Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can tire stems be changed w/o dismounting tire?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
when i got new tires they put in those stems with the chrome cover things on them.

they did it last time too, but i was able to pull them off, this time i cant. they must have improved their glue... dry.gif

i dont want the chrome things on there with wurth silver wheels.

can i get them changed without the tire coming off or do i need to have them change them out before i touch-up the paint they mauled?

thanks
-jim
messix
yes you can. you would need the tool used to pull the stem out of the wheel then with all the air out you would have to break the bead lose from the rim so that you could put the new one in from the inside of the rim. we do this on our wheeling rigs when a stem gets sheared off on rocks and such.
Twystd1
The tool..

Cost 7.00 bucks here.

Stem tool

C
shaggy
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 21 2007, 08:47 PM) *

we do this on our wheeling rigs when a stem gets sheared off on rocks and such.

what do you do to cause a stem to be sheared by a rock?
and when you do it whats it like?
ever damage a rim?

thanks for all the help!
painting tomorrow assuming it dosent rain more and warms up a little!
-jim
ws91420
If you are careful you can pull them in with a set of dikes. Have the bead broken near the valve stem and you can use the dikes or a razor blade to cut the base off. Just catch it so it doesn't roll around in the tire till the next time you change tires.
messix
QUOTE(shaggy @ Jan 21 2007, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Jan 21 2007, 08:47 PM) *

we do this on our wheeling rigs when a stem gets sheared off on rocks and such.

what do you do to cause a stem to be sheared by a rock?
and when you do it whats it like?
ever damage a rim?

thanks for all the help!
painting tomorrow assuming it dosent rain more and warms up a little!
-jim

have you ever seen on tv the rock crawl events? or some of the fourwheeling tv programs on spike tv? well thats how we do it. roots or rock edges get in to the rim and as the tire spins it shears it off. usually in the most difficult position to jack up a rig to work on, so we usually winch to a safer place to do the repair.
shaggy
competition stuff?

better to winch and loose points than to try and change in stop?

any experience with super chagring jeep s6's?
messix
QUOTE(shaggy @ Jan 21 2007, 08:35 PM) *

competition stuff?

better to winch and loose points than to try and change in stop?

any experience with super chagring jeep s6's?

no competition, just trail running and playing around [showing off]. although some people in my 4x4 club have and do compete.
super charging a inline six? no most will just swap a V8 in. but when you wheeling in this area your better off to use low gearing to achieve the power. you go slow on the hard stuff. too much power just breaks expensive parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.