Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show us your Cardex/COA!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
How many people have the cardex (Certificate of Authenticity) for your car... or a car you used to own? smile.gif

I'll start with one from the Bumblebee. I know that Jeff Bowlsby has a bunch of LE cardexes.
dagdal1967
Where does one get a "cardex" for their car...

I have the original bill of sale and window sticker.... Does that count?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 16 2007, 07:04 PM) *

How many people have the cardex (Certificate of Authenticity) for your car... or a car you used to own? smile.gif

I'll start with one from the Bumblebee. I know that Jeff Bowlsby has a bunch of LE cardexes.

dude,
its all starting to surface...no more autocrosses for you...your a closet CW...its true..admit it.

Rich
Rusty
Cardex's can be ordered from PCNA.

Their direct email is: COA@porschecars.com
ws91420
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Jan 16 2007, 09:40 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Your car orignally came from my stomping grounds.
Pat Garvey
FWIW, here's my COA.

Don't have the window sticker (though I'm the orig owner) because I lived in Kentucky at time of purchase. Ky took the window sticker to dtermine the tax I had to pay. Not that anyone discounted 914's in 1972, but Ky (as in KY!) charged sales tax based on the MSRP of the vehicle, no matter how much the dealer took off. That's why I bought my chrome wheels, Koni shocks, front stabilizer, Bursch exhaust & cocoa mats a week later - so I wouldn't be taxed for them. Buttholes!

BTW - Cardex & COA are not the same thing. Thought you should know.
Pat
Rusty
Uhh... I think that's a COA application.

On a slightly related note... since all that stuff is add-on after purchase, does that mean your car isn't stock? poke.gif
plymouth37
If I asked for a COA Porsche would probably shoot me.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 17 2007, 12:32 AM) *

Uhh... I think that's a COA application.

On a slightly related note... since all that stuff is add-on after purchase, does that mean your car isn't stock? poke.gif

Sorry, sent the wrong attachment with the first post - corrected.

Yep, you're right - those things were the musings of a 25 year old. Other than the rustproofing (which, in the 1972 manual, was ecouraged by the factory), those things are all LONG gone.

Have been bone stock since the 80's (this is starting to sound like an AA meeting).

Corrected COA attached after stupidity/Alzheimers subsided.
Rusty
Would you mind reposting the application for those at home? smile.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 17 2007, 12:46 AM) *

Would you mind reposting the application for those at home? smile.gif

No problem, though I think this thread would be better posted on the originality/history forum.
Pat
Martin Baker
My order has been placed for about a month, Ill post it here when it shows up. I have heard some unusual stories about these, like the color being completely off, etc. Hope I don't run into that deal.
Rusty
Hi Martin.

that's great!

I have two in the mail to me now... second printing, as the first printing had some rather obvious errors.

I was kind of tweaked about it at first, but no worries... it's not like I need them to drive the car. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The problem with these new certificates is that since all of the option codes have been reassigned and the person now doing the certificates does not know Porsches, strange options are being assigned 914s Like our 71 914 with the turbo package or our 71 with the california equipment or our 72 with the "russet" tires. It is really crazy. Only believe the window sticker not the newer (last four years) certificate
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 16 2007, 04:04 PM) *

for example this one: "U.S." equipement and sealed beams were never an option on the window sticker. U.S. cars were U S cars! and they all had sealed beams!
SGB
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 17 2007, 08:15 AM) *

our 72 with the "russet" tires. It is really crazy.

WHEEE! Potato rounds. biggrin.gif
type47
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Jan 16 2007, 06:40 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

WOW! HBL is the closest P-car dealer to me. i remember when they were in fairfax and mostly a vw dealer.
dagdal1967
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jan 16 2007, 06:54 PM) *

Your car orignally came from my stomping grounds.

And it lived there most of its life... I purchased it almost a year ago from the original owner's son. It was listed here on the board, and is a VERY VERY clean example!

Doug
jagalyn

Click to view attachment
Martin Baker
gregrobbins
I understand the transmission numbers were not recorded. You can get your build date from the plate in the front driver's door jam.
Martin Baker
type4org
As someone else already mentioned, the COAs you get nowadays are bound to have errors on them. Take a look at mine which I received just yesterday. The date at the bottom is wrong (2006 instead of 2007), and the total production count for the 1976 model year is misstated (must be 4100, it shows 14100).

Click to view attachment
Rusty
WOW! That's the nicest COA I've ever seen... with option numbers and everything. wub.gif

Now, why can't PCNA do things that way? sad.gif
type4org
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 20 2007, 07:25 AM) *

WOW! That's the nicest COA I've ever seen... with option numbers and everything. wub.gif

Now, why can't PCNA do things that way? sad.gif

This comes at a price, I'll now have to spend a long time telling them to fix the obvious glaring errors mad.gif

When I registered the car here in Germany I ordered a technical data sheet from them which contains data that is put into the registration document. I had to bitch and moan three times to get them to correct what they sent me.

- first attempt: the document contains data for a 1.8 engine

- second attempt: the document contains data for the GA engine instead of GC

- third attempt: engine output is corrected, but top speed still matches the GA and not the GC.

At that point I just gave up and asked on a German 914 forum for copies of registrations from people who have a '76 with the GC engine. That was good enough for the technical inspector, but it really ticks me off that I had to pay EUR 116 (about $150) for that Porsche data sheet. Those are done by the very same people who do COAs, so I knew not to expect a lot from the COA...
Rusty
Jens,

Your experience mirrors mine.

