Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ws91420
A few questions about building a performance type 4

2.0 heads can you do a port and polish on them? will it help anything?

I know a 2056 is 96mm bore with 71mm stock 2.0 stroke
is a 2270 a stoker motor or just a bigger bore
what bore and stroke is a 2270

if I go 2270 is 40mm webers enough
or is a 2056 good enough for me w/ the webers

what advantage is a counterweighted crank in these motors
Twystd1
Howabout.....
Before we try to answer all these questions.

What do you want from this engine?

I.E. performance data.

As the answers to some of your questions have multiple answers.

So what are your performance needs...???????

Clayton
ws91420
Street performance. haven't gotten into AX or things like that. I want something that will get out of it's own way and have no fear to drive it on 95 where people think that is the speed limit.
Borderline
I'm no expert but I have been learning a lot here.

The 2270 is a 96mm bore with a 78.4mm stroker crank. This size will probably need 44mm webers.

You've got to decide how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend...not always compatible.

According to Raby, you don't need a counterbalanced crank on the T4. The case is strong enough to handle the loads.

Good luck!
McMark
Don't port and polish most motors. Budget is probably going to be the biggest factor. IMHO, but the most expensive Jake kit that you can afford. wink.gif The kits make it sooooo easy.
Twystd1
I have to agree with McMark.

A Jake kit will give you the most performance and longevity you can buy.

His kits look expensive. In the end result. They are very fairly priced...
I know... hard to believe.

Slow down... Spend a month or so doing homework here and at www.shoptalkforums.com (Type4rum)

And learn about these great engines.

By the way... 180 HP very streetable engine is no problem.

It just ain't cheap...

So... Whats your budget for this..?????

That will have a great effect on your end result.

Cheers,

Clayton

So.Cal.914
I ported and polished my heads, did it help? Every little bit helps. I also have

a 71mm counterbalanced crank and the differance was noticable. It runs alot

smoother than it did without and on a four that is worth it. I balanced the rods and

pistons also and lightened the flywheel, lil puppy revs nice. But this all costs

a hell of alot I ran mine for 15 years with a stock crank, rods and heads and it

was fun just like that. A good cam, 2.0 crank & rods, 96's, good ignition and

fuel delivery system will make a world of differance. Head work will help even

more. IMHO
Jake Raby
Whats your goal??

A 2056 with one of my combos can net 115HP with stock injection, or up to 130 in street form with carbs or aftermarket EFI..

To **properly** build a 2270 the entire engine needs to be reconfigured including heads, rods, stroke, cam, oil system and etc. I can remove that guesswork for you- no sweat with one of my kits.

The kit includes EVERYTHING for a longblock assembly right down to the sealants and hardware. I just delivered 3 kits to customers, all 3 of them were absolutely amazed at what the kits included, they had no idea it was that comprehensive, even though I tried to tell them.

A kit is not really a kit, it's an unassembled engine that balanced, indicated and ready for clean up and assembly, prep work included.

Listen to the 12/29/06 4th Dimension Radio show for ALL the details of my engine program.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.