Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car shudders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
banger
I need an expert to help me out here. Somewimes while diving, the car seems to shudder side to side. Also most like really heavy wind buffeting, except I am not behind anyone. It also seems to do it after hitting a bump, that it will shudder for a little while and be fine. So far I have not found the problem. The car has new tires with less than 500 miles on them. I have replaced the front ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rod ends. Any suggestions what to check next?
r_towle
rear trailing arm bushings
ws91420
Is it a floaty feeling? that could be bad struts/shocks.
banger
Doesnt seem very floaty. But if I grab the top of the wheel and shake the car, I can feel a clunking. What would the most likely cause be? Strut bushing? Strut? or A-arm bushings?
ws91420
QUOTE(banger @ Jan 21 2007, 09:21 PM) *

Doesnt seem very floaty. But if I grab the top of the wheel and shake the car, I can feel a clunking. What would the most likely cause be? Strut bushing? Strut? or A-arm bushings?

Sound from the front end? I wpuld look at all you stated and see what condition th e bushings are in. When I pulled out the strut cartridges they just collapsed.
brp914
do you have the early style struts with the pinch bolts for the ball joints? sometimes they wallow out so the balljoint won't fit snugly anymore.

can you tell if the problem is from the front or rear?
banger
Hard to say if it is front or read. I can feel the front clunking when I shake the front end hard, but while driving it feels more like the back end is shaking. I guess I will replace all the bushings and see if that cures it.
banger
It does have the pinck bolts for the ball joints, and they fit pretty tight. It was a bitch to get the old ball joints off, and the new ones on.
Twystd1
Banger:

"Any suggestions what to check next?"

Yes, I have a great suggestion... Check out the nut behind the wheel.

Cause you shouldn't be driving that car ANYWHERE till you find out exactly whats wrong.

If something breaks...... Ya just night hurt somebody else besides YOU...

The other suggestion is to get VERY familiar with a 914 manual that shows you how the suspension works.

And keeo asking questions here on what to look for..

By da way.... here do you live?

Maybe some of us live close and can help you....

Clayton
r_towle
jack up each corner of the car, one at a time, till the tire is off the ground.

shake top to bottom and side to side, looking for the clunk.

In the rear, spin the wheel and listen to the bearing.
Move the rear of the wheel toward the inside of the car and back out again to check the bushings.

Do all four wheels.

Rich
banger
The shuddering isnt too major, mainly I notice it in the rear view mirror, and it seems mainly to happen at 50 mph. I am in Santa Clarita, so not too far away from Twystd1. I ordered new bushings for the front and rear arms, and new strut bushings. So hopefully that will take car of most everything. Next on the list would be rear wheel bearings.
brp914
I'm in santa clarita. there are a few others around here, too. perhaps I can help take a look. I'm not sure I would undertake all that work w/o really identifying the root cause. those aftermarket bushings...well it's best to get the most of what the factory gave ya.
Rusty
QUOTE(banger @ Jan 21 2007, 10:12 PM) *

The shuddering isnt too major, mainly I notice it in the rear view mirror, and it seems mainly to happen at 50 mph. I am in Santa Clarita, so not too far away from Twystd1. I ordered new bushings for the front and rear arms, and new strut bushings. So hopefully that will take car of most everything. Next on the list would be rear wheel bearings.

A shudder that happens at a specific speed sounds more like a tire/wheel balancing issue to me.

Of course... lt's always good to give your suspension a thorough inspection once or twice a year. These cars aren't getting any younger.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 22 2007, 02:37 AM) *

QUOTE(banger @ Jan 21 2007, 10:12 PM) *

A shudder that happens at a specific speed sounds more like a tire/wheel balancing issue to me.

Of course... lt's always good to give your suspension a thorough inspection once or twice a year. These cars aren't getting any younger.

agree.gif
degreeoff
I had a "clunk noise" too...I had replaced ALL the stuff in the front i MEAN ALL OF IT! turned out to be a ball joint....not tight enough....also the wheel bearings...did they sit well? I would readjust those again if they are loose the wheel will slide in and out giving a wishy washy feel.
banger
I replaced the strut bushings today. Looks like that was one fo the problems. On one side the nut on the top of the strut wasnt too tight. The other side was pretty tight. The bushings looked ok, but replaced them anyways. The struts on both sides need another turn to get them screwed in all the way. Now the front end feels much tighter. One of the sway bar bushing was missing in the rear, so I replaced all those as well. Now I just have to replace all the arm bushings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.