Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxsters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
What is the weight of the Porsche Boxster in comparison to the 914 and what size engines were available in them? Were there any quirks about the car that a person looking to buy one should be aware of?
roadster fan
Up to 99 they were offered with 2.5's and 2.7's with 5 speed manual or tiptronic automatics. In 2000 they began offering the S model with a 3.2 with a 6 speed manual that made 250ish HP (with a top speed in the 155 range IIRC).

I drove a 2.7 a couple of years ago and it was nice. I think the Boxsters weigh in the neighborhood of about 3500 pounds but you should be able to do a quick google search and find specs.

hope this helps, I am sure others will chime in with more info.

Jim
boxstr
I have a 99 Boxster. The motor had 18k one owner car. Engine went tits up. New motor from PORSCHE.
There was a known problem, machining at the engine build facility was off. So PORSCHE replaced alot of motors.
If you are buying one ask for documentation for motor replacement. Also the later year I believe 2001 they went with a glass rear window in the soft top. Huge improvement. It can be found in an aftermarket top by HAHN.
Market is soft on the 986. I have seen them for $12,000 running driving car, high miles but still a driver.
Due diligence is the buyers best friend.
CCLINCAMP986
roadster fan
The rear main seal was a problem in these cars along with the 996. If the seal wasn't leaking by about 35K miles then they didnt develop leaks typically. The number of owners reporting this problem seemed rather high, but it is hard to determine how wide spread it actually was.

Porsche apparently has a go/no-go fixture for determining if a replacement seal with fix the issue. Also they install the new redesigned seal at a different depth to help eliminate the issue if I remember correctly. hope this helps.

Jim
DanT
2.5L 97-99, 2.7 and 3.2S in 2000, glass rear window in 2003
2007 S model will have the 3.4L from the Cayman

2.5L 201HP

the 2.7 increased in HP from 217 up to 240. the 3.2 from 250 to 265 IIRC
the RMS issue seemed to happen more to the S motors.

early case problems were from casting porosity.

I have a 99 with 48K miles and have absolutely no issues mechanical or otherwise.
the market is soft so you can find some very nice 97-99 with lower mileage for very good prices.

nice car,,,,the great grandson of the 914. weight is about 2800#s for a base 2.5 they get heavier the newer they get. happy11.gif
Rough_Rider
Funny you mention this i was running some calculations yesterday...

A stock 2.5 l pumps out 201hp @ 2800lbs = 159.55bhp/ton
While my 2.2l motor runs circa 125hp @ 1900lbs = 147bhp/ton

So even with the greater weight there's an advantage. Suspension & brake mods can be done for approx the same price as a 14, I think i'll be keeping an eye out for something interesting!!

BTW here's a fun bhp/ton calculator http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp
Jake Raby
Myself and LN Engineering are teaming up to begin a very serious bit of engine development for the Boxster engines, especially the 2.5 and 2.7 units.

I'll be halting aircooled developments for about a year as soon as we finish the roller cam and new cylinder head projects.. We are so far ahead of schedule for aircooled engine developments that it'll take 5 years for anyone to catch up!

At present no one has made a serious effort with internal mods, head work, truly developed exhausts and etc for the Boxster engine...

Thats about to change, my new lab was constructed primarily to support watercooled Porsche engine development...

Soon a "crate" performance engine will exist for the Boxster, and it'll be done right backed up with a ton of test work, just like my aircooled engine program..

This is already underway.. Buy your Boxster now, the 2.5s are about to get a serious BOOST!

Don't worry- all the funds this will generate will go right into aircooled engine developments...
Aaron Cox
jake has been drinking chairfall.gif

Crazyhippy
Radiators are evil MmmmKay....
anthony
I've ridden in a Boxster at an AX. My impression was good acceleration (little better than my SC), and fantastic breaking compared to my stock 911SC. I think the Boxster has better gearing for it's engine than my SC. The 1st to 2nd shift in the SC is slow and long. Boxsters are probably dancing between 2nd and 3rd on the same course where I stay in 2nd. Also, the Boxster could go way deeper into corners than my SC with it's breaking system.

With a 700 pound weigh advantage but a 30hp+ disadvantage I often beat lots of stockish Boxsters in my SC but I can't catch the best drivers but I'm usually really close to their times.

Jake Raby
I still hate radiators... Always will.

There are times when those of us in business do things pretty much only for cash flow enhancement... This is one of those times.

I spent over 80K last year developing aircooled engines and parts, to continue this we need to keep generating funds foot the bill...

We chose the Boxster because it was uncharted territory, as unknown as the TIV was when we began working with them, as well as the fact that the earlier cars are now approaching the age that the owners are willing to do some tweaking to them, especially those with high mileage..
Rusty
Oh my... I wonder if someone hacked Jake's account. chairfall.gif
r_towle
GH from AA made an interesting point about boxter computers (I think)
They are mounted under the seat, get wet and the parts are porsche only...I might have been confused with the 944...
In any event, neither car has a great aftermarket, both need more development....

Good luck Jake!!!!!

Rich
PinetreePorsche
Jake--OK, keep on the cams, (maybe the elephant feet, too) and the heads, but what about the turbo efforts--some of us are hanging by our nails waiting to see what you come up with. In print on this site you talked about low boost for long life, maybe 300+ hp, and in the $7000 range. Is this going to be put on the back burner? What's up w/the project.
boxstr
Yank that 2.5 and throw a Subie at it, or a SBC.
CCLINCAMP986
Jake Raby
The efforts we are currently focused on are based with head work primarily as well as working with a way to decrease the difficulty of assembling the engine while adding a bigger bore.

Camshaft work will come a tad later in development.. At this point we don't believe that it's going to be hard at all to manipulate the power we want from these engines.

Boosted engines will also come later on as well, if things explode with this development a lot of things might change..
ArtechnikA
You can get a 3,8 from Ruf; bring money.
Jake Raby
3.8+ is the direction we are heading with some drastic mods..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.