Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Girl needs help tuning a 1.8 in California
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davep
Rusti lives at an altitude of 3500 in the mountains above Palm Springs, CA. She is exactly 10 miles from Banning and 16 miles from Idyllwild, the Poppet Flats area.

She has a problem keeping the 1.8 running on its original FI. At that altitude I think she needs a visit from someone local, and familiar with the AFC system. She is pretty good mechanically, but stumped on this one.

I can provide an email addy to those able to help.
Carlitos Way
If she can make it to Slits, that might be her best bet...
Crazyhippy
Bad Carlos... sending an un-armed girl to see slits....

Even if he can fix it... Poor girl...

BJH
davep
I'm strongly suggesting that someone visit her. Car does not run or run well enough to go a distance. Engine needs to be tuned for her altitude also.
KaptKaos
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

OF THE CAR!!

You people make me sick. Geez....

Send young Aaron up the hill. biggrin.gif
Crazyhippy
Then she'll end up w/ poorly tuned carbs, and crabs....

Still think Slits is the man here.... And the altitude diff shouldn't be that big, the So-cal cars w/ working FI in Moab ran fine. (the carbed cars though.... they were a bit rich)

BJH
Dr Evil
Did she check the oil cap seal? I know that causes problems. I know very little about L-Jet, but it has an air flow sensor so altitude should not be an issue, right? confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
Check the engine for vacuum leaks. Check the Oil Cap Seals.. this is essential. And make sure some moron hasn't tampered with the air flow meter.

Other than that, it should work great at any altitude.
davep
Yes, I mentioned the oil filler cap O-rings, they are infamous. Also all rubber fittings and every tube. That engine has to be buttoned up tight. I also suggested checking the fuel system for blockage from the sock in the tank to the injectors.
She claims to be very good at keeping it running for many years. Just recent problems. She is on her own as far as expertise is concerned, that is why I posted this to find someone else in her area.
SLITS
drooley.gif
Gint
I live at 5k feet. If a FI car runs like crap at 3500 feet, it has nothing to do with the altitude, it just plain runs like crap.
rick 918-S
Does she have AAA? ship it to Slits! thumb3d.gif And mail her some dirty old man repellent av-943.gif
914nerd
I'm at about 7000 feet and I tend to go higher on occasion
smoke.gif

Wait, not that way
but anyways, I have a FI L-jet and it runs very well up here, so I can't see why such a low altitude would be causing problems
It is likely either a vacuum leak or a problem with the brain if I had to make a guess
Brando
I agree... time to check all the rubber lines on the engine and the oil filler cap seal.

If she's still got injection on there, altitude shouldn't effect her driveability.

Have her ship it to Slits' and maybe a few of us can do some parts replacing.
davep
Slits is on the case, lets give him time to report back.
SLITS
Rusti sent me an email. Claimed she couldn't use my services because she had been warned that I was a dirty old lecher. Thanks guys.

No, she said the info she has gotten was good advice and she wants to give it a go being a stubborn female who refuses to give up. She'll call or as she said "scream" if it still doesn't work.

I also invited her to look at World & Narp so she could meet some loonies and young lechers.
Dr Evil
If we are gonna send SLITS out to be our ambassador we are going to have to get him fixed happy11.gif
Joe Bob
I can take him to the same place where my Doxies got "tutored".....

BTW, the beauty of FI is that it doesn't matter WHAT the altitude is......I love the look and sound of carbs but after having FI on the sixes.....it's pretty idjut proof. It runs or it doesn't....no in between.
SLITS
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 22 2007, 07:49 PM) *

If we are gonna send SLITS out to be our ambassador we are going to have to get him fixed happy11.gif

You are way so late .... I had decided that I had produced sufficient brilliant offspring to rule the World (pun intended) that I already had that done.
rhodyguy
after all the hoses and what not, there is a large plastic seal/gasket where the intake hose meets the plenum. easy to examine. if it's in shambles the AFS will not read correctly. injector seals, even that stupid little cork gasket under the oil fill tower.

k
gopack
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 23 2007, 08:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 22 2007, 07:49 PM) *

You are way so late .... I had decided that I had produced sufficient brilliant offspring to rule the World (pun intended) that I already had that done.

UMMMM...... I think he meant neutered!
Eric_Shea
I had decided that I had produced sufficient brilliant offspring to rule the World

ohmy.gif That means he's already procreated!! ohmy.gif
sean_v8_914
tell her to use a can of starting fluid spray or carb cleaner. get it to idle and with the straw attached, aim at each hose junction. wait and listen for change in eng speed. if it changes when sprayed, its leaking

its hard to suggest action with so little info. does it run at all? will it idle? get her on here to describe sympoms. I can fix anything (except Ron and Aaroon)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.