Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning baked oil off of SS heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrKona
I finally acquired a set of SS heat exchangers to replace my rusty originals. With some Mother's, they are shining up beautifully. drooley.gif

One of them has thick, baked on oil stuck to it. What should I use to get this stuff off? Oven cleaner? Carb cleaner? Anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks!

- Bryan
Aaron Cox
simplegreen works great too...

give it a try before you hit the nastyer solvents.... (carb cleaner/brake cleaner / acetone/ laqueur thinner / MEK etc...)
SirAndy
QUOTE(MrKona @ Jan 13 2007, 11:58 PM) *

One of them has thick, baked on oil stuck to it. What should I use to get this stuff off? Oven cleaner? Carb cleaner? Anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks!

brake cleaner. get a few cans, spray generously, let sit for a few minutes and it'll come right off with a old shop-rag ...

and try not to sniff too much of that stuff ...
wacko.gif Andy
MrKona
Thanks Aaron. I'll soak it with some Simple Green right now and check on it in the morning so see if it's softened up.
MrKona
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 14 2007, 12:04 AM) *

QUOTE(MrKona @ Jan 13 2007, 11:58 PM) *

brake cleaner. get a few cans, spray generously, let sit for a few minutes and it'll come right off with a old shop-rag ...

and try not to sniff too much of that stuff ...
wacko.gif Andy

Alright... Simple Green for starters, and if that doesn't work, brake cleaner with the garage door wide open... Thank you!
BigDBass
What Mother's product were you using for this?
Joe Bob
Wire brush on a polishing angle grinder.....
martinef1963
I took them and had them sandblasted which took care of the exterior stuff, then had them baked for ceramic prep.

They came out awsome, but this road I took to save time and elbow grease, not the road to take if your trying to save some $$$$

They look sweet though, here are some pictures:
pfierb
Try Oven Off....cleans up most nasty stuff.....wear rubber gloves
IanStott
I used the Bug & Tar remover that you can buy in the same section you get car wax at Walmart, worked great and I was comfortable knowing it was not too aggressive as it is the stuff you can use on your paint or chrome bumpers.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
D1A3
QUOTE(pfierb @ Jan 14 2007, 06:41 AM) *

Try Oven Off....cleans up most nasty stuff.....wear rubber gloves

I agree, oven cleaner worked best for me and was the quikest with minimal effort. If they are SS, you should have nothing to worry about.

--Jason
PORobinSCHE
a cheap way to clean them is first coat liberally with Gunk. the use an SOS pad to remove the stubborn stains.
if you want the S/S to shine afterwards, use Mother, Flitz,Renol,or any metal polish and a XXX(extra fine) steel wool pad. it will take awhile,but can be made to shine like chrome..

Robin
rhodyguy
don't forget to flush out the inner portion of the hes while you're at it.
Pat Garvey
All the products mentioned will work, particularly if you give some soak time. I'd use brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner, but that's just me, and after soaking for a while with Gunk. Very fine steel wool will wipe out any remaining stain, without scratching deeply, but I'd use it on the entire exchanger.

Then you can use whatever metal polishing compound you'r happy with - there are a number of good ones. I prefer Simichrome because it leaves a slight protective coating behind.
Pat
MrKona
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just gave them a shot of brake cleaner. Got off some crusty stuff, but those fumes, even outdoors, or scary. wacko.gif I think I'll hold off from using that again.

So now I'm letting them sit with Easy Off foam, the "no scent" type, which has a nice "lemony" scent. huh.gif I'll try wiping them down in a few hours.

Once they're clean, I'll shine them with Mothers metal polish. I have a big tub of it in the garage.

I'll post 'before' and 'after' pics when it's all done.
MrKona
Alright here's the "before" and "after" pics. The oil was really, really thick and rock-hard baked on, but after several applications of Easy Off, extra fine steel wool, wire wheel on drill and Dremel, and Mothers metal polish, here is the result:

- Bryan
Joe Bob
Pretty.....
swood
pretty crunked out...just like ma grill!
So.Cal.914
Those came out great.
mills914/s
Good job they came out great. clap56.gif
I need a set of those. Mine are super rusty and ugly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.