Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Owners manual pouch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I wanted to check something in my owners manual yesterday. It's been in my glovebox for almost 35 years now. I noticed that it's starting get a little brittle and I'm afraid of it developing a tear on the center fold area.

Has anyone had any success with any products that can even partially renew flexibility to this type of vinyl? I don't want to screw it up with some sort of junk goo.

Yeah, I know, they're on EBay frequently. I want to preserve the one that came with MY 914.
type4org
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 14 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Yeah, I know, they're on EBay frequently. I want to preserve the one that came with MY 914.

I'm not an expert in vinyl reconditioning, but in your situation I would put the original in a safe place and get a replacement manual for your glovebox that can be used and abused without worries.

914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 14 2007, 09:07 AM) *

I wanted to check something in my owners manual yesterday. It's been in my glovebox for almost 35 years now. I noticed that it's starting get a little brittle and I'm afraid of it developing a tear on the center fold area.

Has anyone had any success with any products that can even partially renew flexibility to this type of vinyl? I don't want to screw it up with some sort of junk goo.

Hey Pat...the ones on eVil Bay...Are NEW OEM type..
They DO NOT have that greyish inside color to them..
And are just the one color and thickness..
But Golly Gee the picture shows otherwise on eVil Bay??...
Hmmmmmmmm blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
So been there done that as per the info above,
in the other reply.....
Keep your Classic one tucked away for those 'Concour Days'..
OH>AND I have tried various treatments on mine to no avail... sad.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jan 16 2007, 12:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 14 2007, 09:07 AM) *

Hey Pat...the ones on eVil Bay...Are NEW OEM type..
They DO NOT have that greyish inside color to them..
And are just the one color and thickness..
But Golly Gee the picture shows otherwise on eVil Bay??...
Hmmmmmmmm blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
So been there done that as per the info above,
in the other reply.....
Keep your Classic one tucked away for those 'Concour Days'..
OH>AND I have tried various treatments on mine to no avail... sad.gif

Thanks for the info re: EBay items. You saved me some bucks, buddy!

Can't help but believe there's a product out there that will help. In the mea time, I'll take the sage advice from those who offered it - it stays indoors, away from the ravages of heat, cold, & UV rays - to be surfaced only for CW comp. No doubt I'll forget to dig it out & take it with me.
type4org
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 16 2007, 10:56 PM) *

Can't help but believe there's a product out there that will help. In the mea time, I'll take the sage advice from those who offered it - it stays indoors, away from the ravages of heat, cold, & UV rays - to be surfaced only for CW comp. No doubt I'll forget to dig it out & take it with me.

At least your contains some history. My pouch and manual are in pristine condition - too pristine, if there is such a thing. It has zero maintenance entries or delivery entries from the dealership. I'd rather have a tatty one with history sad.gif

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 17 2007, 05:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 16 2007, 10:56 PM) *

At least your contains some history. My pouch and manual are in pristine condition - too pristine, if there is such a thing. It has zero maintenance entries or delivery entries from the dealership. I'd rather have a tatty one with history sad.gif

True, my maintenance manual has delivery & maint info, but only to the point in time where I learned to perform the regular maintenance myself (somewhere around 50k miles). I did make notations in the maintenance manual, but stopped sometime in the late 70's & began keeping everything on written notes until the mid 80's, when I discovered spreadsheets (Quattro was my first). Since then, everything about the history of my car has been retro-created in spreadsheet and Powerpoint forms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.