Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 rubber weatherstriping sources
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Solana-Bob
I am sure this has been gone over any number of times.
However I am trying to get my long term project on the road and have run into brick walls trying to replace the weatherstriping..
I have purchased from various vendors and mixed results...
Now I need to put the vent windows in and have found that the "repro" rubber seals that I was sold (who knows from where) are not even complete seals let alone exact reproductions.
So can someone recommend a good source for these and other seals that I need to finish my "teener"
Thanks in advance. dead horse.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Solana-Bob @ Jan 15 2007, 04:08 PM) *

I am sure this has been gone over any number of times.
However I am trying to get my long term project on the road and have run into brick walls trying to replace the weatherstriping..
I have purchased from various vendors and mixed results...
Now I need to put the vent windows in and have found that the "repro" rubber seals that I was sold (who knows from where) are not even complete seals let alone exact reproductions.
So can someone recommend a good source for these and other seals that I need to finish my "teener"
Thanks in advance. dead horse.gif

We do not know anyone but the factory who makes the vent glass seal as it is a molded piece and not an extruded piece. They are plentiful from Porsche for about 90 dollars each.
Solana-Bob
Thanks....
I wish whoever tried to make the ones I bought had been that honest.
90$ is not cheap but it becomes that way when you make a mistake.
One lesson learned is to not buy ahead.
I bought the bad pieces about 2 years before I went to use them.
Only then did I see what junk they were.
clap56.gif
r_towle
Hey George,

How about the side window rubber?
Specifically the pieces the run up the targa bar behind the window...
I need two.
Also two window scrapers, and window felts.
got some?

Rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 15 2007, 06:31 PM) *

Hey George,

I need two.
got some?

Rich

Hi Rich. The side seals are made as repros both for the roof and the front of the roll bar as well as the window scraper (squeege) pieces. the inner felts are available in original form in the aftermarket and finally the outer fuzzy strips are only available as genuine Porsche with a genuine Porsche price of just over 50 each!
r_towle
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 16 2007, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 15 2007, 06:31 PM) *

Hey George,

I need two.
got some?

Rich

Hi Rich. The side seals are made as repros both for the roof and the front of the roll bar as well as the window scraper (squeege) pieces. the inner felts are available in original form in the aftermarket and finally the outer fuzzy strips are only available as genuine Porsche with a genuine Porsche price of just over 50 each!

Repros are fine.
I need the two vertical ones on the roll bar, two window scrapers, and two inner felts.
I can go to the dealer nearby for the outer fuzzies.
Do you have those items listed above?

Rich
dinomium
if you are making a list Dr, I need two windshield to cowl seals (with the metal in them please) and two freakin windshield to targa seals!!!!!

thanks,
dflesburg
What many people need is the U shaped front targa seal
dflesburg
sorry double post drunk.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 16 2007, 10:38 AM) *

sorry double post drunk.gif

no worries, WE NEED THESE!
John
You must keep your eyes and sometimes wallet open at all times for bargain prices on 914 weatherstripping.

I just recieved my order for some seals (repros) from Tweeks (MidAmerica Motorworks) and they will work out just fine.

I bought a couple of the rear side window seals (mount on roll bar for the door glass). They had them for $3.99 each.

I had been holding off on them as they were so expensive, but Tweeks seems to be having a heck of a sale on them. They do need to be cut and are not completely exact, but for my car they are an improvement over the 30year old seals I had. I kept the old tops (45 degree angle) and will glue them to the tops of the new seals.

I figure I would share my source on these.

EDIT:
BTW, call them for the website advertised prices.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 16 2007, 10:38 AM) *

What many people need is the U shaped front targa seal

Almost finishe ALMOST (it has been way to long!)
GeorgeRud
Does anyone have available the late style roof/glass seals with the little extra rubber sealing pieces? I know the early style is widely available, but haven't seen the others advertised by anyone.
PRS914-6
After too many bad experiences with lousy fitting repro seals, I only buy OEM seals. I get a very good price at Sunset Imports (Porsche Dealer). Call 1-800-346-0182, ask for Porsche Parts. Ask for Jeff and tell him you want the same price as I get.

No affiliation, just a happy customer. Jeff is a very helpful guy.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 19 2007, 07:43 AM) *

After too many bad experiences with lousy fitting repro seals, I only buy OEM seals. I get a very good price at Sunset Imports (Porsche Dealer). Call 1-800-346-0182, ask for Porsche Parts. Ask for Jeff and tell him you want the same price as I get.

No affiliation, just a happy customer. Jeff is a very helpful guy.

For the concours restorer there is no substitute for the factory weatherstrip seals. However the factory molds are getting worse and the repro molds getting better (depending on what source you are using) The factory is also discontinuing the seals left and right, to where one HAS to depend on the repros (unfortunately or fortunately).
An example of inferior factory seals, is the discontinued windshield top seal: In the final years it was available, (914 563 039 10) it was made too short and would not seal correctly, even to the point of splitting when installing!
The after market seals provide a cheap alternative to the expensive factory parts and are good enough, in my opinon, for most driver applications.
cooltimes
I have a box of 914 body rubber weatherstrip seals I have never used and have been stored inside. The shipping date was 12/2000 from AA. I am not going to use them.
I am getting out of the 914 habit very soon. Too old, not agile enough to do the required mechanical things, everyone lives to far or are busy that I could get any help from and like many retired 914 owner's, I am too broke too.
Think I should let them go to someone wanting them? I am thinking at least $400 and he appears to be in doubt because of their origin? Sounds like biting nose to spite face but is there any info concerning that rubber in stock back then on the AA shelves and bins or an idea of their present worth?
I am sticking a photo of what I have in this post.

Administrator's may move this to classified but it is a genuine question to Dr. 914, a guru in these matters of being genuine or reproduction 914 parts.
With respect,
Cooley

Click to view attachment
r_towle
ill buy that
John
Now there is exactly what I'm talking about. You have to keep your eyes and sometimes wallet open at all times.

Good luck to you r_towle.

just my $0.02
Solana-Bob
Thank You Dr 914...
You gave me the straight scoop on the vent window weatherstriping.
I was able to pick up some OEM from the blowout at Tweeks.
They are just what I was looking for...
I will be placing an order for other parts at AA next week.
Thanks again for your help. boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.