Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/c Repair ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrhurtalot
I know i know blah blah pop the top yatta yatta....

oklahoma GETS HOT 100 percent FLAT hell, the wind is even hot.

i got the neato A/c in my teener, i want to repair it.

but i dont even know whats wrong with it, since it wont turn on at all.

knobs none responsive.

anyone got an FAQ or a thread to point me to? pics very much appreciated driving.gif
904svo
Which system do you have?
VPC or DPD
I have the wiring digrams for both. Let me know.
904svo
VPC

Click to view attachment

DPD
Click to view attachment

Hope this helps you.

scotty b
1- check to make certain you have a charged system
2- if you do indeed have a charged system find out if it is FULLY charged, if the system is low enough the compressor will not kick in
3- if you have a good charge check to see that you have voltage going into the clutch on the compressor when you engage the switch
4- if you have NO voltage at the compressor wire, check for voltage at the switch.If you have voltage at the switch and not the compressor there is a break inbetween.
5- Give up and find a wiring schematic to see what relays may be involved
6- get really pissed
7- get REALLY pissed (the English version) beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
8- take it to an A.C. repair shop

Good luck poke.gif
scotty b
And there is your schematic.

Now get PISSED beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif
ClayPerrine
Actually, Scotty... the VPC and the DPD systems used in the 914s don't have a low pressure cutoff switch. The compressor will come on even if the system has an open hose.

I can help you fix the AC. I am in Fort Worth.. which is not too far from OK.

mrhurtalot
i used to go to FW when i was younger. my mom grew up in waco, i think.

i wont ask you to go out of your way. but if you ever are in the area...

gimme a call. ill PM you my cell and stuff.
mrhurtalot
hmm also. on those diagrams... the one yousaid was DPD has "VPC" written on it...?
mrhurtalot
ah triple post....

btw. how do i know which i have?

74 2.0 914-4
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Jan 21 2007, 02:53 AM) *

ah triple post....

btw. how do i know which i have?

74 2.0 914-4

The simplest way is to look in the front trunk. The VPC will have a square metal box for the condenser, the DPD will have a plastic cone shaped top to the condenser.

Also, the DPD unit has a circular badge in the middle of it with "DPD" in the center.

MBowman325
Hey Clay,

Just as a note, If y'all are ever up here, I've got a spare bedroom that's open and I'd give preferential garage space to prettier cars than mine. (If necessary, but always available)

Say, how long until this white stuff goes away and I don't have to worry about salt... I wanna drive my 914 again. Feel bad enough looking at my Monte with it covered in salt...

(Sorry for the hijack)
ClayPerrine
I assume Yukon, Ok. is close to OKC?

It could be a weekend trip, after the weather clears!
MBowman325
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 21 2007, 09:35 AM) *

I assume Yukon, Ok. is close to OKC?

Yep, just a few minute jaunt from I44. Not positive of the timeframe I35, but I'd guess less than 30 minutes. (It's about 10 miles west on I-40 from I-44)

Thankfully the weather wasn't near as bad this weekend as some were saying it would be. Still can't get over the fact that Albertsons sold generators last weekend and has a waiting list...
mrhurtalot
10th street literally is half yukon half OKC.

heres a map. biggrin.gif
mrhurtalot
oh and is this what you were talking about?

its a big metal box. donno wtf up with the carpet. came from the PO.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ClayPerrine
That is definitely a VPC system. I would look into replacing all the hoses and the compressor with a new, rotary style one. It will eat less HP if you do.

mrhurtalot
sources? haha. sorry im being so helpless i just woke up and its 11 pm and i was sleeping on the couch? i guess zelda on the wii got the best of me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.