Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "New" or old?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
I've just started looking to buy my fourth 914. Currently have not owned one since 2000 when I sold my 76 2.0 liter.

I've come across a few low mileage cars in the under 25K mile range in the $15K and over range and other high mileage cars in the $15K and under range. The low mileage cars are, of course, less likely to be repainted or have the interiors redone, etc. And high mileage cars have long lists of mods including engine rebuilds, brake proportioning valves, synchros, repaints, etc.

So the questions:
Do these low mileage cars have soon-to-be rotted seals, rusting mufflers, spongy brake lines and a whole list of future problems that need to be dealt with? Or is it like buying as close to a brand new 914 as one can get?

Or are the "redone" high mileage cars the way to go? Everything that is likely to go bad purely because of age has already been taken care of. For instance, I saw a listing on a car with 18K miles that needed an engine rebuild (hmm, maybe 118K miles!). I just cleared out my 30 year old stereo stuff on eBay because I finally realized if you're not spinning records every once in a while, you have a nonfunctioning turntable on your hands. Looks great, but doesn't work. I would assume some of this applies to cars...

I appreciate any help. I hope to be a "driving" member of the 914world soon!

biz
GeorgeRud
You're on the right track, low mileage cars of this vintage usually will have dried out seals, etc. If it has been properly maintained and parts replaced with wear, I wouldn't be scared off by a high mileage car.

Look for the most rustfree car you can find, the rest is easily repaired or freshened.
anthony
Low mileage doesn't mean much. Condition depends more on how the car was cared for and stored. My 914 with 160K miles on it, looks better than 99% of 914s out there because it's been garage queen all its life in California.

To me it sounds like you want a recently restored car. I'd want to see before and after pics to know how invasive the restoration was.
orthobiz
I will be buying from afar (I live in Michigan) and wonder if anyone has advice (or an old thread) about getting a car off the web, whether it be eBay or Samba or PCA, etc.

Is it possible to buy a solid car without ever seeing it? Maybe a local Porsche dealer could check the car out, but I remember when I owned my 914s the dealer was the LAST place you'd ever want to fix your car. Unless, of course, you wanted a new FI "brain" when all it needed was a pencil eraser to the trigger point contacts!

Maybe there's a preferred repair shop list on this site?

Thanks again,

biz

Grelber
Most members here will do a PPI for you. With all the experience there is on the board, you'll get a good idea of the car's condition.
JPB
Newer the parts better the car. Look for good rubber since that stuff is NLA. popcorn[1].gif
Porsche Rescue
If I were going to spend $15,000 or more, I would buy a low mile original car. A car is only original once and will always be more valuable than a restored car in equal condition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.