 PORSCHE 356C COUPE
699 1986 PORSCHE 930 TURBO COUPE
725 1958 PORSCHE 356A CABRIOLET
734 1963 PORSCHE 356B COUPE
911 1956 PORSCHE 356 SPEEDSTER RE-CREATION
941.1 1997 PORSCHE C4S COUPE
987 1955 PORSCHE 356 SPEEDSTER
1211 1955 PORSCHE SPYDER RE-CREATION COUPE
1333 1955 PORSCHE 356 SPEEDSTER
1333.1 1956 PORSCHE 356A CABRIOLET
1507 1956 PORSCHE SPEEDSTER RE-CREATION
1585 2003 PORSCHE GRAVITY RACER
9030 1979 PORSCHE 911 SC TARGA
SGB
Its supposed to rain here, so no biking. I've got a lot of teener work to do, and an old TV in the garage. Ahhhh. Weekend! smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
certainly not a concours car and not an originally restored car. Look at the wool carpet kit in this one and the non original vinyl upholstry.
rwjames
Knowing B-J, it could set a new world record for the sales price of a 914-6 or it could be a deal for someone.

I am looking for a nice original or restored to original six and considered registering to bid, but never got around to it and it would probably be too much trouble for the price it will go for including the buyers premium. Plus, I'm not familiar with the shop that restored it and the quality of the work they performed.

I guess I will keep waiting for Dr. 914 to come down on the price on a six he has.

Anyone know the day and time the 914-6 will be auctioned?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 12 2007, 07:31 PM) *

certainly not a concours car and not an originally restored car. Look at the wool carpet kit in this one and the non original vinyl upholstry.

You're right. Not a concours interior. Console w/guages, incorrect carpet, looks like a recovered steering wheel, incorrect seat vinyl, hacked-up looking radio install, etc. What about the dash vents? Aren't they from a later car?

Still.....a very nice 914 & I'll bet someone sets a record price. Too bad for him!
Mike D.
I don't think the bidders at a B-J auction are looking for a 914. There was a 6 auctioned a couple of years ago and it didn't go for very much...
I'll try to find the info...

Edit: I couldn't find the info on the 6 I was thinking of, but I did find that 1970 4 sold for 18K - so I could be totally wrong about this...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
ok maybe we could play a little game. I wrote a list of 24 points that would make this car not pass factory muster, that is things that are not now the way the car came from the factory and would get points off in any concours originale competition. So far we have Pat's comments about the 1. no console with gauges for 1970 914-6 2. wrong carpet 3. steering wheel cover. Please who is next
914werke
Euro R. Lens's!
Eric_Shea
Hood Crest
LE Spoiler
Eric_Shea
Radio
Cocco Mats
Eric_Shea
Rear Valance
GeorgeRud
My weinie side is coming out! I found:
!. Wrong heat exchanger air duct material
2. Bosch Blue coil
3. Wavy Front bumper rubber
4. Incorrect rear trunk fit on driver's rear corner
5. 15" Fuchs should be 14"
6. Air deflectors under car
7. Limited Edition Spoiler
8. Leather steering wheel wrap
9. Odo reset know incorrectly placed
10. 911 cigarette lighter
11. Aftermarket radio
12. Porsche hood badge
13. center console
14. Porsche highlighted on valve covers
15. wrong air cleaner
16. Handthrottle missing
17. no foot rest
18. wrong fitting coco mats

After all that, not a bad looking car however. It will be interesting so see what it goes for. If it's big, big bucks, I may have to list mine!
Eric_Shea
Missing Battery Cover
Blue Coil?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 12 2007, 06:38 PM) *

ok maybe we could play a little game. I wrote a list of 24 points that would make this car not pass factory muster, that is things that are not now the way the car came from the factory and would get points off in any concours originale competition. So far we have Pat's comments about the 1. no console with gauges for 1970 914-6 2. wrong carpet 3. steering wheel cover. Please who is next

OK George I'll give it a shot- Euro Tailights, yes I've sinced removed them from my LE. Center console is all wrong- wrong style for that year, wrong number of gauges & where is the throttle control? Is that lighter right? Is that the right antenna- ie. Hirschman? Not sure- do sixes come w/ a rain guard on the engine bay? Also not sure- did sixes have that big pocket on the drivers door? cool_shades.gif
Instru-Mental

The surround for the inner door handle looks like black plastic rather than chrome, the crest on the hood.......
Eric_Shea
Metal air filter box
Fresh Air hoses
sixnotfour
door panels (should be smooth)
heater knob (should be red)
clear back window (not sure about this ,but the 7 ive had had defrost)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 12 2007, 03:43 PM) *

Euro R. Lens's!

that is number four!
G e o r g e
isn't this the 6 that the place in Palm Springs Area re did?"
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 12 2007, 04:02 PM) *

Hood Crest
LE Spoiler

that is five and six!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 12 2007, 04:03 PM) *

Radio
Cocco Mats

can't really count these because those wrong accessory mats would be pulled out for the concours and the old blaupunkt cassette could have been installed at the dealer and accepted by the concours judges (but is does look bad!!)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 12 2007, 04:04 PM) *

Rear Valance

that is seven!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 12 2007, 04:04 PM) *

very very good!
My weinie side is coming out! I found:
!. Wrong heat exchanger air duct material

that is eight

2. Bosch Blue coil

that is nine

3. Wavy Front bumper rubber

doesn't count this is factory and clean and original just a little old!

