Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: www.turbonator.com
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
I have seen this in the back of almost every car magazine that I peruse at the news stand.

Is this just some guy taking advantage of mechanically challenged idiots (like me huh.gif ) or does this actually have some basis in technical fact?

Doug
Dave_Darling
100% SNAKE OIL.

--DD
Grelber
Doug: I've seen this, and things like it advertised for quite a while. As a mechanic told me once "If there was something like this that did all that, don't you think Detroit would have it in al their cars?"

'Nuff said.

Hopefully be seeing you at the next DFW outing.
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Grelber @ Jan 22 2007, 08:44 AM) *

Doug: I've seen this, and things like it advertised for quite a while. As a mechanic told me once "If there was something like this that did all that, don't you think Detroit would have it in al their cars?"

'Nuff said.

I am pretty suspicious by nature, but many years ago my father built something that was in some technical magazine that was supposed to increase gas mileage by 100%. While it didn't live up to its claim of 100%, it did give an increase of about 8-10 miles per gallon in his tests... He did it for the sheer joy of trying it out, but the I remember him being pretty surprised at the results.

After that, I always have to temper my suspicions by trying to gather the facts before I judge.

However, this just screamed "SNAKE OIL" (thanks Dave) to me...

Just for the sake of knowing, I'd be willing to blow the $49 bucks to see what it does! :-)

Doug
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Jan 22 2007, 12:05 PM) *
While it didn't live up to its claim of 100%, it did give an increase of about 8-10 miles per gallon in his tests...

do tell! I'd pay real money for a 10 mpg increase!
Hammy

Just for the sake of knowing, I'd be willing to blow the $49 bucks to see what it does! :-)

Doug

That's how they make their money.
JPB
To save on fuel, the best way is to commute. beer.gif
spunone
Not the old magnet on the fuel line is it??
Rand
This thing, combined with the magnets on the fuel lines, plus new titanium muffler bearings and piston return springs, and the engine oil bypass kit.... Lookout... Each one adds 10 mpg and hp. But all combined, the synergy would be revolutionary. It would put you in the triple 500 club (hp, torque, and mpg). wacko.gif
Katmanken
Mine works really great!

Only problem is, it actually creates more energy than the car can use and we keep having to siphon gas from the tank.

Other than that, it's a keeper. And, add the super duper never wax super slick car coating, and you get even better mileage and have more fun siphoning gas.

Ken
banger
Some things about it are correct though. Increased turbulence in the cylinder does contribute to more power and better mileage. But adding that in after the air cleaner will not do much good. Just consider the air path, the air then has to go through the throttle plate, then make a 90 degree turn to go n the plenum, then make 90 degree turnns to go into the runners, then another 90 to the heads, then another 90 into the cylinders. If you could keep the "vortex" through all those 90's then maybe it would work. If you were to have something like thatat the end of the intake runners or in the head, maybe you would see some benefit. There have also been people who have cut spirals into the back of the intake valves, to create a swirl of air.
Twystd1
If you cruise the net. You will find there are many reports of guys that have dyno'd these to see of they really work.

From what I read. Most of the guys either lost power or did very little.

That said.... About ten years ago or so.......
Joe Jill at Superior Automotive in California was one of the first Dyno company's to R&D test these for the manufacturer.
(You can call him and ask him about these if you choose)

I was there one of those days. On this particular day, he was using a Late El Camino with a stock TPI Vette engine in it.

On that day... The turbonator thingy worked like a charm. Made more low, mid and top end HP. Not a ton... But definetly measurable.

So apparently... They can work on a given combination.
And others have said they hurt performance.

I believe dyno charts and lap times... Not seat of the pants as much.

So there ya go... I still don't know shit about these..... Just thought I would add to the confusion....

C
Crazyhippy
I have one of these twisty things in my intake (exhaust too) makes TONS more HP, even in the intake away from the cylinders.

BJ(turbo cars rule)H biggrin.gif
sww914
Mythbusters did a show about various gas saving devices, magnets on the fuel line and all that. Every device that they tested did no good or made mpg worse, except for putting filtered cooking oil in an old Mercedes. The Mercedes actually ran with no other mods than gravity feeding the cooking oil right to the fuel pump. They didn't try putting it into the fuel tank.
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Jan 22 2007, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Grelber @ Jan 22 2007, 08:44 AM) *

'Nuff said.

I am pretty suspicious by nature, but many years ago my father built something that was in some technical magazine that was supposed to increase gas mileage by 100%. While it didn't live up to its claim of 100%, it did give an increase of about 8-10 miles per gallon in his tests... He did it for the sheer joy of trying it out, but the I remember him being pretty surprised at the results.

After that, I always have to temper my suspicions by trying to gather the facts before I judge.

However, this just screamed "SNAKE OIL" (thanks Dave) to me...

Doug

Doug--you ought to ask your dad to clean out the garage and find the thing he made. You might be set for life. Or trade it for some magic beans or something.
Cap'n Krusty
Those ads are a clever government program designed to identify and track the morons in our country. Unlike most government programs (and employees, for that matter), this one actually works! The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.