COAs in the US are over 100 dollars now. I ordered two back in August. They were backordered, and finally shipped with some rather glaring errors. I requested them to be fixed, I'm still waiting. I talked to a nice lady who is a supervisor with Porsche's contractor who types these up. Hopefully, they'll be enroute soon.

I'm fascinated by the option codes. idea.gif In my opinion, that is VERY cool.

Do you have a link to the forum that you used?
type4org
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 20 2007, 07:45 AM) *

Do you have a link to the forum that you used?

Sure:

http://www.pff-online.de/wbb2/board.php?boardid=20

Rusty
Sweet! smilie_flagge6.gif

Now I just need to learn German! chairfall.gif
type4org
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 20 2007, 07:56 AM) *

Sweet! smilie_flagge6.gif

Now I just need to learn German! chairfall.gif

Before you get all excited, I still think this forum is better for the quantity and quality of postings...

Rusty
This is my home... but it's still nice to visit other places. smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 20 2007, 04:09 AM) *

As someone else already mentioned, the COAs you get nowadays are bound to have errors on them. Take a look at mine which I received just yesterday. The date at the bottom is wrong (2006 instead of 2007), and the total production count for the 1976 model year is misstated (must be 4100, it shows 14100).

Click to view attachment

Notice how the m-471 option has been recycled !!! No longer is it a car with flares and alloy wheels flared rockers 21mm wheel spacers and flared front valance, but rather mahle wheels sway bars and limited edition spoiler!!!!!! No wonder mistakes are being make in these kardexes
type4org
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 20 2007, 10:25 AM) *

Notice how the m-471 option has been recycled !!! No longer is it a car with flares and alloy wheels flared rockers 21mm wheel spacers and flared front valance, but rather mahle wheels sway bars and limited edition spoiler!!!!!! No wonder mistakes are being make in these kardexes

I highly doubt the problems arose from M codes that have been re-used over the years or that consist of different items. The errors that I have been seeing are just lack of attention when the COA is prepared. It looks like a rush job. The fact that those guys probably don't know the history themselves but read up on things as they go increases the chance for misstatements like the 14100 cars produced in 1976.

914werke
So explain to me what is the diff between a "cardex" and a COA?

My COA aquired mabye 4 yrs ago is almost identical to Jeffs in the first post
just for a Creamcicle.
Rusty
Same thing, Rich. The terms are interchangeable. But I've never seen the "technical sheet" that Jens was talking about. Maybe he'll scan it for us? smile.gif
type4org
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 20 2007, 12:51 PM) *

Same thing, Rich. The terms are interchangeable. But I've never seen the "technical sheet" that Jens was talking about. Maybe he'll scan it for us? smile.gif

Sure... So the definite wrong item on here is the 190 kph top speed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

davep
The Cardex is the factory records on the cars. I think originally it was on file cards in the 356 era. What they work from now is a computer printout. The COA is the certificate that is prepared and sent to you. The factory printout has to be translated from the factory codes into the listed options. Jens COA show the M options as they would be coded on the printout, and has the translation as well. I am amazed at all the errors in those documents. Obviously the people doing the job are careless.
TJB/914
My cardex on my 1974 4-cyl Note: Everything's still on my car. biggrin.gif

T
Martin Baker
dagdal1967
So is there a benefit to having the cardex, apart from personal satisfaction?
type4org
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Jan 25 2007, 09:37 AM) *

So is there a benefit to having the cardex, apart from personal satisfaction?

It can help prove the original condition of the car, and by that be a sales and value estimation help. If you don't care about original condition then none of this might matter to you.

JeffBowlsby
Jens...

I dont speak German, but is there some way I can get a Cardex and Tech Data sheet for my US 914s? I am anxious to see what they might have on record for the LE cars. Can I contact them directly or can you facilitate?
type4org
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 25 2007, 03:08 PM) *

Jens...

I dont speak German, but is there some way I can get a Cardex and Tech Data sheet for my US 914s? I am anxious to see what they might have on record for the LE cars. Can I contact them directly or can you facilitate?

Moving this to email...

sean_v8_914
if I dont have one, does this mean that my 914 could be a made in China fake?
dagdal1967
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jan 25 2007, 12:49 PM) *

if I dont have one, does this mean that my 914 could be a made in China fake?

Turn it up side down and look for the little [Made in China] sticker.

:-)
Rusty
Check the Concour Wee... uhh... Originality and Restoration Forum. They'll know alllll about that sticker. biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
OK, as far as I'm concerned, the window sticker tells the tale. Lots of you guys have these, but I don't.

In '72, when I bought my 914 from a Cincinnati dealer, the Kentucky pot-bellied, donut sucking, cigarette-breathed morons took my sticker from me so they could assess my due tax. Bastards kept it (guess they didn't have copiers in those days) and I want it back. And I want it NOW.

So, rant over, do any of you Kentucky nonmebers know if it's possible to get these things back? after 35 years? Do I need to bring donuts? Do I need to bring button expanders for the pot bellies?

I want it back!!!!!
Rusty
I received this in the mail today... 1 down, 1 to go.

I requested they specify the wheel option and send a corrected version. We'll see how they react.
John
I think I'll just take one of the ones posted and Photoshop it up to show that mine is all stock ad original. 3.2 and all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.