4. Incorrect rear trunk fit on driver's rear corner
that is ten!

5. 15" Fuchs should be 14"
could have been either installed on these cars as an option

6. Air deflectors under car
that is 11

7. Limited Edition Spoiler

that was six
8. Leather steering wheel wrap

that was three

9. Odo reset know incorrectly placed
good! that is 12

10. 911 cigarette lighter

that is 13
11. Aftermarket radio that one is ok and will pass

12. Porsche hood badge
that was five

13. center console

that was1

14. Porsche highlighted on valve covers
good observation but maybe this would be considered overdetailing

15. wrong air cleaner
that is number 14
16. Handthrottle missing
number 15
17. no foot rest
number 16

18. wrong fitting coco mats may have been thrown in to protect carpets but not really an installed part.

You are very observant!

After all that, not a bad looking car however. It will be interesting so see what it goes for. If it's big, big bucks, I may have to list mine!

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 12 2007, 04:05 PM) *

Missing Battery Cover
Blue Coil?

battery cover? maybe blue coil Yes number 9
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jan 12 2007, 04:06 PM) *

OK George I'll give it a shot- Euro Tailights, yes I've sinced removed them from my LE. Center console is all wrong- wrong style for that year, wrong number of gauges & where is the throttle control? Is that lighter right? Is that the right antenna- ie. Hirschman? Not sure- do sixes come w/ a rain guard on the engine bay? Also not sure- did sixes have that big pocket on the drivers door? cool_shades.gif

all good observations Al, you are getting close on the engine lid. Yes sixes did have the door pocket, this one is just distorted a little. Antenna is ok you are right about the throttle and the lighter.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Instru-Mental @ Jan 12 2007, 04:06 PM) *

The surround for the inner door handle looks like black plastic rather than chrome, the crest on the hood.......

very good that is number 17
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 12 2007, 04:08 PM) *

Metal air filter box
Fresh Air hoses

very good Eric these are on the list!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 12 2007, 04:10 PM) *

door panels (should be smooth)

very good! it has 72 style door panels installed. that is 18

heater knob (should be red) that is 19

clear back window (not sure about this ,but the 7 ive had had defrost)

still an option for sixes although they were all wired for one. southern sixes seemed to never have them.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
six more. I found another. Who can find them?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I am leaving now I will post the rest tomorrow. There are several blatent things that are not so obvious though Certainly a nice car (we will never put down any 914!) and it will be fun to see what the car brings.
joeav8tor
I saw a couple of sixes the last year or two at the BJ auction that did not do very well...very low bids...and the owners let them go...not a good place to fetch a worthy price for such a special car.
Joe
SLITS
No center defrost vent if a '70

Wrong heater controls (not chrome ringed)

Center seat cushion does not look correct (looks like hinged type)

Headlight covers not aligned correctly

Shielded high tension wires

Oh well .... that's enough guessing .... makes the Brown Turd look real bad.
boxstr
To get back on track, this particular six has been around for about 4 years, off an don the different sale forums. I think it hit ebay at one time.
There are people who will go to BJ for a Porsche. I was their a year ago and watched as a very ricer 4 went across the block at $12k and a street racer 4 at $5000. I spoke to both of the winning bidders. They were very happy with their purchases.
Just because these cars are at BJ does not mean they are going to set world records. The cars that set world records are the extremely rare and extremely well preserved or restored muscle cars and or the flavor of the month.
Some of the cars at BJ are their and would not normally be for sale to the biddrs in attendance. Sellers realize that BJ brings out the top 10% of the collectors and bidders. No, I don't see any names here.
I think that BJ is an automotive experience that every gearhead should attend, just like Monterey Concours and the German Autofest, or Sebring or LeMans or Daytona.
I hope every 914 sold at BJ sets a world record. More power to the sellers and buyers.
CCLINSELLINGALLTHEWAY
Allan
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 12 2007, 04:49 PM) *

I hope every 914 sold at BJ sets a world record. More power to the sellers and buyers.
CCLINSELLINGALLTHEWAY

agree.gif
joeav8tor
it is a very nice looking 6 that most would be proud to own.
Joe
Mueller
Center caps on the Fuchs not in the correct orientation biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 12 2007, 07:49 PM) *

