Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cold Starting Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
Due to ongoing projects on my other two cars, my 914 was left out in the cold for the past couple of nights. I need to run a couple of errands today and feel that if I get my Monte Carlo back together and out of the garage, I might not get it back in unless I do some "driveway cleaning". (Had to take a "running start" from across the street yesterday to get up the driveway)

Is it "safe" to start the 914 with straight 30 weight oil when temps have been below 30* for a couple of days and let it warm up? If not, then I suspose I could buy a shovel while I'm out... dry.gif Guess I'll need a flat one anyways here...

Thanks!!

(It's always the 30 cent stuff that screws me up and halts projects..)
MBowman325
Replying to my own post. I'll take the penalty shot when I get home. beer3.gif

I forgot that OK actually uses salt on the roads. Since the Monte's already been out in it, I'll just buy a shovel. smile.gif
Joe Bob
30 weight isn't the best at sub freezing temps. But if you plan on just moving it indoors....wait till it's the wrmer part of the day before firing it up.

It may start slow.....but not just becuase of the oil...battery could be pissy as well.....
MBowman325
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 14 2007, 10:30 AM) *

wait till it's the wrmer part of the day before firing it up.

We're almost up to the 25* high for today. I'll let it stay until it thaws some, or I get the Impala outta the garage.

Thanks!
JPB
Just get an oil heater blink.gif
Twystd1
You may want to try the following.

Whenever the outside temp is below 35 degrees F.

And I need to start a 914.

I typically wait till summer.

Twystd1
IanStott
You guys crack me up, I worry about my engine getting too hot and then I think about how hot it gets where you are and then I don't worry about it any more! The rverse should be true as well, that is not that cold and our engines are not that fragile, of course the colder it is the thicker your oil is but just don't rev the hell out of it til it is up to temp and you will be fine. I remember an advertisement a long time ago, a VW Beetle was driving thriugh quite heavy snow, guy gets out and climbs into his snowplow and he says," How do ya think we get to work? " Beetles were pretty good in the snow, great if it had the optional gas heater, anyway just let her warm up a bit then take it easy til you feel heat coming.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Howard
QUOTE(IanStott @ Jan 14 2007, 08:40 PM) *

You guys crack me up, I worry about my engine getting too hot and then I think about how hot it gets where you are and then I don't worry about it any more! The rverse should be true as well, that is not that cold and our engines are not that fragile, of course the colder it is the thicker your oil is but just don't rev the hell out of it til it is up to temp and you will be fine. I remember an advertisement a long time ago, a VW Beetle was driving thriugh quite heavy snow, guy gets out and climbs into his snowplow and he says," How do ya think we get to work? " Beetles were pretty good in the snow, great if it had the optional gas heater, anyway just let her warm up a bit then take it easy til you feel heat coming.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

+1

Just let it warm up without a lot of revs or load. 30w pours just fine at 20 degrees F.
nebreitling
don't believe in multi-viscosity?
mrhurtalot
haha micael WELCOME TO OKLAHOMA!

did youlike how it was 70 degrees on thursday? i drove my teener to school!

did you like how it was -0 friday and sleeting and ice storming? me and my explorer ended up in a creek last night! woohoo

when it gets warmer you need to give me a call. we can work on our cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.