Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot chuck beck is here anyone have any questions for him?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Chuck Beck is here visiting., Any questions for him? He says that he has inside knowledge that the James Dean 550 spyder wreck disappeared for insurance purposes!
r_towle
Where is it, that would be my first question.

Is he planning to sell a 904 kit?

Rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 13 2007, 09:07 AM) *

Where is it, that would be my first question.

Is he planning to sell a 904 kit?

Rich

Chuck says that the car was destroyed after it was destroyed the first time cut into a million pieces probably and then recycled

The latest on the 904 is that Chuck has three operating running prototypes that are very successful on the track and street. They are different than the originals as they are three inches longer in the cockpit for comfort with a sheetmetal floor and steel chassis for more rigidity than the original. With a 3.2 engine the 0 to 60 times are 3.2 with a top speed of 170 and 1.14 Gs on street tires on the skid pad.
Chuck has given up on the south african build but is talking to swift and a company in pennsylvania and in the next few days is going to make a decision
The plan is to build five cars for pr purposes and training. Chuck has many interested but is not taking any deposits. The five cars will appear in many of the magazines hopefully later this year but not more than the end of the year. Projected price 50,000 ready to go but no engine or transmission. Cars will be available with power windows and air if someone wants. Chuck is insisting on the best performance, and will except no substitutes.
As we all know Chuck has a steller reputation for creating the best in so called "KIT" cars, in fact we have one of his 550 spyders here in the showroom. The quality of the build is outstanding.
Again Chuck says, this is not a recreation of the 904 but more of a continuation upgraded to todays demanding performance standards
gregrobbins
There were reports that Dean car was toured for a little while. Also that the motor was removed and sold. Chuck know anything about that or care to comment.

Lots of stories about the car and its parts. Probably the one Porsche car that brought Porsche widely to public attention in the US. Maybe one of the reasons Porsche has always been so successful in the US.
race914
Any plans for a 'track only' version of the 904?

Would love to run on as a vintage tribute and would hate to have to 'gut' a street version.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Jan 13 2007, 09:29 AM) *

There were reports that Dean car was toured for a little while. Also that the motor was removed and sold. Chuck know anything about that or care to comment.

Lots of stories about the car and its parts. Probably the one Porsche car that brought Porsche widely to public attention in the US. Maybe one of the reasons Porsche has always been so successful in the US.

Chuck says George Barris (who originally bought the scrap) sold the engine and transmission and then, yes, took the car on tour and while in Miami, it "mysteriously" disappeared
Eric_Shea
Where's the free 904 you promised me? confused24.gif

I have the driveline... no worries there. biggrin.gif
GWN7
Tell him their nice looking cars....to bad kit cars are no longer allowed to be imported up here............
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(race914 @ Jan 13 2007, 09:32 AM) *

Any plans for a 'track only' version of the 904?

Would love to run on as a vintage tribute and would hate to have to 'gut' a street version.

Chuck is talking with Porsche this week about providing boxster s engines and transmissions for the cars. That way he could have an easy turn key car that is modern and reliable but looks exactly like a 904.
He has always been a racer and we were just talking about a stripped version FOR racing, and that is truly in the plans.
dinomium
Something like the Factory 5 program for racing would rock! Including the U assemble it pricetag...

Didnt that engine and transaxle go into a race car that ended up killing the driver? I also have read that the wrecked body slid of its skid and broke the leg of the truck driver?!

I have always LOVED the 550 Beck creation...
beerchug.gif
shadygrady
I think that was Chuck at Road Atlanta at DE in October with the 3.2 904. He first ran in my group (3) then moved up to faster group. Sure wish I had my camera that day. The car was nice and it would run.
ClayPerrine
I wonder what one of the Beck 904s would be like with a 993 twin turbo motor in it....

ohmy.gif

drooley.gif

Now I want one...... headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.