To get back on track, this particular six has been around for about 4 years, off an don the different sale forums. I think it hit ebay at one time.
There are people who will go to BJ for a Porsche. I was their a year ago and watched as a very ricer 4 went across the block at $12k and a street racer 4 at $5000. I spoke to both of the winning bidders. They were very happy with their purchases.
Just because these cars are at BJ does not mean they are going to set world records. The cars that set world records are the extremely rare and extremely well preserved or restored muscle cars and or the flavor of the month.
Some of the cars at BJ are their and would not normally be for sale to the biddrs in attendance. Sellers realize that BJ brings out the top 10% of the collectors and bidders. No, I don't see any names here.
I think that BJ is an automotive experience that every gearhead should attend, just like Monterey Concours and the German Autofest, or Sebring or LeMans or Daytona.
CCLINSELLINGALLTHEWAY

I agree with most of what you're saying & enjoy watching the auction every year. For me it's a question of truth in advertising. They claim to have restored the car when in fact they've done what is now referred to as a resto-mod. I love the car & think it's beautiful & wish I could attend the auction- not as a buyer but as a spectator. I think it's a trip & a lot of fun. I hope the car goes for a million. Would'nt that make all of us happy? cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 12 2007, 07:43 PM) *

I am leaving now I will post the rest tomorrow. There are several blatent things that are not so obvious though Certainly a nice car (we will never put down any 914!) and it will be fun to see what the car brings.

I don't think the door sill plates are attached w/ the right rivets.
Braided spark plug wires?
Left headlight alignment is off.
Is that the right shifter boot?
Did 70's come with the center pad?
Chrome tipped exhaust isn't right.
Not sure about the seat belt either.
Bitch, moan, complain- still wish I could add her to my collection! cool_shades.gif
boxstr
It's an auction, not a concours, they winning bidder won't give a crap if it has the wrong type of valve in the valve stems for the tires.
CCLINBJSOLD
GeorgeRud
Addtl:

No decelleration valve hoses on driver's side

Black instead of Red heat control knob

Black instead of chrome shift lever

No stickers on steering column stalks

Wrong windshield wiper attachment nuts

God. we're picky bastards!!!!!!
KaptKaos
Nice car, but did you look at the schedule of events?!?!?!? Live bands, cigar rolling, wine tasting, cooking demonstrations, fashion shows, Executive Jet Management Giveaway (WETF that is?!?), handwriting analysis and handbag give aways. Jeebus help us!
Crazyhippy
Threads like this make me glad i put a sooby in mine... no one can tell me i put the wrong colored hoses on it...

And if they do, i wont fell bad telling them to stick their heads back where they came from...

BJH
GeorgeRud
Yes, some of us suffer from cranio-rectal insetion syndrome. It only happens because we've been staring at the same car for 30+ years I guess.

I know there's a reason I don't enter concours besides being too damn lazy to clean and was the car!
Eric_Shea
battery cover?

Yes. My -6 had a T shaped battery cover from the factory.
rhodyguy
were indash cassette players for cars even produced in 70'? for a year appropriate dealer item i could see an 8-track.

k
gregrobbins
Is this right? Is that right?

Does the car have original factory oil in the motor and factory air in the tires?

Isn't it nice that this is a place where we can all hang out? CWs and hot rodders alike.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the size of the grin on your face after a good drive!

Fix 'em up pretty folks, but remember they were built to be DRIVEN.

Hey Doc, lets get that 916 running agin.
GWN7
If you look up 914's on BJ site they can't seem to make up their minds as to what a 914 is:

PORSCHE 914 CONVERTIBLE

PORSCHE 914 TARGA

PORSCHE 914 TARGA CUSTOM

PORSCHE 914 SPEEDSTER

PORSCHE 914 RDSTR

PORSCHE 914 6

PORSCHE 914 -6 TARGA

PORSCHE 914 -6 COUPE

12 cars listed with 9 different descriptions.... smile.gif
SP9146
Looks like it sold for $32,450
boxstr
Actually BJ does not edit the consignors auto descriptions. Plus you would find on a State title or regisration, for a 914, coupe,targa and conv. It is the consignor who tells BJ what th car is. BJ makes certain the vins are correct and that the car is free and clear and salable on the auction block.

The hammered price of the 914-6 was $29500, then the buyers premium of 10% if an in house bidder, plus $500 bidder regisration, plus transport of the car, and gas fod and lodging. This adds up to much more than the price you see on the screen when the car rolls away.
CCL
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 19 2007, 11:23 AM) *

Actually BJ does not edit the consignors auto descriptions. Plus you would find on a State title or regisration, for a 914, coupe,targa and conv. It is the consignor who tells BJ what th car is. BJ makes certain the vins are correct and that the car is free and clear and salable on the auction block.

The hammered price of the 914-6 was $29500, then the buyers premium of 10% if an in house bidder, plus $500 bidder regisration, plus transport of the car, and gas fod and lodging. This adds up to much more than the price you see on the screen when the car rolls away.
CCL

cool_shades.gif I was glad to see it go for what it did. Makes the price I paid for my 6 not seem so bad. maybe in the long run it will help increase the value of all teeners, maybe. By the way- nice trunk shocks Craig. I like them a lot. creamsicle914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.