Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sound proofing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
jsut wondering
i put dynamat on the interior side of the fire wall on harlot..it deadens the sound...but not enuf
would putting a double window in work....completely sealed all the way around but two mils apart???
any other ideas
how bout sound adhesive on the engine side
any other materials that might work better....
dflesburg
dynamat on firewall, underside of carpet, floor board area, inside door panels, engine bay side of firewall (engine bay dynamat)

300 watt amp

extra speakers

I don't know the results yet but will soon...

(almost there, Almost There, ALMOST THERE!!!!)
pete-stevers
did you dynamat the lower portion of the engine compartment?
banger
You can also add wool carpet padding, and dynamat the targa top, add wool padding there as well, then add a foam backed fabric headliner. Also make sure you have a rain tray, since this will cut down the noise. There is a guy on ebay that makes custom sound padding for the porsche engine compartments. He can make them for the 914 as well. He goes by APPBIZ on ebay. I would dynamat the engine compartment, then add his pad over the dynamat, then it should be pretty quiet.
craig downs
I'm going to use Quiet Car its a spray on sound deadiner. Their web site is
wwwquietcar.com with some good imformation
Crazyhippy
Earplugs??
Hammy
I know sound padding on the engine bay side of the firewall will reduce noise more than on the interior side. If you do put any sound padding on the engine side, make sure it's easy to access and/or remove for routine cleaning behind it. Or else your firewall is prone to rust easily.
brer
Quiet car is the same as QuietKote... which is available as an industrial item for less money. We use it, and I have used it in my Subaru with excellent result.

Water based, spray on several coats, and it can then be painted over with automotive paints. you can brush it on if you dont mind the messy texture.

smile.gif
Heeltoe914
I used Dynamat on floors, inside Longs, firewall, inside cabin, inside doors and on the eng lid. Works very well no earplugs needed.
brer
find anything at pomona leamon?
IronHillRestorations
I've been using B-Quiet's "Brown Bread" sound mat, which is very comperable to Dynamat and much less. Here's a pic of a job I used it on. I've got plenty on hand if you are interested, pm me.
Hammy
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 21 2007, 10:40 AM) *

I've been using B-Quiet's "Brown Bread" sound mat, which is very comperable to Dynamat and much less. Here's a pic of a job I used it on. I've got plenty on hand if you are interested, pm me.

How much of a difference did you notice?
anthony
I've also heard good things about Brown Bread and it's price relative to dynamat.

http://www.b-quiet.com/

FWIW, there are two ways to sound deaden. One is to block vibration and one is to block sound. The highest level of sound absorption is achieved with both methods. For example, first use the Brown Bread stuff or equivalent dynamat on the metal panels. That stuff blocks vibration. Then do a layer of B-quiets Vcomp or a similar product. Actually, the stock backpad blocks a lot of sound.

Also, use a stock air filter and stockish exhaust if you want a quiet 914.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jan 21 2007, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 21 2007, 10:40 AM) *

How much of a difference did you notice?

I think it helped. It's not my car though, so it's hard for me to say. Personally, I think it's not a bad idea for a custom car, I wouldn't use this exact product on a concours resto because of the shiney foil, but functionally it works as well as most other adhesive bituminous mat products.
drive-ability
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jan 20 2007, 06:20 PM) *

Earplugs??

The only thing that works!!!! agree.gif

Dual pane rear glass chair.gif
John
Ear plugs.
SLKWrx
There is another company out there for sound deadening that I have been faithful toward for a long time. www.raamaudio.com His Raammat product is very impressive and cheaper than a lot of the competition. Also Rick takes great pride in his work. I have completely done 3 cars in raammat with great success.

Just another option to put out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.