Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Went Karting for the first time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
I met up with teener owners Stu Long and Eric Valdaserra for a couple of sessions at the indoor kart track in Wallingford yesterday afternoon. Sorry we missed Ed Morrow who had family obligations.
The 4 fastest guys of the day were in our first heat, in fact the January FTD (so far) was set during that session. My first time at this and I was second onto the track. It wasn't long before I was passed and I did my best to keep up but wasn't ready to go flat out in the high speed turns yet. Each time one of the hot shoes got by me I took the opportunity to study his line through the next couple of corners until he moved out of sight. I got 11 laps in an 8 minute heat with my best being 40.1 sec and 2 other laps below 41 sec. The FTD lap was 36.95 sec.
The second session was a lot different for me. 15 karts and I was near the back. I ws being passed after a couple of laps, by the guys who were first out. But I was trying to make my way through the slower drivers ahead of me at the same time. After about 5 laps I found a clear track and got down to business applying what I learned in session 1, even though this kart was set up a bit looser than my previous ride. I managed to avoid the brake pedal before the sweepers, and kept the rear from sliding too much in the tight corners. The result was another half second off my best time, with the best driver in the sesson only being 1.7 sec faster than me. smile.gif driving.gif
Eric_Shea
Blast huh? wink.gif

Helps keep you fresh in the "off-season" as well. lol3.gif
BenNC
We have one in Raleigh that some friends and I hit pretty regularly. Its a blast, but man those things will beat you up. Eight minutes doesn't sound like long, but I'm usually ready to get out of the kart by then.

The track gets busy occasionally, but we usually try to bring along as many folks as we can to try to make sure they stay in business.

Fastest times on our track are in the low to mid 31's (by skinny teens who work at the track). I finally got my time into the 32's the other day. My first time out was a 36.5. I ran a 33.000 in April, but when it got warm and humid down here the karts lost a lot of power (relatively speaking). It was kind of frustrating that it took so long to drop the time.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 15 2007, 11:22 AM) *

Blast huh? wink.gif

Helps keep you fresh in the "off-season" as well. lol3.gif

Off season? I haven't been behind the wheel of a competition vehicle since Sept. '05 unsure.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(BenNC @ Jan 15 2007, 11:45 AM) *

Eight minutes doesn't sound like long, but I'm usually ready to get out of the kart by then.

My hands hurt so bad right after both sessons!

Fastest times on our track are in the low to mid 31's (by skinny teens who work at the track)...

Whats the penalty for being 230lb in one of those little things? blink.gif
That's gotta be worth more than a second from someone who weighs half that.
Aaron Cox
chris - its a blast dude!

local place by me has 24 hr kart races.... teams of 3 or 4 iirc....

that would be nutx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.