Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vdo head temp gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
i want to put a head temp guage in the console....
jsut wondering where does one mount the temp sending unit??
and which head runs the hottest....
ptravnic
#3 cylinder runs the hottest (from what I've read).
BigDBass
popcorn[1].gif At some point, I'd like to swap the brake warning light in my combo gauge out for oil temp, then CHT into the center console.
pete-stevers
my original plan was to use a triple 904 guage...
but i have revised to just using the 911 oil gauge as is
and run my gas , head and alt on the console....
i need spacers for the smaller gauges in the center console....
Grelber
I'm in the middle of putting extra gauges into my center console (CHT and oil pressure). Just cut a piece of HDF wood the same size as the original, a hole saw for holes to put the gayges thru, and about $2.00 worth of black leather-look vinyl from the fabric store. I've seen 5 staggered in it, and they fit fine. Doing it all for under $5.00 (less gauges).
BenNC
Why choose? I picked up a switch at Radio Shack and put a sensor on each head, so I can just switch back and forth.

When I put everything back together, I'll fix it so that the switch is pointing at the head that is being monitored. Oops
Rand
Yes, sender under #3 sparkplug. I think it's super cool to have a switched setup with multiple senders, but your important temp figure is the hottest one. So use #3 until you go multiple.

I just replaced the clock in my center console. My VDO gauge was a little smaller in diameter than the stock gauges/clock, so I used a piece of ABS plastic pipe to make a sleeve. The dimensions were perfect.
pete-stevers
perfect....that should have been a question as well!!!
the adapter kits are no longer available...
pete-stevers
what is the hottest cylinder head on a six
pete-stevers
i am still wondering which cylinder on a six runs hottest
and where does one mount the sensor, is it just a standard vdo sensor?
John
Pete, On those CHT gauges, the sensor simply mounts under a spark plug.

I don't know which cylinder is hottest on a 911 engine. I'm still waiting for someone to answer that one.
bperry
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jan 20 2007, 07:57 PM) *

perfect....that should have been a question as well!!!
the adapter kits are no longer available...

By adapter kit are you refering to these VDO adapter rings?
I bought these years ago. They slip over the gauge and
adapt the smaller gauges to the older larger gauge holes.
They work great in the console.

--- bill
Joe Bob
The cylinder in the middle runs the hottest......the rings are called "reducers" and are still available from VDO.
jr91472
Can someone please direct me where to find the sending unit for CHT guage? I am not sure why I can't find em confused24.gif
bperry
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Jan 22 2007, 08:01 AM) *

Can someone please direct me where to find the sending unit for CHT guage? I am not sure why I can't find em confused24.gif

Look here: CB Performance

Its only $10.

You may want to call, there used to be two versions of the sender.
I think they were the same but with different diameter holes.

--- bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.