Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assembly line markings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
scotty b
I was dissasembling and cleaning some CV's/axles to powder coat and rebuild and thought of you guys when I saw these paint markings. biggrin.gif I also dug up another set to see if this was a fluke, see for yourselves. The first two are from a 73 1.7, no gaurantee BOTH are original to that car, thus the possible reason for the diffe rent colors. The one on the right is very faint but is DEFFINITLY a white paint mark.
scotty b
The white one also had these two yellow spots on the shaft. However NONE of the other three had these marks
scotty b
These two both came off of a 74 with 53,000 original miles so I am fairly certain they are the originals to that car. Againnthe white is hard to see but I am positive they are indeed white paint marks. The interesting thins is that the white marks almost look likt a letter, but the blue mark is simply a dot. Sorry for the lousy pic sad.gif
Pat Garvey
Oh good - another mystery paint marking!

Somehow, we've got to find some old timer who worked on the line, so we can find out what these markings meant. Are they worth reproducing?

I think the engine tin markings are because they are readily visible. But we still need to know what they mean.

For these axle markings, could they be so simple as to indictae right or left?

Pat
911quest
[Its probably to show the next person on the line that axles have been tightend
scotty b
agree.gif For the most part (pretty much always) paint markings were applied by the people werking the assembly line to denote the proper werk had been done. If you look at the Barret Jackson type restorations, those guys ALWAYS want those markings reproduced for "authenticity" I believe the colors were also specific to each person, Bill's marks were blue, Joe's marks were white etc. that way any issues could be traced back to the specific werker.
911quest
A funny story I read in some book magazine who knows but anyway they said that most of the prototype cars panels were so far off they didn't know if the guy on the left actually talked to the guy on the right
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.